2014 Cup of China Ladies Free Skate 11/08 | Page 45 | Golden Skate

2014 Cup of China Ladies Free Skate 11/08

gotoschool

Medalist
I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but imo the team event degrades the Olympic medals. If it is continued, I think it should come after the individual events.

I agree with this. The focus to me should be on the individual competition first. It's what I care about most. I don't think it degrades the Olympics, but to go through the pressure twice (Mao and Julia) while others only do only once (Kim and Sotnikova), creates a potential disadvantage for those skaters in the individual, although its seems to have helped Carolina. Placing it after the individual event would solve this.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I liked Polina's jumps btw, but she needs to work on her arms when she is just skating - the little swooshy thing she does with her arms is really unsightly and looks super unrefined, IMHO. Keeping her arms steady would look a lot nicer than swinging them about in the flowy motion. Secondly, the Russian commentators just compared her to "biting into the ice like a tick" in the LP (akin to saying she is "hanging on" to the landing of her jumps). Like a tick? :laugh: Seriously, where do these guys get their similes from?

she should ask yuna's number and have one on one session.. been there done that..

I love you :laugh: :biggrin:

Alba

Record Breaker
That they did not costantly do interviews about the stress.

First of all, I don't see the constant interviews about the stress.
But I can see that having a multiply discussions on the same subject can give you that impression.
Second, she gave a long interview to explain herself for the mistake she made about the ceremony, and for the bad skate and preparation.
Trying to explain that she is not some kind of evil that she missed it because she didn't get the medal, as many accused her so.
Therefore she was referring to that.

Yes their stress was unique when you have the hopes of your nation on your back...
Yulia shares that with Radionova, adelina, Anna and Liza to name a few.

The hopes and expectation on your back are those from yourself, first. We are all unique and we all deal, good or bad, in our own way.
They all have their own burden and pressure, for different reasons. Some smiles some don't. Some will tell you and some not.

Following your logic, the majority of people should not feel bad, be tired, stressed or whatever, that much because there are children in Africa who dies everyday from famine, disease and wars.

I was someone who used to look great under stress.
People use te tell me: You look great! But I was feeling very bad and was exhausted, for example.
It came a time when I collapsed (in 2002), and had a violent panic attack, which I suffered for a long time.
Fortunately I've learned to keep it under control. But still today I have no idea what happened and why.

Don't get me wrong, she has the right to be stress, but she was training to he an elite skater in a country where figure skating is important.
What did she expect

I don't think she expects pity or tears. She was asked what happened and she replied honestly. One day maybe she will laugh about it.
She was not complaning, just telling about herself (the reason of any interview).
She is not saying I'm a special case. This discussion on the other hand is doing it, and that's the irony.

MalAssada

Medalist
A solution I see for the Team skating thing is actually simple when it comes to countries with plenty of skaters: Top three go to the individual event, which I believe is considered more important than the team. Now pick the skaters who placed 4th and 5th in Russian Nationals and send them to Team Event! They will be so happy to skate for Teams, because it's their only shot at getting an Olympic medal, and I think we can all agree that those who place 4th and 5th in Russian Nationals are very capable of winning Olympic medals.

Regarding liking skating, well, she said in an interview that it took her more than a year to enjoy figure skating lessons - it was her mother's choice to take her and to insist in her lessons. I think Yulia feels that it's her job to keep skating and winning titles, because of the moves and sacrifices and heck, her entire childhood was spent training for this. Giving up now would just seem :confused2:

is this another excuse for her poor performance

Oh my, will you just stop bashing her? I try to keep myself polite in talk forums but I just can't take this anymore. Excuses, you want to talk about excuses? What about brand new choreo, brand new skates, not enough time to train and stress after winning an Olympic gold just to lose it in the individual competition? She was bound to bomb one day or another, and those events just added up to make the bombing happen now. And thank god it happened now, because if this had happened in RN, Europeans or Worlds... Well, that would be more trouble.

minze

Medalist
First of all, I don't see the constant interviews about the stress.
But I can see that having a multiply discussions on the same subject can give you that impression.
Second, she gave a long interview to explain herself for the mistake she made about the ceremony, and for the bad skate and preparation.
Trying to explain that she is not some kind of evil that she missed it because she didn't get the medal, as many accused her so.
Therefore she was referring to that.

We are all unique and we all deal, good or bad, in our own way.
They all have their own burden and pressure, for different reasons. Some smiles some don't. Some will tell you and some not.
I was someone who used to look great under stress.
People use te tell me: You look great! But I was feeling very bad and was exhausted, for example.
It came a time when I collapsed (in 2002), and had a violent panic attack, which I suffered for a long time.
Fortunately I've learned to keep it under control. But still today I have no idea what happened and why.

Following your logic, the majority of people should not feel bad, be tired, stressed or whatever that much because there are children in Africa who dies everyday from famine, disease and wars.

What did she expect? I don't think she expects pity or tears.
She was asked what happened and she replied honestly. One day she will laugh about this period maybe.
She was not complaning, just telling about herself (the reason of any interview).
She is not saying I'm a special case. This discussion on the other hand is doing it, and that's the irony.

Alba with all due respect you are taking my comments out proportion... If look my other comments about Yulia I never bash her or say negative things about her. I am just giving my opinion about something posted. I stand by my comments. When you train to be an elite skater and actually make it like Yulia has. You have to expect the pressure.

Please dont bring children dying of hunger to such insignificant subject in the grand scale. Please... It just Figure Skating :)

swc0931

Rinkside
IMO, her fans should stop makes her excuses with her ages...She is 16 years old and I think she is old enough to know how to deals with lose.
Also, even junior skaters does not skips their medal ceremony even though they are not happy about their results. I understand her emotional breakdown, but her behaviors was very rude and she has no sportsmanship at all. She did not respects Liza, Kanako and Polina...Also her fans and judges who gives her silver medal!! I don't want to be means but this affects her PCS..(this is not going to happens), because she needs learns from her mistakes.

Amei

Record Breaker
Yulia shares that with Radionova, adelina, Anna and Liza to name a few.

All the Russian girls know they could skate their absolute best and still not make Europeans/Worlds team, and they know that next year - there are going to be more people vying for those 3 spots for each competition. Has to cause them a lot of stress, Yulia gave an honest answer, I see nothing wrong with it.

minze

Medalist
All the Russian girls know they could skate their absolute best and still not make Europeans/Worlds team, and they know that next year - there are going to be more people vying for those 3 spots for each competition. Has to cause them a lot of stress, Yulia gave an honest answer, I see nothing wrong with it.

See. My comment was that the pressure was to be expected. She and her team need to find a way to deal with it.

Amei

Record Breaker
IMO, her fans should stop makes her excuses with her ages...She is 16 years old and I think she is old enough to know how to deals with lose.
Also, even junior skaters does not skips their medal ceremony even though they are not happy about their results. I understand her emotional breakdown, but her behaviors was very rude and she has no sportsmanship at all. She did not respects Liza, Kanako and Polina...Also her fans and judges who gives her silver medal!! I don't want to be means but this affects her PCS..(this is not going to happens), because she needs learns from her mistakes.

So apparently you didn't read the interview (or translation of), it was an honest mistake. She owned up to it, apologized and paid her fine. But she hardly did anything to intentionally 'disrespect' anyone or be rude.

Alba

Record Breaker
Alba with all due respect you are taking my comments out proportion... If look my other comments about Yulia I never bash her or say negative things about her.

I never said, or thought, you were bashing her. I replied to your comment in all honesty and without any bad feelings. :)
Why do you think that I took your comment out of proportion?

I stand by my comments. When you train to be an elite skater and actually make it like Yulia has. You have to expect the pressure.

I don't know if she was expecting it or not. But even if she wasn't, is that a huge mistake to deserve bashing, cynicism or be alarmed? Not referring to you here.
So she is stressed. All elite athletes are. Nothing special about this case.

Please dont bring children dying of hunger to such insignificant subject in the grand scale.

You were comparing people and how and when they have to be stressed.
I brought that argument to say that in that case the majority of us should never feel anything bad, because in the grand scale of things it's nothing. That's not how the human beings work, IMO.
I was not lacking respect towards any issue. Believe me.

Please... It just Figure Skating :)

Don't tell me. I never went mad because one of my favorites didn't win, and never bashed skaters or being hateful.
From the start of this subject I've bee trying to say that this is getting out of any proportion, IMO.

cooper

Medalist
And Mao wasn't stressed, right? What's so special about Mao's and Yuna's stress? :laugh:
What are they going to teach her? Not to speak about the stress with the press? Is that the problem?

everything.. from how to deal with expectations.. with the media.. with competitions.. with rivalries.. and those ladies had done it with flying colors and not to mention represent their country very well..

minze

Medalist
I never said, or thought, you were bashing her. I replied to your comment in all honesty and without any bad feelings. :)
Why do you think that I took your comment out of proportion?

I don't know if she was expecting it or not. But even if she wasn't, is that a huge mistake to deserve bashing, cynicism or be alarmed? Not referring to you here.
So she is stressed. All elite athletes are. Nothing special about this case.

You were comparing people and how and when they have to be stressed.
I brought that argument to say that in that case the majority of us should never feel anything bad, because in the grand scale of things it's nothing. That's not how the human beings work, IMO.
I was not lacking respect towards any issue. Believe me.

Don't tell me. I never went mad because one of my favorites didn't win, and never bashed skaters or being hateful.
From the start of this subject I've bee trying to say that this is getting out of any proportion, IMO.

Apologies for comparing her to other skaters. Everyone is different. In my defense I do think Mao and Yuna are the few people who can undastand the stress. I wish Yulia well. And I still think Russian ladies will sweep the podium at worlds😃

Alba

Record Breaker
In my defense I do think Mao and Yuna are the few people who can undastand the stress.

Absolutely they do.
I thought you were saying Mao had more reasons to feel the stress, while she doesn't.
I misunderstood your post. I apologize. :)

everything.. from how to deal with expectations.. with the media.. with competitions.. with rivalries.. and those ladies had done it with flying colors and not to mention represent their country very well..

Good for them and their countries. I admire that. But many athletes have done that.
So I stand by my comment. I see nothing different.

flutz16

Match Penalty
Im sure Julia will learn alot from this from her mistakes, missing the ceremony and the fine.
she is having a Lipinski phase now but hopefully she overcomes especially with the current russian field with the likes of amazing Pogorilaya now being a breakout star

swc0931

Rinkside
So apparently you didn't read the interview (or translation of), it was an honest mistake. She owned up to it, apologized and paid her fine. But she hardly did anything to intentionally 'disrespect' anyone or be rude.

NO, I read the interview from one of the judge. He said "Lisa and Julia were confident that before the ceremony is still very time consuming. Besides Julia was in a very strong breakdown, very grieved her defeat. She fell asleep in the hotel". "Let’s start with the fact that I basically was not in Shanghai with the Russian delegation, and for very other issues. And my job was not to provide a turnout of skaters on the award. I started to call Julia, when I went out with another ceremony, I was approached by the coordinator of the ISU and said that Julia Lipnitskaya still no ice palace. I dialed her number several times. Phone was switched off." This is interview from Alexander Kogan.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I think it would be better if Yulia speaks with Mao or something, Mao was in the spotlight at a young age and also had the pressure of competing with super strong skaters from her own country, younger or older. Yulia faces a lot of external pressure in international competition and internal competition within her own country. Yuna had a lot of pressure too but it was because she was the only one who could represent her country for a while and they put all their expectations in her. For Mao and Yulia, if either of them failed, the other Russian/Japanese women could easily step up and replace them. I don't think Yulia is complaining, I like seeing some honesty.

And I agree with Sam-Skwantch about having some friends outside figure skating, it could offer a good release for her, take her mind off things. Maybe something that isn't a physical activity though since figure skating is so tiring, when I'm stressed sometimes I go play Mahjong with my neighbours haha

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist

Agreed. Try dealing with terrible ice conditions and no proper treatment for injuries at the start of your career, immense expectations, no representation from your home country, etc - and still come out #1, consistently. Mao and Yuna are the #1 darlings of their respective countries and would be the go-to people to ask for advice how to deal with them.

I think it would be better if Yulia speaks with Mao or something, Mao was in the spotlight at a young age and also had the pressure of competing with super strong skaters from her own country, younger or older. Yulia faces a lot of external pressure in international competition and internal competition within her own country. Yuna had a lot of pressure too but it was because she was the only one who could represent her country for a while and they put all their expectations in her. For Mao and Yulia, if either of them failed, the other Russian/Japanese women could easily step up and replace them. I don't think Yulia is complaining, I like seeing some honesty.

Agreed.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Apologies for comparing her to other skaters. Everyone is different. In my defense I do think Mao and Yuna are the few people who can undastand the stress. I wish Yulia well. And I still think Russian ladies will sweep the podium at worlds��
i don't think the odds favour the Russian ladies sweeping the podium. The odds of three of them skating six performances clean enough to beat such great skaters like Wagner, Gold, the Japanese contingency and Edmunds is unlikely especially if one of their so called top skaters scores only 104 points in the long program.I have not heard a general consensus on this site of any of the RUssian ladies being that dominating and all of them having major weaknesses so far actually. Anna P or Radinova may be their most consistent so far. Tut is still missing technical elements but even then anna and rad are both missing pcs wise. ADelina is injured and looked a bit tentative on her jumps and Julia is a hot mess boots, pressure, growth or whatever.

begin

Medalist
Russian Teen Skater Struggling with Depression. Retweeted by @SkatingLesson
https://twitter.com/Shan713/status/532356366279921664

Oh the irony of this. :eek:hwell:
Not to speak about the ignorance on the argument of stress vs depression.

Um? The title of the article is "Russian teen Lipnitskaia struggling with pressure" and the article does not mention anything about depression. I'm not on the anti-Julia crusade but this is just wrong.