2014 Cup of China Ladies Free Skate 11/08 | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2014 Cup of China Ladies Free Skate 11/08

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I wouldn't feel bad for her. I think that would make her sad :(

Besides...she's done very well for herself and will have plenty of time to still make friends and have a more normal life...maybe a college life :rock:

I agree, Most of us humans wouldn't get acknowledged by Putin AND Spielberg in the same week :laugh:

alebi

Medalist
I don't get why we have to look at her explanation under a microscope, what's happened has happened, we can't change the past, Yulia has apologized and accepted her punishment, it's over now

:thumbsup:

the most intelligent thing I've read in a thread created to talk about a live event (happened 4 days ago!) and ended with references to Max Aaron, Yulia's family, world conspiracies and obviously the men's accident. Things related, we're used to say, "come il cavolo a merenda"

Alba

Record Breaker
:thumbsup:

the most intelligent thing I've read in a thread created to talk about a live event (happened 4 days ago!) and ended with references to Max Aaron, Yulia's family, world conspiracies and obviously the men's accident. Things related, we're used to say, "come il cavolo a merenda"

:biggrin: :agree:

Taan

On the Ice
OTGM has turned Lipnitskaia's life into 'constant stress’'

:no:[
http://www.canada.com/sports/Olympi...tskaia+life+into+constant/10371209/story.html
Lipnitskaia, now 16 and one of Russia’s best known sports stars, said in comments on the Russian skating federation website that it was hard to live up to the expectations of her fans after her Olympic success. She said her life now has “no freedom at all.”

“Whatever you do, everything is interpreted the wrong way and then has to be justified,” Lipnitskaia said. “It’s not life, it’s constant stress.
:no:[

MalAssada

Medalist
I can't even imagine what the pressure feels like, even more after CoC... And coming from "robot" Yulia :sarcasm: it seems even worse.

NaVi

Medalist
Everything from the AP story came from this interview linked below... even the small little part they report on leaves so much nuance out.

http://fsrussia.ru/intervyu/451-yul...at-on-budet-luchshe-togo-chto-v-shankhae.html

I do think the team event was a bad decision on the part of the organizing committee.

I think the team event is a great idea... you just have to be careful about knowing if someone will catch a lot of attention and if they'll be able to handle performing twice with that added attention. I think Yulia's situation is pretty unique considering her youth, her temperament, her program, and performing in her home country.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not a huge fan of Julia's skating but I do think we have to be careful about misinterpreting her or anyone - I am not sure she is really complaining but stating what sheis going through. FAir enough. In the States there is a lot more training to deal with the media and the expectations are more clearl defined. Female top skaters have some idea that the world's eyes will be focussed on you but that focus is not so much in Russia unlike Japan and the US.

noskates

Record Breaker
I didn't like the team event. Wish they would do away with it.

But Julia, pretty much every elite skater has to deal with that kind of pressure. And there are skaters out there younger than you. You'll have to find some way or some support structure to help you deal with this - because it isn't going away.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Maybe this thread could be combined w/ Yulia's fan thread instead of leaving it as a separate topic in The Edge.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It doesn't sound as if Yulia is enjoying her career in figure skating. Maybe she feels it is something she has to do to help her family out. It is no wonder she is experiencing burnout at so young an age.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I didn't like the team event. Wish they would do away with it.

But Julia, pretty much every elite skater has to deal with that kind of pressure. And there are skaters out there younger than you. You'll have to find some way or some support structure to help you deal with this - because it isn't going away.

I think the team event was poorly organized. Rather than it being the first event, I wished it was the last event and that they have some guidelines on who's going to compete for the team event.

Also I do agree with your last statement. Yulia has to get used to it. She's honestly (imo) luckier than some as she is experiencing this pressure after the Olympics and not before.

Alba

Record Breaker
Maybe this thread could be combined w/ Yulia's fan thread instead of leaving it as a separate topic in The Edge.

This long interview, with Tatiana Flade, was already posted and discussed on fan fest and CoC Ladies free yesterday.
I guess that was not enough, and the funny thing is that this proves (if there was a need) her point.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Also I do agree with your last statement. Yulia has to get used to it. She's honestly (imo) luckier than some as she is experiencing this pressure after the Olympics and not before.

Agreed. While I sympathize about the pressure she faces, that's what happens when you win a team gold and become one of the stars of the Olympics. If she wasn't prepared to deal with pressure and how people perceive her, maybe she shouldn't have done so well in Sochi and just skated well enough in the team event to help earn gold but not win each segment. :sarcasm: I wish she'd take a page out of Yu Na's book on having to deal with pressure and expectations, but she's still young.

I think this season will psychologically be critical for her in terms of setting herself up for the next 4 years. Lipnitskaia should draw inspiration from Tuktamysheva having terrible seasons and then rising above that to become a consistent skater again with more maturity and confidence.

With a new wave of Russians though, this "woe is me" attitude isn't going to work.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I just wonder for the team event if they can just allow two entries for all 4 disciples instead of just 2 so people don't tire out too much

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I just wonder for the team event if they can just allow two entries for all 4 disciples instead of just 2 so people don't tire out too much

I agree. Although I suppose if they allow two entries for all 4 disciplines that means more well-rounded countries will have an even greater advantage than they already do have.

sses1

On the Ice
No matter the sport or context, it's difficult for a girl of her age to be suddenly thrust into the spotlight and have to deal with the pressures of being the golden girl of skating. Just from what I know about the training conditions in Russia and how her season has been going so far with the concussion and ill advised LP (which i think is partly to blame, seriously she did not look enthused during that performance and who would be with that choreo), I really do feel for her and I hope it doesn't define her in the wrong way.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... In the States there is a lot more training to deal with the media and the expectations are more clearl defined. Female top skaters have some idea that the world's eyes will be focussed on you but that focus is not so much in Russia unlike Japan and the US.

Just curious:
How much media training would someone like Lipnitskaya receive in Russia? Less than Gracie Gold in the U.S., for example?

Russia has so many elite athletes in Olympic sports. Surprised that media training for Team Russia would be any less than for Team USA or for Team Japan.

(BTW, I thought Lipnitskaya handled herself just fine in the friendly interview with Flade.)