2014 Cup of China Mens Free Skate 11/08 | Page 48 | Golden Skate

2014 Cup of China Mens Free Skate 11/08

Wo|flax

Final Flight
One question, since this is the Men's FS thread, why was Kovtun and his team so shocked and glum that he won first? Is it because his score was not significantly higher than the next? Why did people seem to not want Kovtun to win.
He also didn't perform his best, technically(fell) as well as pcs wise, but also considering the circumstances, I think they just didn't feel like celebrating exactly- it wouldnt have been appropriate.
Kovtun himself said he was just glad 'this hell was over' (paraphrasing from google translate). I don't think they thought the scores were too low or anything.

KansaiPJ

On the Ice
The issue I have is that Hanyu had no program today along with 5 falls. He looked like he was just marking his program.

Marking his program?!? Respectfully I disagree. Hanyu could barely concentrate. And during the 2nd round of warm up he reinjured his back again. While it is true that his artistic score was probably higher than it should have been due to sympathy from the judges, there was a huge gap in points between second and third. So even if the judges had not given him such a high artistic score, he would have won 2nd anyway.

I was in the audience and the power of the impact to both skaters is under-emphasized in the media. It appeared much more serious in the stadium. That both Hanyu and Han Yan refused to withdraw says a lot about their determination (though I question the ISU for not insisting). In particular, Hanyu's struggle during the FS was truly awe inspiring. :thumbsup:

rain

Record Breaker
Marking his program?!? Respectfully I disagree. Hanyu could barely concentrate. And during the 2nd round of warm up he reinjured his back again.

This is exactly the point. His program clearly suffered, and yet he got PCS points (and even technical points) as if it didn't. That is absurd. Nobody's saying it wasn't brave of him to go out there and try (though I'd also argue it was ill-advised and foolhardy), but he that doesn't mean this performance got what it deserved. It most certainly didn't. And that's a problem.

jan

On the Ice
Thank you. That was my point. The judges still had their job to do.

This is exactly the point. His program clearly suffered, and yet he got PCS points (and even technical points) as if it didn't. That is absurd. Nobody's saying it wasn't brave of him to go out there and try (though I'd also argue it was ill-advised and foolhardy), but he that doesn't mean this performance got what it deserved. It most certainly didn't. And that's a problem.

Lota

Record Breaker
But man, it was so scary watching it live :cry: At first, since Eurosport was on commercial, I couldn't see the crash, only the aftermath. And, externally, Hanyuu looked worse, so I thought that maybe Han Yan was well enough to skate. But as soon as he stepped onto the ice, all wobbly and dazed, I was like "OUT OUT OUT OUT OUT!!!!!" It was so nerve-racking, I thought at some point he would just fall and not get up... Between him and Hanyuu, that's 20 minutes of my life I never want to repear again... :no:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
"he was seeing stars, that's for sure" omg british eurosport. You guys are no longer my favorite commentators. BYE

I wanted to say, even though this was fifty squillion pages back - this comment, and a lot of the comments disparaging the Eurosport commentators for this comment, confused me.

Can someone please explain why this comment is considered so offensive?

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Can someone explain me what is Kovtun skating to, and what his costume have to do with this ? Because I don't understand, and I thought that he is looking in this costume like child that want to play a spiderman ,lol . It's not attack on Kovtun, it's honest question

adelia

Record Breaker
Kovtun's costume looked like it had a giant "eye" on the chest area. Was it just me?

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Kovtun, though not injured, was seriously 'off his groove' probably due to the collision and the practice being postponed. His LP was not impressive and not close to what he is capable of when he is in the right state of mind.

In his interview he said he was very unhappy with himself. At first he thought he was in prime condition. Then the collision happened. Then he felt some fatigue in the legs. Then when he entered the ice he was listening to the crowd's noise, saw the blood at the gate. He realized he will not make it as planned after the first salchow.http://winter.sport-express.ru/figureskating/reviews/50622/

firal

Record Breaker
Oh I totally believe Kovtun was in top form. He was landing every jump in the warm up, and if I remember correctly, even after they re-enter the ice for the second 6 minute, he was still landing them. I will admit that the whole audience was in a weird state and maybe that was affecting them too as they can feel we were unsettled.

Redstone

Rinkside
It kinda reminded me of a blue Spiderman :laugh:

It's probably very shallow of me but the costme was the most upsetting thing about his program (I see some slow progress in his SS :cool:). Max got quiet handsome recently but that shirt does him no favours.

Madness-Overload

On the Ice
Oh I totally believe Kovtun was in top form. He was landing every jump in the warm up, and if I remember correctly, even after they re-enter the ice for the second 6 minute, he was still landing them. I will admit that the whole audience was in a weird state and maybe that was affecting them too as they can feel we were unsettled.

Yeah, just imagine the shock, poor guy. I'm not a fan but I was very sad for him and the other skaters involve in this event.

emma

Record Breaker
It kinda reminded me of a blue Spiderman :laugh:

+1. Or like a spiderweb? My companion thought it was supposed to be stained glass. I'm still not sure...

Any or all of these! Yet, I quite liked it, especially the colors. I hope he does well this season.

I really like Ricky's program - too bad on the doubled jumps and fall, but that is a lovely program and I really love his flow and the way he takes his time. I also like his costume this year :)

lilshorty

On the Ice
I thought Richard Dornbush skated great. IMO he has the best skating skills out of all of the men who were in the competition, and Tracy seems to think he's good too. It's a shame he's not as successful as some other skaters. I've been following him for a while, and I think he's got the goods. I'm looking forward to watching him continue to grow and develop in the years to come.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Skaters cannot be blamed if they have a good reputation with the judges.

Why do some people blame the skaters if the judging was not good?? They didn't do anything to deserve it.
Or are people like that just opportunistic.

Well I do agree it is the judges but to be honest the people on this site are extreme fanatics and sometimes logic gets lost here. We try to be logical and do analysis but there is a lot of unbridled passion among us - let's not be fooled. I am sure in every day life a lot of people are different or there would be a lot of wars and fights out there at work, play. If we could bottle the passion we see on these pages we all would be millionaires :)