2015-2016 Programs by Discipline | Page 106 | Golden Skate

2015-2016 Programs by Discipline

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I am no expert in music or ice dance requirements. However, their teams surely are the second and can hire the first, so why on earth is getting music that fits the laid down ISU requirements for a particular dance so difficult? I don't get it. It is like what I tell students in exams: read the rubric and do exactly what it requires or you will lose marks. I am confused as to how this is happening?

It's like almost every team thought 'Oh, we'll do something creative and out of the box' or 'Let's surprise the judges with our creative and out of the box amazing waltz'. And now it seem like some teams (Chock/Bates and Weaver/Poje) have back thoughts about that, probably because there's almost zero (NONE) quality classic dances and this spot is open for grabs. It's not always about 3/4 time requirement probably, because Chock/Bates music clearly meet this requirement, but the overall expression of most of the SD'es is 'we're trying too hard'.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
It's like almost every team thought 'Oh, we'll do something creative and out of the box' or 'Let's surprise the judges with our creative and out of the box amazing waltz'. And now it seem like some teams (Chock/Bates and Weaver/Poje) have back thoughts about that, probably because there's almost zero (NONE) quality classic dances and this spot is open for grabs. It's not always about 3/4 time requirement probably, because Chock/Bates music clearly meet this requirement, but the overall expression of most of the SD'es is 'we're trying too hard'.

So, do you think the tumblr post linked above got this right?:

“Dark Eyes” may be a waltz, but has variations in tempo throughout the song, perhaps exaggerated a bit more in a pops arrangement like the Andre Rieu. The section C/B use for their Ravensburger starts out around 160 bpm for the first pattern and gets into the 170s by the second. ISU’s requirement for the Ravensburger is 198 +/- 3 bpm, maintained throughout the entirety of the pattern. Their partial step sequence is also required to maintain a constant unspecified tempo but it very clearly speeds up.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
His first jump was a 4toe even though it was underrotated.
Oh, sorry, seems I didn't pay close enough attention to it. I am too used to him not having a quad. But if Jason Brown is trying, why not Misha Ge? Hope it works out for him at some point.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Misha Ge's program at Denkova Staviski Cup. Someone says the FS is Chopin Nocturne no.19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TOPGPOEsok at 5:23:00 mark

Did anyone see the SP? I'm not loving this new FS. Last season his programs were a good balance...artistic and mature, but still very Misha, just less "out there" than his older stuff. This program nearly put me to sleep. :slink: I don't see much of his personality in there at all.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Misha Ge's program at Denkova Staviski Cup. Someone says the FS is Chopin Nocturne no.19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TOPGPOEsok at 5:23:00 mark

i kinda like the program, some nice movements and jumps with the note, also since when he rotates on both directions for spins? :jaw: when he 1st started to spin i was confused thinking "which way was CW and which way was CCW" :laugh:

about his SP, they were supposed to have livestream but they didnt whole day so i guess they wont post it

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Alexandra Stepanova & Ivan Bukin RUS
SD Waltz: The Stunt Man (soundtrack), Foxtrot: The Stunt Man (soundtrack); choreo by Irina Zhuk, Aliona Samarskaia
FD Rachmaninov's Revenge by Freddie Mercury, Montserrat Caballe; choreo by Irina Zhuk, Aliona Samarskaia

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Changes to bios from Skate America are complete :)

I am way behind with Mordavian Ornament CS and Denkova-Staviski CS.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I have gotten the Mordovian Ornament programs entered, those that I could find.

A few programs added from Denkova-Staviski cup, but there were a lot of skaters who have not updated bios, and very few vids were available from the event.

Last edited:

BlackPack

Medalist
Having seen some of the ice dance programs, it seems to me that Elena and Ruslan's Frida program is the only one with meat and substance so far. I'm disappointed in Weaver and Poje's programs and think they have peaked in earlier years; they seem to be the weakest skaters in the top 5... I highly doubt Bobrova and Soloviev will surpass Elena and Ruslan now. I'm extremely curious to see Gaby and Guillaume's programs. To me, the most naturally talented and technically able teams are Elena and Ruslan and Gaby and Guillaume. Chock and Bates can challenge them technically but artistically they don't seem to be all that exciting.

Weathergal

Medalist
Having seen some of the ice dance programs, it seems to me that Elena and Ruslan's Frida program is the only one with meat and substance so far. I'm disappointed in Weaver and Poje's programs and think they have peaked in earlier years; they seem to be the weakest skaters in the top 5... I highly doubt Bobrova and Soloviev will surpass Elena and Ruslan now. I'm extremely curious to see Gaby and Guillaume's programs. To me, the most naturally talented and technically able teams are Elena and Ruslan and Gaby and Guillaume. Chock and Bates can challenge them technically but artistically they don't seem to be all that exciting.

Totally agree with the parts in bold (not with your assessment of Weaver/Poje though, although so far this season's program is not my favorite...).

whatif

Medalist

I think Marina may have something to say about who is technically stronger team among Russians. I like Frida and I can see it as gold medal worthy programme, but if measure technical potential S/K should be somewhere at the top pile. I also think that the tide is turning on B/S. And by the end of this season, they may have to settle for third place on Russian team.

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
Very disappointed in all of the dance programs this season. The only one I thoroughly enjoy is the Shibs'... I'm excited to see what Gaby and Guillame put out, and I've yet to watch Elena and Ruslan's, though I'm excited to see it next week. Hopefully some of the top dance teams (specifically Weapo) decide to rework the programs. Maybe not change them all together, but to add a little more. Weapo's FD is so boring compared to what they've put out in recent years and I'm not a fan of the lyrics. I love them, they're my faves, but I'm just not feeling the same energy in their programs.

BlackPack

Medalist
Very disappointed in all of the dance programs this season. The only one I thoroughly enjoy is the Shibs'... I'm excited to see what Gaby and Guillame put out, and I've yet to watch Elena and Ruslan's, though I'm excited to see it next week. Hopefully some of the top dance teams (specifically Weapo) decide to rework the programs. Maybe not change them all together, but to add a little more. Weapo's FD is so boring compared to what they've put out in recent years and I'm not a fan of the lyrics. I love them, they're my faves, but I'm just not feeling the same energy in their programs.

When skaters fight to get on the podium, their programs are more interesting. As soon as they have something to lose, they play it safe with warhorses. W&P's nouveau romance style faded away; I thought they had passion in spades before. I don't know what happened to them. I think the shock of losing to C&Z, C&B, and even C&L in the past 2 years really made them scramble. Their new FD is sort of like a Muse program that combines rock with classical, but it just ends up being weird. Krylova is becoming Linichuk-esque in her program selection.

W&P have been my favorites for the past couple of years, as are B&S. B&S never had the "IT" factor and were underdogs many times, so that is why I always had a soft spot for them. But seriously, their programs have become a warhorse drag. All I can think is of Domnina and Shabalin's superior Masquerade when I saw their SD. I can see they poured their heart, soul, and hard work into improving their line and posture and other technical details. But the field now is simply too deep and the top 5 are so good. When V&M and D&W were dominant, it was 1-2 musical chairs and a 3rd spot could have been won by anyone in 3rd-6th place. Now, no one really knows who's going to win.

Many thanks for the wonderful ice dance discussion.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I finally know what Sei Kawahara's LP is. He was the only Skate Canada competitor that I was missing info for.
LP Piano Concerto (Shukumei); choreo by Kenji Miyamoto, Nanami Abe

And I added a bunch of dancers and pairs from IceChallenge to the list. I haven't done soundhound for the huge number of men and ladies yet at IceChallenge.

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
When skaters fight to get on the podium, their programs are more interesting. As soon as they have something to lose, they play it safe with warhorses. W&P's nouveau romance style faded away; I thought they had passion in spades before. I don't know what happened to them. I think the shock of losing to C&Z, C&B, and even C&L in the past 2 years really made them scramble. Their new FD is sort of like a Muse program that combines rock with classical, but it just ends up being weird. Krylova is becoming Linichuk-esque in her program selection.

W&P have been my favorites for the past couple of years, as are B&S. B&S never had the "IT" factor and were underdogs many times, so that is why I always had a soft spot for them. But seriously, their programs have become a warhorse drag. All I can think is of Domnina and Shabalin's superior Masquerade when I saw their SD. I can see they poured their heart, soul, and hard work into improving their line and posture and other technical details. But the field now is simply too deep and the top 5 are so good. When V&M and D&W were dominant, it was 1-2 musical chairs and a 3rd spot could have been won by anyone in 3rd-6th place. Now, no one really knows who's going to win.

Many thanks for the wonderful ice dance discussion.

I completely agree with you! I feel like a lot of the teams are trying to be super "different" that they've all ended up doing the same thing. Weapo have always been my favorites because of the passion and intensity they bring to their programs, but this season there's none of that - their program is almost too flat, and doesn't give them enough substance to show that range of emotions that they have in the past.

I think the Shibs really have the only FD that I enjoy so far this season. It's similar to others, in the very lyrical sense, but it works for them. It doesn't feel forced at all, while I feel like some other teams are trying too hard to fit into those lyrical programs.

I'm really not sure what'll happen at Worlds this year, but I'm guessing the podium won't be the same as last year.