2015-2016 Programs by Discipline | Page 55 | Golden Skate

2015-2016 Programs by Discipline

Celine

On the Ice
What a beautiful program!!!

Nicely selecting music which matches her classical style and evolving maturity. The heightened level of drama with this year's compositions work particularly well in my opinion with her ability to evoke a focused intensity with her face and eyes especially. Love watching her developing.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
It's been reported that Kovtun skated his new SP at The Ice..."I Can't Dance" by Genesis. :slink:

https://vk.com/maxim_kovtun

I never cared for that song and I really don't know how it would work in a competitive program...but points for originality, I guess.

I hate that song so much. Also, may get a bit of an awkward choice if he has a meltdown and starts popping jumps and so on like last season.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Interesting. I could see Mao doing this program, but I don't see Mao in any of Satoko's skating. There isn't that kind of connection in my mind between the two of them.

Okay let me rephrase my comment.

If the Mao ever become a genre, this would be a class A effort :laugh:

It is very main stream classical type of lady figure skating that Mao made famous comfortably more than any other ladies the last couple of years that follows within a particular period of European classics Romantics period to express similar dreamy/innocent feelings/moods that Satoko is doing here, especially choreographically they are all too obvious coming from the same hands of Lori Nichols... I don't even need to look it up - You can just see it + hear it. So the same choreographer, music genre, period, the fact Lizst/Chopin were buddies so likely to influence and steal from each other no different than Kanye West / Jay-Z of today, similar pale crimson shades of costumes like Mao in her signature programs. I don't even mind the baby pink costume since Satoko skate mature, and it happen to complement her for this type of music setting well, as it would have done for Mao.

Conclusion: Mao tribute.
PCS: 8/9s especially in Japan.

It's been reported that Kovtun skated his new SP at The Ice..."I Can't Dance" by Genesis. :slink:

I never cared for that song and I really don't know how it would work in a competitive program...but points for originality, I guess.

This could either ends up being a tragic comedy, or the best thing since slice of bread.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

Not inspiring music, quite the opposite, IMO. Kovtun / his coach were not able to find something better???

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Not inspiring music, quite the opposite, IMO. Kovtun / his coach were not able to find something better???

They thought something autobiographical may win over some judges. What perfect excuse for not bother with choreography and focus on the jumps.

moriel

Record Breaker
They thought something autobiographical may win over some judges. What perfect excuse for not bother with choreography and focus on the jumps.

if i was a judge, id give him some extra pcs for the fitting name lols

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've danced in Guys and Dolls twice. Fugue for Tinhorns would be a horrible choice for anything but an exhibition. Luck Be A Lady would be great however, he shouldn't use the movie version because it's horrible. I'm sure he can find a good cut from a Broadway Version. I love Javi and hope he has another great season.

I agree Fugue for Tinhorns would be impossible (and you would know better than I, having been in productions), but such a great opening number:biggrin:

I think Javi could do great things with this (I don't care if it resembles what he has done before, as long as he does it well), but when the announcement references the whole show, I get nervous that it will be some God awful medley. Instead of a final spin to Frank Sinatra's "toniiiight" (although I love Peter Gallagher's version, just cause I love Peter Gallagher, but they will never use it, no one knows him:disapp:)

caitie

Medalist
At first I was thinking of "I Won't Dance" and I thought it would be cute if they used one of the more recent remixes. But then I saw 'Genesis' and I was like, wait...

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:laugh: I liked the iguana! Maybe this would have been better as an EX - then he could have a stuffed iguana as a prop. :)

I still think it might be an EX myself but like OS168 said:

This could either ends up being a tragic comedy, or the best thing since slice of bread.
:points: :agree:
I'm extremely curious. It's kind of a smartass move on his part which makes me chuckle a little and kind of hope he can pull it off.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
It is Mao in general. From choice / structure of the music, pacing, tilt of the head, arm movements, posture, stillness, control how they hold and sell each phrasing, pretty going for the same ethreal quality Mao does bring to her programs like Liberstraume, Nocturne No.2, Clair de lune, down to the final poses, You honestly don't see it? Mao would have been a natural for this program.

I love Satoko's new program! I haven't noticed much of what you've pointed out, but the general style is very reminiscent of Mao. I feel that this program already fits Miyahara better than Miss Saigon did. Miss Saigon was a very well-constructed and choreographed program, but Satoko didn't sell me on the raw emotion and drama that it could've had. I love the costume she's wearing, too!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Hey El Henry, I think Javi would make a great Sky Masterson. He could definitely pull off looking like a young Marlon Brando with his good looks and powerful skating. By the way... Have a listen to the Jack Jones ( The Love Boat Theme Guy )version of Luck Be A Lady. That Man has a serious set of chops.

Last edited:

shine

Record Breaker
Satoko's LP is simply, simply divine, and so is she.

Okay let me rephrase my comment.

If the Mao ever become a genre, this would be a class A effort :laugh:

It is very main stream classical type of lady figure skating that Mao made famous comfortably more than any other ladies the last couple of years that follows within a particular period of European classics Romantics period to express similar dreamy/innocent feelings/moods that Satoko is doing here, especially choreographically they are all too obvious coming from the same hands of Lori Nichols... I don't even need to look it up - You can just see it + hear it. So the same choreographer, music genre, period, the fact Lizst/Chopin were buddies so likely to influence and steal from each other no different than Kanye West / Jay-Z of today, similar pale crimson shades of costumes like Mao in her signature programs. I don't even mind the baby pink costume since Satoko skate mature, and it happen to complement her for this type of music setting well, as it would have done for Mao.

Conclusion: Mao tribute.
PCS: 8/9s especially in Japan.

If to "Mao" is to skate to Romantic period piano pieces, then IMO Satoko has "out-Maoed" Mao herself. ;)

Last edited: