2015 Four Continents Free Dance Feb 13 Seoul time | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2015 Four Continents Free Dance Feb 13 Seoul time

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
W/P bounced back and won the title while C/B are the runner-up, and Shibs are third.
The results went as many expected; uninspiring. :slink:

peg

Medalist
I want kaitlyn and Andrew to win this years worlds. After that, im happy for other teams to take over.

I feel the same way.

I also think this is their best shot at winning. I expect both P/C and I/Z will likely start overtaking them in the not-too-distant future. By 2018, I think the big battles will be between those two teams. I see so much potential in those two teams, but I/Z really haven't had enough time together yet to challenge the top three teams. That'll soon cange.

rain

Record Breaker
I uploaded the top 3 FD's of Eurosport2 HD coverage:

Weaver/Poje FD B.ESP2 (720p HD)
Chock/Bates FD B.ESP2 (720p HD)
Shibutani's FD B.ESP2 (720p HD)

They weren't too hot on Weaver/Poje's FD -- said Kaitlyn's dress was distracting, and Andrew's outfit in combination didn't jive as a couple. "Not a perfect routine", and they thought W/P will not stack up against P/C at Worlds...

I thought it was hilarious that they thought P/C would be above them on the strength of.....Andrew's costume, which they found "distracting". It makes it hard to take them seriously. Also making it hard to take them seriously was their attempt to compare scores between here and Euros.

Last edited:

peg

Medalist
Didn't W/P and P/C already met in the GPF?

Yes, and W/P won, C/B were second (about 14 points behind), and P/C were third, another 5 behind C/B. I do expect Worlds to be somewhat closer though - partly because that kind of runaway victory doesn't produce enough drama, and would ice dance be without some drama? :laugh:

GF2445

Record Breaker
I feel the same way.

I also think this is their best shot at winning. I expect both P/C and I/Z will likely start overtaking them in the not-too-distant future. By 2018, I think the big battles will be between those two teams. I see so much potential in those two teams, but I/Z really haven't had enough time together yet to challenge the top three teams. That'll soon cange.

I know in my mind that Gabriella and Guillaume have the better programs, they star power is growing, yet, they are not fully fully ready yet to take the world championship crown.
To me Kaitlyn and Andrew are the better skaters for now, at this moment- it's just that their program is receiving mixed reviews. You can tell from how they dance that they have the experience.

Also, thinking about waiting in line. It's their time now. It will be the French's turn next year.
To my great sadness, next year I predict (and I hope I am wrong) that Kaitlyn and Andrew are going to experience some bad treatment from the judges, like the Italians are now facing.

kresslia

Medalist
People were predicting last year that W/P would be dumped though lol. Even I kind of thought last year was their only real chance at a World gold.

slider11

Medalist
I think Weaver and Poje may be hitting their peak and I'm not sure a dynasty of the caliber of Virtue and Moir is in their future. I think "placeholder" is harsh term because i think they do have the potential to win Worlds this year. But I agree that the French and maybe Elena and Ruslan or some other up and comer will be the competition in 2018. Hawayek and Baker? Paul and Islam?

GF2445

Record Breaker
People were predicting last year that W/P would be dumped though lol. Even I kind of thought last year was their only real chance at a World gold.

That's the thing with Ice Dance. You never know. Something might change- maybe a team who we thought of as nothing might come up to the spotlight.
Injuries can happen- Ice is slippery etc.

rain

Record Breaker
To me Kaitlyn and Andrew are the better skaters for now, at this moment- it's just that their program is receiving mixed reviews. You can tell from how they dance that they have the experience.

I always think comments like this about "mixed reviews" are interesting. It certainly hasn't gotten mixed reviews from the judges this season. So really, you're only talking about the fans — and even more specifically, the fans on this board. I think that's more due to the seemingly inevitable "we love them until they really win or are frontrunners, then suddenly they have a whole bunch of faults" rule on here. Followed by the "they're not as good as x team from the past" and "they'll never be truly iconic" comments.

It will be the French team's turn for this, I suspect, as soon as next season, if not starting this season, depending on how long they stay underdog darlings.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I always think comments like this about "mixed reviews" are interesting. It certainly hasn't gotten mixed reviews from the judges this season. So really, you're only talking about the fans — and even more specifically, the fans on this board. I think that's more due to the seemingly inevitable "we love them until they really win or are frontrunners, then suddenly they have a whole bunch of faults" rule on here. Followed by the "they're not as good as x team from the past" and "they'll never be truly iconic" comments.

It will be the French team's turn for this, I suspect, as soon as next season, if not starting this season, depending on how long they stay underdog darlings.

That is an interesting thought. I will have a think about it.

Score wise, the French team's scores have grown very quickly and their Total Score is higher than what Kaitlyn and Andrew Produced this weekend. All I know for sure is that it is going to be a close contest in Shanghai.

rain

Record Breaker
Score wise, the French team's scores have grown very quickly and their Total Score is higher than what Kaitlyn and Andrew Produced this weekend.

Europeans had massively inflated scoring, in all of the disciplines. You cannot compare the two competitions through the numbers. I will not, however, be surprised if P/C score closer to W/P at worlds than they did at the GPF where they weren't close at all.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

Oh that's just utter nonsense. You can dislike a program and still like a team. I like W/P a lot; I simply think this program is problematic on a number of levels.

rain

Record Breaker
Oh that's just utter nonsense. You can dislike a program and still like a team. I like W/P a lot; I simply think this program is problematic on a number of levels.

You may genuinely just not like this program, but you're not everybody or even most, and my statement stands, even though it may not pertain to you personally. It's not remotely nonsense. I'm sure you've been around this board long enough to have seen this happen more than once. My statement also stands about this program having gotten consistently good reviews (scores) from the judges this season.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
You may genuinely just not like this program, but you're not everybody or even most, and my statement stands, even though it may not pertain to you personally. It's not remotely nonsense. I'm sure you've been around this board long enough to have seen this happen more than once. My statement also stands about this program having gotten consistently good reviews (scores) from the judges this season.

What you're saying is that people here are so superficial that they base their own opinion of a program on a team's popularity and success? I'm sorry but I have a much higher opinion of people's ability on here to evaluate a program for themselves.

peg

Medalist
Europeans had massively inflated scoring, in all of the disciplines. You cannot compare the two competitions through the numbers. I will not, however, be surprised if P/C score closer to W/P at worlds than they did at the GPF where they weren't close at all.
Yeah, I definitely expect the scores to be closer at worlds (though probably not quite as close as last year ;) )

I think the ISU was horrified at W/P's runaway victory at GPF, and so they made sure they didn't appear as such heavy favorites this time around. :laugh:

And despite the inflated scores at Europeans, P/C still did not match W/P's GPF score of 181 and change

rain

Record Breaker
What you're saying is that people here are so superficial that they base their own opinion of a program on a team's popularity and success? I'm sorry but I have a much higher opinion of people's ability on here to evaluate a program for themselves.

Sadly, I've seen it here far too many times to dismiss it as you do. Everything's all sweetness and light as long as someone doesn't achieve too much success/threaten somebody's favourites — when they do, the critics, often former supporters, come out of the woodwork.

I'm not saying that's everyone. It's perfectly possible to just not care for a team or individual, or to just not care for a particular program from a team or individual. But the other happens too.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I didn't find EC scoring to be all that inflated. So I really think these world championships are going to be quite unpredictable and exciting with the exception of P/C only. I think it is their competition to lose. If the choreo for I/Z's FD was comparable to their SD, then we'd have a real interesting rivalry going forwards. With very few exceptions here and there most of this season was forgettable, IMHO.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I didn't find EC scoring to be all that inflated. So I really think these world championships are going to be quite unpredictable and exciting with the exception of P/C only. I think it is their competition to lose. If the choreo for I/Z's FD was comparable to their SD, then we'd have a real interesting rivalry going forwards. With very few exceptions here and there most of this season was forgettable, IMHO.

Yeah. the score inflating was not in the ice dance.
it was select skaters in the men's and ladies' events at Europeans.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
Sadly, I've seen it here far too many times to dismiss it as you do. Everything's all sweetness and light as long as someone doesn't achieve too much success/threaten somebody's favourites — when they do, the critics, often former supporters, come out of the woodwork.

I'm not saying that's everyone. It's perfectly possible to just not care for a team or individual, or to just not care for a particular program from a team or individual. But the other happens too.

I'm with you, Rain, on all your very insightful comments.:)