2015 JGP J&T Banka Aug 21 Ladies Free Skate | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2015 JGP J&T Banka Aug 21 Ladies Free Skate

ice coverage

Record Breaker
That is certainly possible. It is also possible she did not care. I was a bit of a smart aleck weirdo growing up and could easily see myself rather enjoying being the werido who was in the K&C alone... i may have liked having my own spot light so to speak.

I'm curious about this, too. I'm actually rather upset at seeing that. Maybe Emily didn't mind? Seems really odd to have a JGP with young girls, and have 'rules' force one to sit by herself in the K&C. Still, it was a very unusual thing to see.

I too am wondering whether it is possible(??) that Emily preferred to be alone -- given that her own coach could not be with her.

Emily is eighteen years old -- and I believe at that age, if I were in her shoes, I myself would not have wanted anyone with me unless I was completely comfortable with the person. Having nobody would have been better for me than having someone with whom I was ill at ease (because I simply did not know them well enough), no matter how good the person's intentions. (I do think TZ would have had only the best of intentions, for example.)

Last year Elizabet Tursynbaeva sat with her mom in the K&C while Orser was busy with another skater (Netta, IIRC), but maybe there was a rule change this year :shrug:

Thx, Lydia :). So hmmmm ... I wonder whether one of Emily's parents traveled to Slovakia ... or whether the rules have changed or ???
Again, Emily is eighteen years old, which is older than some of the other skaters, so who knows?

... But I thought that most of the time, there was a team leader for a USA delegation to international FS events. So even if the one coach was busy with the skater about to skate, I agree that SOMEONE should have been with Emily.

True that USFS has a team leader. But that's why I was wondering how strict the rules are.

Or maybe the thing was that Emily felt that being alone was the lesser evil than being with just anyone under the sun, so to speak.

Anyway, congratulations to the medalists :). Esp. Vivian :).

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's definitely possible, but there's a bunch of unknowns there at Colorado Springs. Both JPN girls are new JGP skaters. The other Russian girl (since Mikhailova is also there) is new. She definitely has potential to win/medal or at least position herself with good tiebreakers if it comes down to that. But so many unknowns make it difficult to tell this far out, after only one event.

Mikhailova probably won't get a second assignment, so who knows who will replace her. Probably someone who can beat Le. :mad:

Florentina

On the Ice
Vivian Le's music is so pretty... It's really all I have to say. I mean these girls are great jumpers, the rest will come later I guess which is totally fine. But why are so many skaters skating to music with a annoying electronic sound? Is their music like that? Or do they back ik up with electronic beats for clearer rhythms? Whatever it is I strongly dislike it

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And come on! We're in the day and age where we don't have to use traditional music anymore! It's cool to branch off towards electronic.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Mikhailova probably won't get a second assignment, so who knows who will replace her. Probably someone who can beat Le. :mad:

Vivian's gotta learn to compete, so if it means that she doesn't make the JGPF this year, that's fine. She seem absolutely delighted that she got on the podium, so I'll be delighted for her.

There's no doubt she has a lot to offer, but obviously there's things to work on, like those pesky edge jumps and as she said in her brief interview, her interpretation.

bluelutz

On the Ice
Because Polina won here, which was not a surprise at all,
if she finishes 2nd or 3rd @her next JGP,
she is going to the final.
For Mai 1st or 2nd finish @her next one will take her to the final.
Vivian needs to win @her next one in order to make the final.
2nd finish might do that for her depending on how well other competitors do, but probably not enough.
Because she is the top hope for US team to make it to the final,
if she does not win @her next one, we will see only Russian and Japanese girls @the final like last year.
For Rin, only one way to go to the final is to win her next one, which is the very tall order.
But last year Nakashio made it with 4th &1st finish which was the big surprise.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I too am wondering whether it is possible(??) that Emily preferred to be alone -- given that her own coach could not be with her.

Emily is eighteen years old -- and I believe at that age, if I were in her shoes, I myself would not have wanted anyone with me unless I was completely comfortable with the person. Having nobody would have been better for me than having someone with whom I was ill at ease (because I simply did not know them well enough), no matter how good the person's intentions. (I do think TZ would have had only the best of intentions, for example.)

That is about how I think i would have felt. I had no issues being alone, and would rather be than have uncomfortable company. We should not assume everyone is the same or is upset by the same thing others are. While i am sure TomZ would be a lot of fun in someways, he does have a very strong personality that might be a bit overwhelming for some people who have just met him.

It is an anomaly, but I am not going to fret it yet.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

God forbid she have competition at, y'know, a competition. :rolleye: I like Vivian, but I would rather see someone lose to a strong competitor than win because the odds were strongly stacked in her favor (and I'm sure you wouldn't like that either, given how you seem to find a Russian conspiracy in everything). But there's nothing that says she would necessarily lose at all...you never know who will have a good day or a bad one.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
That is about how I think i would have felt. I had no issues being alone, and would rather be than have uncomfortable company. We should not assume everyone is the same or is upset by the same thing others are. While i am sure TomZ would be a lot of fun in someways, he does have a very strong personality that might be a bit overwhelming for some people who have just met him.

It is an anomaly, but I am not going to fret it yet.

I would tend to think if this were such a common feeling, seeing someone sitting alone in the K&C wouldn't be such an anomaly? :confused2:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
That sounds like a much better idea. What mother wouldn't want to sit by her child after's skate. She's been doing it since she started skating.

Sorry that I missed this comment earlier.

To me, the question is not whether the mother wouldn't want to sit with her child.

The question is whether the child would want the mother to sit with her/him.
It is not hard to imagine that in some cases, a parent in the Kiss and Cry could make the situation more stressful for some skaters.

It all depends on the dynamics btwn a particular child and parent.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I would tend to think if this were such a common feeling, seeing someone sitting alone in the K&C wouldn't be such an anomaly? :confused2:

Honestly? When when people like Golden and I are told over and over we are wrong to be ok with being alone, some of us listen and give in, others stay pig headed. While I would have been fine with being alone, I also think i would have had to deal with a lot of well wishers offering to sit with me and making sure it's ok... really some people react to loners with confusion. Some people can only deal with people offering to help so long before they give in even if they don't want to.

I agree that if she wanted someone there, she should have it. But unless we find a rule saying she could not, I tend to think that if she was alone, it is because she was ok with it.

We are all different... that means weird is normal! It is clear that most on here would want someone, that is fine and it is wonderful the instinct is to want to make others comfortable. But still the minority of golden and I are still out there.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Um... another dumb question, but what's Mihara's 2nd event? :scratch: (And I don't think Russia wants any of the top 3 girls going against Higuchi multiple times.)

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I agree that if she wanted someone there, she should have it. But unless we find a rule saying she could not, I tend to think that if she was alone, it is because she was ok with it.

We are all different... that means weird is normal! It is clear that most on here would want someone, that is fine and it is wonderful the instinct is to want to make others comfortable. But still the minority of golden and I are still out there.

I wouldn't say that you are in the minority. And if Emily would have rather sat by herself than with a 'stranger', that doesn't necessarily mean her first choice was to sit by herself, or that she enjoyed it. (Though I do not know for certain.)

I would think it likely that a skater at their first JGP (or really any event) would prefer to have someone in the K&C with them rather than being alone, whether it be a coach, parent, friend, etc. If that person was not available due to poor planning or strict rules, I'm not sure I would call that a positive experience. But I'm just speculating.

oleada

Record Breaker
Um... another dumb question, but what's Mihara's 2nd event? :scratch: (And I don't think Russia wants any of the top 3 girls going against Higuchi multiple times.)

She's actually assigned to Linz with Higuchi, Sotskova and Sakhanovich. I'm hoping skates will be reassigned.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

I would say the reason that it is an anomaly is that in MOST cases, the skater's own coach (or choreographer) IS available to sit with the skater.

(IF Emily's own coach had been available today, she presumably would have been fine with him sitting with her. He was with her yesterday for the SP Kiss and Cry, wasn't he?)

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
She's actually assigned to Linz with Higuchi, Sotskova and Sakhanovich. I'm hoping skates will be reassigned.

Okay then... I though Russia moved Sotskova out of there to Latvia, but I guess not... so I presume that someone's getting moved out of there to Poland or Spain?

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I would say the reason that it is an anomaly is that in MOST cases, the skater's own coach (or choreographer) IS available to sit with the skater.

(IF Emily's own coach had been available today, she presumably would have been fine with him sitting with her. He was with her yesterday for the SP Kiss and Cry, wasn't he?)

In that scenario, her first preference would not have been to sit alone, and things turned out that way due to poor planning and/or unfortunate circumstances. So to lessen any confusion, my overall feeling is that it's likely she did not prefer to sit alone. That just may have been her second best option if her coach wasn't available. It is still unfortunate. I am not sure I buy the "enjoying being the weirdo alone in the K&C" theory, as mentioned previously in this thread.

Though I suppose anything is possible.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

... Or maybe the thing was that Emily felt that being alone was the lesser evil than being with just anyone under the sun, so to speak. ...

In that scenario, her first preference would not have been to sit alone, and things turned out that way due to poor planning and/or unfortunate circumstances. So to lessen any confusion, my overall feeling is that it's likely she did not prefer to sit alone. That just may have been her second best option if her coach wasn't available. It is still unfortunate. I am not sure I buy the "enjoying being the weirdo alone in the K&C" theory, as mentioned previously in this thread.

Though I suppose anything is possible.

Oy vey .. I am quoting myself -- and adding emphases -- because I never said that sitting alone would be a skater's FIRST choice whether the coach was available or not.

I was and am saying that it might have been Emily's second best option -- again, given that her coach was not available today.

(My impression is that Stitch was saying the same thing as me. That given a circumstance like today's -- of a skater's own coach being unavailable -- then in that circumstance, the skater might prefer to be alone.)