2015 Thornhill Summer Skate Aug 13-16 | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2015 Thornhill Summer Skate Aug 13-16

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Good on Elizabet and Nam, I was going to go on Sunday but on Saturday I was busy all day and was just too tired to go watch all the frees. I wanted to see Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier too but they WD from the FD so I guess it's ok I didn't go.

dasani

On the Ice

wow, your video quality is so much nicer than mine!! I was looking at my vids last night and everything seems so shaky. I felt like having motion sickness after watching my own videos:drama: But now I know what tools I need to bring with me to record next time :)

Good on Elizabet and Nam, I was going to go on Sunday but on Saturday I was busy all day and was just too tired to go watch all the frees. I wanted to see Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier too but they WD from the FD so I guess it's ok I didn't go.

I was so disappointed when they announced G&P have WD from the competition, was so looking forward to see their FD (well, and actually wanted to see how that last lift looks like live....not quite sold on that move yet:p)

This is the first time I've attend the Thornhill Summer Skate event, I'd love to come back again next year. Great event to check out the local young skaters as I'm more used to just watching skaters from the GP round usually. Not to mention the ice rink is the best place to hangout when it's 30+ degrees outside :cool:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
wow, your video quality is so much nicer than mine!! I was looking at my vids last night and everything seems so shaky. I felt like having motion sickness after watching my own videos:drama: But now I know what tools I need to bring with me to record next time :)

I was so disappointed when they announced G&P have WD from the competition, was so looking forward to see their FD (well, and actually wanted to see how that last lift looks like live....not quite sold on that move yet:p)

This is the first time I've attend the Thornhill Summer Skate event, I'd love to come back again next year. Great event to check out the local young skaters as I'm more used to just watching skaters from the GP round usually. Not to mention the ice rink is the best place to hangout when it's 30+ degrees outside :cool:

I really like their stationary lifts but yeah that last lift is very awkward... I hope they change it lol

Phew yeah, the weather yesterday was awful, 30 degrees and the humidity rendered me useless all day haha, I considered going this year because I heard Patrick Chan would be there and I guess my resolve to go disappeared after his name wasn't on the entry list. Elizabet, Nam and Piper/Paul weren't enough to convince me unfortunately. They all got decent results though and I'm excited to see them when the GPs start

dasani

On the Ice
Did anyone see Alaine hanging out??

https://instagram.com/p/6dpzKev2Tj/

I saw her yesterday only after all the event wrapped up! There was a little girl asking for her autograph :biggrin:

Fumie Suguri was there yesterday during the Free Dance & Senior Men competition, I think this is also a competition she used to participate as well.

Oh and Yuzuru's massage therapist in Toronto was also here yesterday....tho this is a rather irrelevant point except for Yuzu fans :dance:

--
ETA:
I really like their stationary lifts but yeah that last lift is very awkward... I hope they change it lol
I wonder if they are already planning on reworking that last lift hence opt to WD from FD yesterday :think:

Last edited:

smasma

On the Ice
THANKS!!!! i am still curious why she didnt go for 3T after 1st 2A :scratch: but she got level4 on everything

Elizabet's performance is simply sensational :clap: I can't wait to see more of her in GP and in World!

I was very disappointed to learn that Piper and Paul has WD too! I was sooooo looking forward to see them. I sat on my chair for 6hrs on Saturday to watch the competitions. As soon as I got up from my chair to stretch my legs and went over to the other rink, I've missed their SD. :slink:

wow, your video quality is so much nicer than mine!! I was looking at my vids last night and everything seems so shaky. I felt like having motion sickness after watching my own videos:drama: But now I know what tools I need to bring with me to record next time

Thanks dasani! :biggrin: If it wasn't for the net surrounding the rink, the quality of the vids could even be better. This is my first time taking videos in competitions. I was experimenting with my camera tools to make better vids. I'm glad the quality is ok.

smasma

On the Ice
I saw her yesterday only after all the event wrapped up! There was a little girl asking for her autograph :biggrin:

Fumie Suguri was there yesterday during the Free Dance & Senior Men competition, I think this is also a competition she used to participate as well.

Oh and Yuzuru's massage therapist in Toronto was also here yesterday....tho this is a rather irrelevant point except for Yuzu fans :dance:

Speaking of which, I thought I saw Javier Raya on Saturday, but I could be wrong. :think:

dasani

On the Ice
How many of you guys/gals are going to Autumn Classic?
Maybe the question should be "How many of you think you can get into Autumn Classic? :cry:"
They were making announcement of the Autumn Classic event in between competitions (during Thornhill Skate)...the whole time I was thinking to myself "hush....shhhhhhhhh....please don't trick these poor folks into thinking they can get into AC like the competition here today!" well that.....plus we don't need the extra competition with the tickets :biggrin:

---
ETA
Speaking of which, I thought I saw Javier Raya on Saturday, but I could be wrong. :think:
Raya posted on his instagram yesterday afternoon that he's at the Pearson airport on the way back home....so there's a chance that it's him at Thornhill Skate on Sat :laugh:

Last edited:

alia jackson

Record Breaker
Maybe the question should be "How many of you think you can get into Autumn Classic? :cry:"
They were making announcement of the Autumn Classic event in between competitions...the while time I was thinking to myself "hush....shhhhhhhhh....please don't trick these poor folks into thinking they can get into AC like the competition here today!" well that.....plus we don't need the extra competition with the tickets :biggrin:

:laugh2: yeah, and now apart from Nam and Yuzu, Duhamel and Radford will be there too :shocked:. Ok I shall not :hijacked: anymore.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
They were making announcement of the Autumn Classic event in between competitions (during Thornhill Skate)...the whole time I was thinking to myself "hush....shhhhhhhhh....please don't trick these poor folks into thinking they can get into AC like the competition here today!" well that.....plus we don't need the extra competition with the tickets :biggrin:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside

Actually for those who don't know, this is attached to local competition Octoberfest. You pay when you get there and generally there is usually a multi-day wrist band available as well -unless they've decided to change how they are ticketing the event.
IIRC it was something like $6 per day.
I think they were announcing it because there was low attendance last year and people were saying it was due to a lack of publicity.
Because the arena shares a parking lot with the high school next door, parking spots may be at a premium when school is in session.

smasma

On the Ice

Ya know what?! Their announcements in between competitions were not loud enough for me to hear clearly for the most part, especially with the loud noise from the ice resurfacer. You have good ears! I hope the others were not paying attention to the announcements. :laugh:

Raya posted on his instagram yesterday afternoon that he's at the Pearson airport on the way back home....so there's a chance that it's him at Thornhill Skate on Sat :laugh:

Ah yes, maybe I DID see Javier Raya on Saturday. :biggrin:

BTW, I have also uploaded more vids:
Stephen Gogolev's SP (though the vid is out of focus......sorry)
Keegan Messing's SP and FS

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Actually for those who don't know, this is attached to local competition Octoberfest. You pay when you get there and generally there is usually a multi-day wrist band available as well -unless they've decided to change how they are ticketing the event.
IIRC it was something like $6 per day.
I think they were announcing it because there was low attendance last year and people were saying it was due to a lack of publicity.
Because the arena shares a parking lot with the high school next door, parking spots may be at a premium when school is in session.

They did change it. Admission to Octoberfest no longer gets you into see Hanyu. Also the price is not $10.00. Golden411 found the information for us

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?55729-2015-Skate-Canada-Autumn-Classic-International-Oct-12-15&p=1203569&viewfull=1#post1203569

dasani

On the Ice
Here are my videos, they're a bit shaky comparing to smasma's. Also on the SP day I was still experiencing with my camera so there were some light flickering issues (result of camera trying to refocus under florescent lighting) which I hope have improved a bit in the FS day :)

Marika Steward FS
Eri Nishimura SP FS
Gabrielle Daleman SP FS
Elizabet Tursynbayeva SP FS
Ladies FS 6-min warm-up (Elizabet focus)

Nam Nguyen SP* FS
Mens SP 6-min warm-up (Nam focus)
Mens FS 6-min warm-up (Nam focus)

* Nam's SP is missing the opening part because my memory card decided to get full right at that moment, so I had to scrambled to insert a replacement card....so many things learned during this competition regarding filming :biggrin:

Sorry I couldn't capture more skaters during the 6-min warm-up, I would like to see how the others are doing too, especially I was quite impressed with Keegan's SP the day before and would like to see how he did during the FS warm-up. But with my limited skills I know if I try to capture too many people the video would look all over the place (and resulting in more shakiness than it already is :slink:)

---

Added: Stephen Gogolev FS *opening part missing due to whatever reason that I can't recall now :hopelessness:
Stephen Gogolev warm-up and standby time right before his FS

Last edited:

smasma

On the Ice
Here are my videos, they're a bit shaky comparing to smasma's. Also on the SP day I was still experiencing with my camera so there were some light flickering issues (result of camera trying to refocus under florescent lighting) which I hope have improved a bit in the FS day :)

Marika Steward FS
Eri Nishimura SP FS
Gabrielle Daleman SP FS
Elizabet Tursynbayeva SP FS
Ladies FS 6-min warm-up (Elizabet focus)

Nam Nguyen SP* FS
Mens SP 6-min warm-up (Nam focus)
Mens FS 6-min warm-up (Nam focus)

* Nam's SP is missing the opening part because my memory card decided to get full right at that moment, so I had to scrambled to insert a replacement card....so many things learned during this competition regarding filming :biggrin:

Sorry I couldn't capture more skaters during the 6-min warm-up, I would like to see how the others are doing too, especially I was quite impressed with Keegan's SP the day before and would like to see how he did during the FS warm-up. But with my limited skills I know if I try to capture too many people the video would look all over the place (and resulting in more shakiness than it already is :slink:)

---

Added: Stephen Gogolev FS *opening part missing due to whatever reason that I can't recall now :hopelessness:
Stephen Gogolev warm-up and standby time right before his FS

Oh you're so fast! I'm still taking my time to upload, one vid at a time. Thanks for sharing dasani! :rock:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
thanks dasani for the videos! :love: and i am glad you focused on Elizabet during warm-up for totally selfish reasons (sorry, not sorry :D) i wonder how knowledgeable her mom is about coaching and stuff, obviously she knows a lot about figure skating since her son is also figure skater too, she was(is) with her at every senior B(or junior?) last season when Brian wasnt, well even when Brian was there, reminds me of Yuna's mom, i hope she will have an amazing career just like Yuna :love: