2015 World Team Trophy Ladies SP Apr 16 | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2015 World Team Trophy Ladies SP Apr 16

Sjs5572

Final Flight
I'm really confused by this too. I'd say Elena was getting overscored earlier in the season, and now it's actually adjusting out... but she didn't have many mistakes today, unlike at Worlds and the GPF. Still don't get why her scores were so low based on this performance, relative to the rest of the season...

Because now all of the politics are behind Tut, now that she's the definitive Russian #1.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
3A got base value with -3 GoE, and of course, a deduction for the fall.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I'm really confused by this too. I'd say Elena was getting overscored earlier in the season, and now it's actually adjusting out... but she didn't have many mistakes today, unlike at Worlds and the GPF. Still don't get why her scores were so low based on this performance, relative to the rest of the season...
I guess because she's not Russian #1 anymore...? (But Rika's scores, for instance, didn't plummet over the season. Satoko's just rose. Nor did Gracie's scores plummet post Nationals, though perhaps they would've had a decent Ashley Wagner showed up at 4CC.)

I found Elena a little overscored at the Europeans SP (the GOE for the combo), but otherwise, she deserved her scores, imo.

Wow, not even a "!" call for Ashley on 3z/3t. Such a shame that she underrotated and stepped out of the flip. I guess she lost concentration after combo crucible.
Her lutz looked clean and good to me in real time. Not surprised. :bang: That flip... Spartacus was never meant to be clean, I guess...

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Do they add the FS scores to these SP scores (like normally) in this team competition, or is the FS a "separate" competition?
In past WTTs, each nation's points were given according to overall placements. But it seems like this time, you get points for each segment, much like the Olympics Team Event.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
At this point, Gracie proves herself that she doesn't have to invest her time for learning new jumps. She just brings her performance like today; clean and engaging one.
What a pity...what if she had made fewer mistakes in the SP at WC, then..she migh've gotten a World medal.

Though I'm really glad for her. :cheer:

QLutz

On the Ice

has she improved much this season?

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
I find that a bit absurd. I understand that she tried the 3A and I really like Liza's skating but that score is ridiculous.

Gracie did so well today! Wasn't expecting the 71+ score but she deserves to be in the lead. I feel bad for Ashley who almost had a clean performance and the same goes for Satoko. Kanako was underscored.

I couldn't see Zijun and the Canadians. Can anyone tell me how they did?

Indeed, it's the surprisingly little effect falls tend to have. Liza's 3A was fully rotated and credited with 5.5 points, that's almost an additional 3Lz despite the fall. I still think falls should be punished harder, but ISU obviously wants to encourage high-risk jumps. Gracie's 71 was no surprise to me, she has scored that high before when she was clean.

Last edited:

CutieP

On the Ice

has she improved much this season?

Not really, it's very much the same. She is a lot taller now though than at the beginning of the season, so I'm hoping that when she gets adjusted to her new height, her skating will be more dashing.

In past WTTs, each nation's points were given according to overall placements. But it seems like this time, you get points for each segment, much like the Olympics Team Event.

Thanks, this is what I thought.

QLutz

On the Ice
Has anyone else? Scores rise over the season for 99% of skaters, assuming they don't start skating worse. Elena is the 1%...[/

ok good point. but tuk certainly has improved, even without 3a. with gracie/ashley and the others its hard to say because their problem is consistency. elena has been uber-consistent this season, perhaps that may have something to do with it: ie having steady performance highlights a lack of improvement and therefore causes a backlash with judges? i know this isnt a good suggestion, and i agree that her scores shouldnt be dropping. i agree its frustrating and unfair (and i haven't seen her performance tonight!)

Art&Sport

Medalist
Gracie might have the edge in SS, but in TR, PE, INT, or CH, I wouldn't put her above Elena. Even clean, my attention sometimes drifts away when Gracie is skating. Never so with Elena.

Not saying Elena necessarily deserves the lead, considering the quality of the jumps, but it's a bit odd to me that other skaters' marks are rising late-season--as usual--while hers are falling. I thought she performed better than Worlds and jumped better than Europeans, but the score is lower than both. :confused:

But that's your opinion because you are drawn to Elena. I too like Elena, but at this stage, my opinion is that she is rushing, rushing to grow up fast and get to top of podium. There is a desperate quality about her and also there is still a juniorish quality about her. She tries too hard and she's OTT with the dramatic facial expressions. I can see Elena developing into a real powerhouse, but for the life of me I wish she could/ would be able to just slow down right now and allow herself to further develop and mature. She needs to work on her posture and get better costumes. Choice of music is overly ambitious for her at this point too, IMHO.

In any case, IMO Liza was over-scored in front of Gracie in areas where she's not better than Gracie. It's a lot about politics and subjectivity, particularly when talent levels are so comparatively close.

Last edited:

NaVi

Medalist
I'm trying to figure out how Liza went from 67ish with a rotated triple axel and a fall at a B event to 77ish with a rotated triple axel to 70ish with a rotated triple axel and a fall...

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Indeed, it's the surprisingly little effect falls tend to have. Liza's 3A was fully rotated and credited with 5.5 points, that's almost an additional 3Lz despite the fall. I still think falls should be punished harder, but ISU obviously wants to encourage high-risk jumps. Gracie's 71 was no surprise to me, she has scored that high before when she was clean.
Yes, 5.5 - 1 for the fall is 4.5 points for the Axel. That's more than any of her fellow competitors got on their double axels.
At this point, Gracie proves herself that she doesn't have to invest her time for learning new jumps. She just brings her performance like today; clean and engaging one.
What a pity...what if she had made fewer mistakes in the SP at WC, then..she migh've gotten a World medal.

Though I'm really glad for her. :cheer:
I disagree, she should at least try to add something to her arsenal. Right now she's dead level with Elizaveta because of Elizaveta's fall.

I also think that falls should be penalized harsher, but right now Elizaveta's strategy is paying off.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
But that's your opinion because you are drawn to Elena. I too like Elena, but at this stage, my opinion is that she is rushing, rushing to grow up fast and get to top of podium. There is a desperate quality about her and also there is still a juniorish quality about her. She tries too hard and she's OTT with the dramatic facial expressions. I can see Elena developing into a real powerhouse, but for the life of me I wish she could/ would be able to just slow down right now and allow herself to further develop and mature. She needs to work on her posture and get better costumes. Choice of music is overly ambitious for her at this point too, IMHO.

In any case, IMO Liza was over-scored in front of Gracie in areas where she's not better than Gracie. It's a lot about politics and subjectivity, particularly when talent levels are so comparatively close.
Sure. But in turn, that is your opinion, because you are drawn to Gracie. ;) I agree Elena has things to work on (though I wouldn't call her skating desperate--she looks like she's genuinely enjoying herself out there, and I can't see a desperate person being that way). However, the same goes for Gracie (emotional connection with the music/audience, more engaging programs, ect.)

Anyway, how either of us feels about Elena's skating isn't relevant. What's strange is how her scores have fallen after clean performances--which for anyone else, would only build rep/momentum, creating greater scores later on in the season.

Liza was a little overscored in some GOE and in terms of SS vs. Gracie, but the real culprit here is the (lack of) fall deduction, not the judging, imo.

I'm trying to figure out how Liza went from 67ish with a rotated triple axel and a fall at a B event to 77ish with a rotated triple axel to 70ish with a rotated triple axel and a fall...
Liza also received -GOE on her 3-3 at the B event. The GOE covers part of the points, and the extra mistake probably affected the PCS too (though I don't think we have videos of her Bavarian Open SP, so who knows).

Last edited: