2016-17 Retirements | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2016-17 Retirements

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To be honest i'm surprised that Caroline is even competing this season. Not only was she not competitive in her last few seasons but she didn't seem to want to out there skating and didn't even have a coach. I think at this point it would be a victory just to make Nationals because her skating has to many flaws at this point to fix.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
To be honest i'm surprised that Caroline is even competing this season. Not only was she not competitive in her last few seasons but she didn't seem to want to out there skating and didn't even have a coach. I think at this point it would be a victory just to make Nationals because her skating has to many flaws at this point to fix.

when considering these young athletes are also going through life, it doesn't surprise me that someone, like Caroline, could go through a phase lacking motivation and purpose... then, being away a bit from the sport makes them realize that's what they really want. I commend her for working towards her goals, whether they are truly competitive or personal.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Isn't it the same interview I posted on a page 4? :confused:

There's a bit of sorting out going on at the minute, cathlen.

stella luna actually posted that link as a new thread, obviously having not realised that it was already discussed in this thread. The Mods then moved stella luna's post to this thread, but for some reason the replies to it pointing out that you had already told us about Carly's retirement remained in the separate thread.

I've asked the Mods to re-unite the discussion about Carly's retirement, so that it is all either in here or in a separate dedicated thread.

So, don't worry. It should all be sorted out sometime soon.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
There's a bit of sorting out going on at the minute, cathlen.

stella luna actually posted that link as a new thread, obviously having not realised that it was already discussed in this thread. The Mods then moved stella luna's post to this thread, but for some reason the replies to it pointing out that you had already told us about Carly's retirement remained in the separate thread.

I've asked the Mods to re-unite the discussion about Carly's retirement, so that it is all either in here or in a separate dedicated thread.

So, don't worry. It should all be sorted out sometime soon.

CaroLiza_fan

Aaaah, ok :) I have not seen the thread discussion, so it got me confused. Thanks for explaining!

Tastetherainbow

Medalist
Are there recent retirements?

The only potential one I know if is that Vera Bazarova and Andrei Deputat have split, and Vera will decide what to do with her career after the New Year. The possibility of retirement is high, but personally I hope she will continue skating, whether in another discipline or for another country.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The only potential one I know if is that Vera Bazarova and Andrei Deputat have split, and Vera will decide what to do with her career after the New Year. The possibility of retirement is high, but personally I hope she will continue skating, whether in another discipline or for another country.

Typical. I request that a thread gets re-opened, and somebody else gets in with the news before I do! :laugh:

Well, I was finishing off doing the TV listings, so thank you.

Here is what I heard about Vera:

Russian pairs team Andrei Deputat and Vera Bazarova have split. Deputat, 23, is in the process of selecting a new partner. He may team up with Alexandra Proklova, 16, according to coach, Oleg Vasiliev. Deputat is married to Ekaterina Bobrova.

"Vera wrote a letter to the federation that ends active sports and parted ways with the federation," said Vasilyev on the phone to rsport.ru. "This can be interpreted as the end of a career. Adult, if it can not cope with the load capacity, which today are necessary for the professional career, then it is a decision based on something that is known to her alone."

Bazarova: "I did, the day before yesterday, write a statement that from January 1, I cease to be a member of the Russian national team," Bazarova told rsport.ru. "I do not think that this is my final decision. Just now, I understand that the situation in our team...we can not cooperate together more, and the fact that there are a number of the reasons.

"I decided to take a break, so I was forced to write a statement with further plans that I have not decided. I needed some kind of a little rest, at least a month or two, and after the New Year I will think about other options for continuing my career."

Source: https://www.facebook.com/IFSmagazin...526601.278550292537/10155418519412538/?type=3

From what Vasilyev said, and the way she worded things, it does sound like Vera is leaning towards retirement. But, that she doesn't want to actually come out and say it directly yet in case she gets an offer that is too good to refuse.

I hope she does get one!

CaroLiza_fan

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I was hoping the rumours that were floating for about month now weren't true, where this Russian pairs skating is going to... :(

tulosai

Record Breaker
I am sad to hear Bazarova is probably retiring. I have always really enjoyed her skating a lot, though of course her SBS jumps have never been very stable.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
OMG. Why all Canadian Ice Dance teams are retiring??? :slink: I mean, who will be left? After V/M announcing their return (so +1 team) we had Orford/Hill, Paradis/Ouellette and now Paul/Islam (-3) retiring. That's 3 teams out of top 5 of Canada... This is terrible. And it's highly probabable that after 2017/18 W/P and V/M will retire for good. Has SC supported their teams not enough? It looks very bad for them now.... I mean, USA have even more competetive teams, and there is no mass retiring, so I guess USFSA is doing something right with keeping the teams from retiring. Unlike SC, apparently. I don't believe in coincidence, when theere are 3 teams retiring within few months.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
OMG. Why all Canadian Ice Dance teams are retiring??? :slink: I mean, who will be left? After V/M announcing their return (so +1 team) we had Orford/Hill, Paradis/Ouellette and now Paul/Islam (-3) retiring. That's 3 teams out of top 5 of Canada... This is terrible. And it's highly probabable that after 2017/18 W/P and V/M will retire for good. Has SC supported their teams not enough? It looks very bad for them now.... I mean, USA have even more competetive teams, and there is no mass retiring, so I guess USFSA is doing something right with keeping the teams from retiring. Unlike SC, apparently. I don't believe in coincidence, when theere are 3 teams retiring within few months.

before throwing shade at Skate Canada, may I remind you that O/H and P/O both made the national team last year. That means they were to receive funding. They retired for personal reasons.

Regarding P/I, they have been struggling and going down the national rankings and if O/H and P/O had kept going, who knows... maybe they'd already be done...

G/P may be the only team left after 2018... however, that's still pretty encouraging for ID in Canada... there have been worse years than that.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Wow did not see this coming. Good luck to them in their future endeavors.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
before throwing shade at Skate Canada, may I remind you that O/H and P/O both made the national team last year. That means they were to receive funding. They retired for personal reasons.

Regarding P/I, they have been struggling and going down the national rankings and if O/H and P/O had kept going, who knows... maybe they'd already be done...

G/P may be the only team left after 2018... however, that's still pretty encouraging for ID in Canada... there have been worse years than that.

I know they all made National Team. But money is not the only way to support a team. And I was just asking if it's maybe partly (because I would never say that it's fully) Fed fault for that... It doesn't have to be. I've read on FSU, that from 14 Ice Dance teams that competed at Seniors last season at Canadians, only W/P and G/P are left, is that true? Or exagerated? Because it's hard to believe, but if it is, then well... hard to not make connection.

Sorry for OT, but number of Canadian teams that retired/split this season is amazing. I hope that those who split will find new partners.

TGee

Record Breaker
I know they all made National Team. But money is not the only way to support a team. And I was just asking if it's maybe partly (because I would never say that it's fully) Fed fault for that... It doesn't have to be. I've read on FSU, that from 14 Ice Dance teams that competed at Seniors last season at Canadians, only W/P and G/P are left, is that true? Or exagerated? Because it's hard to believe, but if it is, then well... hard to not make connection.

Sorry for OT, but number of Canadian teams that retired/split this season is amazing. I hope that those who split will find new partners.

The stat may include Juniors who were close to moving up internationally ...very many if the promising ice dance teams that competed in the 2015/16 JPG split, retired and headed to pursue university....Some of the dancers in the splits had promising opportunities to find new partners, but decided on education instead....

Hard to know how much V/M's return impacted their decisions...all of these teams would have been looking to move up in the next quadrennial.

It could be that coaching was a constraint. Weaver and Poje are reported to have been refused at the elite centres in Canada so it sounds as though they were not open to taking on more Canadian teams. And with the Cdn $ down relative to the US, training south of the border has become prohibitively expensive for most teams.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
cathlen, you are welcomed to discuss the state of Canadian Ice dance on our Canadian skaters thread in the edge... Briefly, and not to burden this thread, what's more alarming is what happened in the juniors... TGee raised some very good points. Regarding the seniors, I think that not every team is competing to become top 5 in the world... however, when not finding their way to top 5 in Canada, it's difficult to get international assignment and when this is going to be the scenario for at least two years, considering health, time, money, studies etc, I think these young adults in their almost mid-twenties just make a sensible decision. I quit swimming when I was 18-19... I wasn't growing any taller, it was expensive, I had to study and if at 16 I were winning my races (not at national level but still) at 18 I was barely making finals... so sometimes, being competitive is a wake up call as well... With or without Tessa and Scott, most of these teams had very little chance to make it to the Olympics.... and the next ones were already too far... It's quite a commitment to think 6 years down the road. I think that explains some splits and retirements.