2016 Ondrej Nepela Memorial Short Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2016 Ondrej Nepela Memorial Short Dance

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did Chock and Bates get a deduction for having too much lift in a program ?

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Natalia and Maks has a lot to work on. Lucky for them they have two last assignments in GP series. If not for Lucie mistake, they would be in 6th after SD.

Last edited:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Not Cannuscio/McManus getting lower PCS than many Junior teams :slink:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Not Cannuscio/McManus getting lower PCS than many Junior teams :slink:

I was surprised by their low finish in this segment after how they did last year. I guess the judges weren't loving that SD. The first music cut was kind of dull in comparison to that of most of the other teams.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
:hap10: Beautiful skating, Anastasia and Colin!

I'm really enjoying all the blues portions... especially like theirs, when the movements are stretched out. There's like a small delay, which makes the dance seem lazy and sensuous. Does that make sense?

Yes, it's a favorite trick of a lot of choreographers, to hold a move for a moment and then release it. It creates tension and anticipation, then release. Very effective. I wish more choreographers in skating would use it.

ETA: I completely forgot this was on at the same time as well everything else, so I'm catching up now. And I see that my comment above is not quite what you meant. I think you're referring to the tempo and rhythm, which is a languid blues, not a "let's party until we're sick" blues. :) Yes, languid can be lovely.

Now, I usually love their choreography (ok, I wasn't a huge fan of the Beethoven program which I thought was corny, but still...). And the blues portion of this is. gasp!, an actual sensual blues. They're playing the pattern and the blues section very straight, which is not a bad idea. And it's quite nice. Nothing earth shattering, but definitely has the right feel. The twizzles as transition between the blues and hip hop section is a bit of genius.

Then we get to the hip hop portion of the evening.

Oh dear.

I think for now I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, it's a favorite trick of a lot of choreographers, to hold a move for a moment and then release it. It creates tension and anticipation, then release. Very effective. I wish more choreographers in skating would use it.

ETA: I completely forgot this was on at the same time as well everything else, so I'm catching up now. And I see that my comment above is not quite what you meant. I think you're referring to the tempo and rhythm, which is a languid blues, not a "let's party until we're sick" blues. :) Yes, languid can be lovely.

Now, I usually love their choreography (ok, I wasn't a huge fan of the Beethoven program which I thought was corny, but still...). And the blues portion of this is. gasp!, an actual sensual blues. They're playing the pattern and the blues section very straight, which is not a bad idea. And it's quite nice. Nothing earth shattering, but definitely has the right feel. The twizzles as transition between the blues and hip hop section is a bit of genius.

I enjoyed your elucidation of particular techniques that create the emotion and musical interpretation that I was responding to. :cool: And I always think twizzles are better when they actually serve a purpose. I agree that here it's genius.

And also your initial remark about holding a movement for a moment and then releasing it. That's one of my favorite things in figure skating, across the board. The lack of that "trick" is what makes me "meh" about all the Russian baby skaters. I want to tap them on the shoulder and say, that was a beautiful position just there. Now how about holding it for a few seconds so we can enjoy it?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I enjoyed your elucidation of particular techniques that create the emotion and musical interpretation that I was responding to. :cool: And I always think twizzles are better when they actually serve a purpose. I agree that here it's genius.

And also your initial remark about holding a movement for a moment and then releasing it. That's one of my favorite things in figure skating, across the board. The lack of that "trick" is what makes me "meh" about all the Russian baby skaters. I want to tap them on the shoulder and say, that was a beautiful position just there. Now how about holding it for a few seconds so we can enjoy it?

I love the "hold and release" trick. Patrick Chan does it very effectively (it's probably the best thing he learned from his previous coach). It just makes you hold your breath for a microsecond and then "ahhhhhhhhhhh" as the move is released. And I totally 117% agree with you about holding a move for a few seconds. One of the things that I ADORED about Qween Kwan was how she would work her flow out of a jump like she was being paid by the second for it. It's SO effective, I don't know why more skaters don't do it. It just makes you look so POLISHED.

And let me tell you, your post about "recycled choreography" made my jaw drop, especially with Medvedeva. I was like Holy Scam City Batman! Bravo for that post. Bravo!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love the "hold and release" trick. Patrick Chan does it very effectively (it's probably the best thing he learned from his previous coach). It just makes you hold your breath for a microsecond and then "ahhhhhhhhhhh" as the move is released. And I totally 117% agree with you about holding a move for a few seconds. One of the things that I ADORED about Qween Kwan was how she would work her flow out of a jump like she was being paid by the second for it. It's SO effective, I don't know why more skaters don't do it. It just makes you look so POLISHED.

And let me tell you, your post about "recycled choreography" made my jaw drop, especially with Medvedeva. I was like Holy Scam City Batman! Bravo for that post. Bravo!

Well, I would love to take credit, but I can't. That was the skating butterfly, who also uses Ashley's picture as her avatar. Sorry! :eek:: I finally found what you were talking about. And I must say that I feel especially robbed after seeing Medvedeva's LP for this year. Even I, who didn't watch her last year's FS many times, could see the elements, steps, everything this year is exactly the same just with different music.