2016 Skate America Free Dance | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate America Free Dance

Nathan13

Medalist
I'd also like to point out that in their first event of the season, their FD was just about 1 point behind their PBs that they set at 2016 Worlds--this year is going to be huge for them.

elif

Medalist
Someone correct me. But isn't the lowest and highest scores thrown out during the judging. So even if she does put the lowest score, it's not going to affect it *that* much.

If scores are 2-2-2-2-2-2-1, last 1 will not count. If scores are 2-2-2-2-0-2-1 now we had to count last 1 which actual lower score we need to let go. Please don't justifty giving +2 element to 0 because it will not count. If you does that all the elements? While doing complete opposite to other teams?

Just look at number 7 judge which is Sharon. I would have understand If she is pesimistic judge who give everyone bad scores. But she scores third ranked US team better than bronze medalists of competition which is russian. If this kind of judging is OK for you now, don't be angry to russians later.

By the way final scores of H/D and B/S is not ''that'' much.

Last edited:

andy08

Rinkside
I feel the same. Like it was a good program but I still haven't got quite connected with the music yet. Hope it will grow strong!
Same for me.
The music doesn't have the "tension", the increasing intensity of last year ... I was waiting for it, but never came ...
And I like A LOT Maya and Alex. And it true, they have, now, the confidence of the champions.
As said, let's see how the LP develops ... there's some time until march ...

yuna13

On the Ice
i liked H/D more than the shibs. to me the shibs needs to move their upper body i mean they're good really good but after fix you i wanted more, i expected more.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Grrr...I had to unexpectedly go out this morning and just got home. Mao to the rescue I hope--agian! (See how utterly indispensable you are!)

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
The most entertaining program (that was not Ruslena because I am biased) for me was surprisingly Kana and Chris. They had good energy and flow.
And they didn't do lyrical. There's SO much lyrical that it's boring. Teams should be creative! :angry2:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
You really gotta feel for Zach in H/D's FD, man. You sure they've broken up and Madi's with Adri now? Oh gosh. :drama:

Thought Shibs' FD was beautiful; could definitely used some improvements!

Alex D

Record Breaker
After watching the whole competition and taping each skate (for you new folks, that means recording ;) ), I came to the conclusion that my favorite ones are again Ekaterina and Dmitri. Just like Madi & Evan, they have a very progressive way of skating. Progressive, is a term we use in music a lot and it refers to being very original, unique and a bit out of the box, while offering a new approach and different influences, you might also call it "experimental" and exactly this their skating is.

I did not check the protocols, but their curve lift was too long, so they lost a point and as often with these types of programs, the judges might not be ready for them, so they did not get the scores they might had expected. That being said, I clearly think that the Shibs were the best and most consistent team of all on both days.

As for Bobs & Sol, I am just digging their programs so much and how they interpreted each single touch of the piano was wonderful, great use of the strings for the twizzle, you could see the music painted on ice, it was absolutely incredible to see and so light footed and personally, I only saw two things that I felt need more work, the curve lift and the section after their last twizzle when they transition, but the rest was great.

As for the second Russian team, I don´t think that giving Lena a "red" dress is very smart, as it puts even more focus on her. Ruslan needs something more colorful I think, so that he can get a bit of the spotlight back, as right now, she is just everywhere and the red dress adds to that dominance even more.

But hey, I don´t want to be too critical really, I will watch my videos later and see if I can come up with a better review, when I also have the protocols ;) Nonetheless, it was a great ice dance competition, thank you very much.

caitie

Medalist
I really like the Shibs FD, but it needs to develop a little more in the way only additional mileage can provide. I think by the end of the season it will be gorgeous and amazing. Their skating is so lovely and precise that the music will really show off what they do well IMO. And their twizzles everywhere are so beautiful. Their SD is my favorite of the season so far too.

TMC

Record Breaker
You really gotta feel for Zach in H/D's FD, man. You sure they've broken up and Madi's with Adri now? Oh gosh. :drama:

Thought Shibs' FD was beautiful; could definitely used some improvements!

Well Zach is with Olivia Smart so it all worked out rather nicely ;)

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Shibs FD is doing nothing to me as of now. And I liked the execution of the program more by H/D and G/F as the second one. Other top5 teams seemed a little tensed today, hope it was just first competition nerves.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Congratulations to the Shibs, I'm pleased for them. I personally liked the FD more than their SD, but I'm sure it'll all fall into place as we go along.

I'd have liked to see Ekaterina and Dima in second place, amongst others because I think they weren't given fair scoring in the SD. I very much hope to see them in GP Final, but first and foremost, I can't wait to see them live at Rostelecom.