2016 World Championships Pairs Free Skate | Page 64 | Golden Skate

2016 World Championships Pairs Free Skate

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
It was low quality. So was the skating here. That's typically how subpar skaters win.

Quad Throw Salchow, SBS Lutzes and Throw Lutz is subpar? :slink: I am not their biggest fan but give credit where its due, their unison was amazing too. I'd prefer Sui / Han winning that whole thing but I don't mind Radford / Duhamel with two impeccable skates.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think D and R deserved to win. Yes, they do not have the p urity of excellence like S and K or V and T or on or the smoothness of Sui and Han but they have a nice solid package when they are on.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Quad Throw Salchow, SBS Lutzes and Throw Lutz is subpar? :slink: I am not their biggest fan but give credit where its due, their unison was amazing too. I'd prefer Sui / Han winning that whole thing but I don't mind Radford / Duhamel with two impeccable skates.

Firstly it's a throw flip; I saw it straight on live and it is a FLIP. Secondly the quad throws are not worthy of positive GOE.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
you can give Ares a break on the the 3LzT mention
1) all year D/R did the Lutz... and since they have worked on the quad... it messed up their set up so they went back to the flip...
2) it's the same BV so I guess ISU thinks it's as difficult... so no need to make a fuss about it...
3) judges also marked it as a 3FT... so it doesn't matter if you saw it or not... they did... oh and they also gave some positive GOE on their throws...
4) there were other pairs doing difficult elements including the throw 3Lz, so perhaps Ares is talking not only about D/R but the rest of the field also doing hard elements.... like the first ever 4Tw4 at WC....

you may say whatever you want but this pair event was deeper than last year, one of the deepest event ever, and the top two teams were very very strong.

Firstly it's a throw flip; I saw it straight on live and it is a FLIP. Secondly the quad throws are not worthy of positive GOE.

Last edited:
Brown and kwan prove the comment as you can't read anything without it saying how they didn't win Olympic gold.

Michelle Kwan is always referred to as "5-time world champion and two-time Olympic medalist."

Anyway, Michelle's "short program" is in the books. Her "long program" is just beginning.

Firstly it's a throw flip; I saw it straight on live and it is a FLIP...

But then, too, all of this is just reminiscing over the crumbs. At the actual banquet, Duhamel and Radford crushed the field.

Next time? We'll have to wait and see. Maybe Volosozhar and Trankov will get their mojo back, maybe they'll retire. Maybe Sui and Han will skate a long program as well as they skated the short program here, maybe not.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
you can give Ares a break on the the 3LzT mention
1) all year D/R did the Lutz... and since they have worked on the quad... it messed up their set up so they went back to the flip...
2) it's the same BV so I guess ISU thinks it's as difficult... so no need to make a fuss about it...
3) judges also marked it as a 3FT... so it doesn't matter if you saw it or not... they did... oh and they also gave some positive GOE on their throws...
4) there were other pairs doing difficult elements including the throw 3Lz, so perhaps Ares is talking not only about D/R but the rest of the field also doing hard elements.... like the first ever 4Tw4 at WC....

you may say whatever you want but this pair event was deeper than last year, one of the deepest event ever, and the top two teams were very very strong.

Yes it was the deepest in a while. Unfortunately across the whole event, it didn't live up to the potential. SP did for the most part.

gmyers

Record Breaker
A competition can be deep but if most are subpar so what. Deep means people who are great skate great. This was an extremely shallow competition of almost total mediocrity.

A competition can be deep but if most are subpar so what. Deep means people who are great skate great. This was an extremely shallow competition of almost total mediocrity.

True. In the long program there was only one outstanding performance.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i think some other teams came close to deliver very good performances... like I/M to mention only one... they only popped one jump... one mistake to me is still a good skate.
True. In the long program there was only one outstanding performance.

magicrider

Rinkside
What does "purity of excellence" mean? I am an English language arts teacher, but this phrase is quite meaningless.Could it mean unblemished with great quality? If so, then the only pairs skaters at the 2016 Worlds who qualified in this category were Duhamel and Radford.

rollerblade

Record Breaker

Who? There were only two 4Tw in this Worlds - one is a level 3, the other a level 2.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland

Ok but I am convinced that commentators described it as a throw lutz (they usually do one?). Either way from the camera angle available it was tough to call.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Ok but I am convinced that commentators described it as a throw lutz (they usually do one?). Either way from the camera angle available it was tough to call.

Well "technically" there is no difference per the system. But if we want to be specific she takes off from an inside edge.