2016 World Championships Pairs Free Skate | Page 63 | Golden Skate

2016 World Championships Pairs Free Skate

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Oh, please. Give it up, Max. It wasn't low quality at all. Not to your taste, okay. But D/R upped their game and won fair and square. Good for them.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Honestly, I have to agree with MaxSwagg on that point - the pairs competition was marred by subpar performances. I means we did not have the Trankovs at their best, Aliona came back with a brand new partner, the Chinese made mistakes and the other two Russian pairs have been better in the past. Overall, the skating was subpar for a Worlds championship. Plus, there was massive overscoring of the winners across all disciplines with the exception of maybe Javi. Actually, no, he was slightly overscored too just not as much or as ridiculously as the winners of the other disciplines.

It was low quality. So was the skating here. That's typically how subpar skaters win.

sweetskates1

Medalist
I agree that D/R won fair and square. It is interesting that you noted their precision - that is precisely what amazed me - how in unison they were. Clinically good and I mean that in the best of ways. They won and their fans should feel so proud. It is not their fault they were the only ones who showed up big time! And not only did they show up, they also showed up with their very best.

Oh, please. Give it up, Max. It wasn't low quality at all. Not to your taste, okay. But D/R upped their game and won fair and square. Good for them.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
chanadians gotta find ways to gloat after what happened to, nam patrick and weapo .... :D

DO NOT GIVE UP on I/M. ;) I love them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

awful result for me but I guess Duhamel & Aliona can gloat now:laugh2:
I see D/R fans already do:laugh:

all my hugs to V/T, S/H & S/K:ghug:

& yay congrats to I/M!! I almost gave up on them!!:thumbsup:
& M/H programm is a classic! Disco classic:love::laugh:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Honestly, I have to agree with MaxSwagg on that point - the pairs competition was marred by subpar performances. I means we did not have the Trankovs at their best, Aliona came back with a brand new partner, the Chinese made mistakes and the other two Russian pairs have been better in the past. Overall, the skating was subpar for a Worlds championship. Plus, there was massive overscoring of the winners across all disciplines with the exception of maybe Javi. Actually, no, he was slightly overscored too just not as much or as ridiculously as the winners of the other disciplines.
But by this logic almost every major skating event is subpar. Last year's field was not as strong, V/T sat out 2014 Worlds, in 2013 Savchenko/Szolkowy did not skate all that well, the year before V/T screwed up their SP... what makes this season different? D/R gave a super performance technically and had a very good program, even if one dislikes Adele's Hometown Glory and/or how Meagan Duhamel skated to it. That's one the best scores ever, and could have won fair and square even if others had skated closer to their ability.

Fernandez was hardly the least overscored winner. If P/C aren't averaging 10s, neither should he.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Sorry for asking this if it was already answered, but why was V/T's lift considered invalid?

julie17

Rinkside
My favourite pair was Iliushechkina/Moscovitch! I'm so insanely happy to see them skate to their potential here! Hopefully Lubov will be able to landed her SBS jumps again next season, she's such a joy to watch.

They were terrific. I really enjoyed them.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Brown and kwan prove the comment as you can't read anything without it saying how they didn't win Olympic gold.

The name is Browning, gmyers...perhaps check Wikipedia if unfamiliar. :sarcasm:

Always good to be informed, prior to posting. Good luck with your research and when you do, you may realize how irrelevant your statements are! From where I sit, you do not have to win an Olumpic Gold to be legendary in sport. World Championships are worthy, in and of themselves (i.e. Michelle & Kurt).

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I didn't say not winning olympic gold didnt mean you can't be legend its just that world titles aren't worth the same as Olympic titles. Kwan and browning aren't legends because of any result they have but their skating.

viennaskater

Medalist
I have to interrupt my crying fest over Sui/Han to ask - WHAT IS THAT MUSIC?!!! It's like Bolero mixed with Bollywood on techno base...

For Savchenko/Massot: It's a souped-up modern version of 'Solveig's Song' from Peer Gynt (by Edvard Grieg).

viennaskater

Medalist
And ALL Russian off podium!! This is so far a horrible, horrible Worlds for Russia. They may only medal in women's and even there, gold is not assured... no pun intended. At least they will medal. But...men, pairs and ice-dance... nothing!!! Shocking!

OK, ice dance was the least shocking of all. Even if B/S were there, Russian was not going to be close to a medal.

Too bad. I think they will survive it.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Brown and kwan prove the comment as you can't read anything without it saying how they didn't win Olympic gold.

Wait, what? I'm just asking a legitimate question. I want to know what the hell happened there. Was it an incorrect lift position or incorrect entry to the lift? Not sure... My only guess is that they didn't complete the rotation for the reverse lasso part? I see that they changed the lift from Europeans by cutting out the rotational part. Is that it? :confused:

Last edited:

lavoix

Match Penalty
Stolbova usually hits under pressure, so I was just shocked to see that many mistakes from HER alone. Kind of a slap in the face for her attitude at Europeans in 2015. If only she had landed her triple toe/triple toe combo, they would have had bronze.

It truly is shocking for me that no Russian pair is on the podium.

Next season I think we will see all these 3 pairs come back hungrier than before.