2017 Canadian Nats Senior Women's SP | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2017 Canadian Nats Senior Women's SP

kresslia

Medalist
I see nothing wrong with making references to a National Competition going on at the very same time as this competition, especially when the nations are as closely tied as the USA and Canada.:scratch2:

desertskates

Medalist
Was able to sneak in a minute to watch Kaetlyn---omg!!! Absolutely fantastic. This girl is really going to shake things up at the top level at Worlds this year. Great for her!

TGee

Record Breaker
Not sure that it's at all new to cross-reference or benchmark on other top world competitors. It's intended to let the domestic audience that only follows nationals, Worlds and the Olympics get a sense of where this group places internationally.

With US nationals on at the same time, and most Canadians getting the US TV coverage on cable, it's a natural comparison...

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
To me the top Canadian women look stronger than the American ladies.

Sad for Alaine underrotating.

well, Karen Chen was the only one who impressed me last night, but she is inconsistent with that 3t and usually under-rotates it, but last night I thought her rotation was complete. Gracie is very out of shape. Ashley is getting old. Mariah disappointed me :( but still is my favorite. I'm already looking at our younger skaters now, I actually paid for Ice Network, lol, so I can see them because no way will it ever be livestreamed. I would say present status of US ladies figure skating isn't looking very good. So I'm looking to the future.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The top Canadian Women just confirmed that they are not just strong technicians and great performers, but tough competitors too. :rock:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Hi hi. Taking a couple minutes before ice dance to chime in. Seeing the top 3 girls back to back was amazing. All 3 got standing ovations. Alaine got the biggest cheers because it is home for her. Kaetlyn was amazing today. Huge jumps. The spins were flawless. The first one is so much cooler in person as we can see alll the details in the change of positions. When she hit the flip combo there was a huge roar in the crowd. Yes. It was that good. I think that where she clearly wins is on her presence and performance. She is a great interpreter.

Gabby. I was a bit afraid the 81 score would scare her but she did look so strong on the ice just before it started. And then. Bang. 3t-3t. Out of this world. She finished the first jump so high. It almost looks like a huge double.

Her lutz was good too. Spins were good but less interesting. Same with the steps. Of course, it is a tough duty to go right after Kaetlyn.

Alaine looked really nervous. She seemed slower today than when i saw her at autumn classic. And of course, less speed means urs problems.

I think the judges got it right. They also made sure that there is a big margin between all 3 girls. I guess it is not over until it is over.

Sarath Tamura was great too. I hope she goes to junior worlds.

Ice dance is on its way. Ttyl.

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
well, Karen Chen was the only one who impressed me last night, but she is inconsistent with that 3t and usually under-rotates it, but last night I thought her rotation was complete. Gracie is very out of shape. Ashley is getting old. Mariah disappointed me :( but still is my favorite. I'm already looking at our younger skaters now, I actually paid for Ice Network, lol, so I can see them because no way will it ever be livestreamed. I would say present status of US ladies figure skating isn't looking very good. So I'm looking to the future.

:console: don't give up. We've only seen the shorts so far. But yeah, the key for the females is to nail their jumps clean to get the big points internationally.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Wow!!!! I just saw Kaetlyn on YouTube.......This young woman is going to medal at Worlds. Her PCS number is huge and she deserved it. Spectacular!!:cheer2:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I see nothing wrong with making references to a National Competition going on at the very same time as this competition, especially when the nations are as closely tied as the USA and Canada.:scratch2:

Not to mention, there's is a longstanding US-Canada sports rivalry (usually in hockey), so it's always a backdrop at every competition where those two countries face off.

As of today, at least we have the better leader! :biggrin:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Wow!!!! I just saw Kaetlyn on YouTube.......This young woman is going to medal at Worlds. Her PCS number is huge and she deserved it. Spectacular!!:cheer2:

This has been some of the most consistent SPs we've ever seen from any lady, let alone a Canadian. It always sets her up for a podium finish which explains her great success this season. Here's hoping for an amazing Worlds. If she manages to do two clean programs she could legitimately give Medvedeva a reason to worry.

abbykitty

Rinkside
I don't think I've ever seen the top 6 Canadian girls at nationals skate without anyone falling. most people from other countries will never understand this, but this is very exciting for canada lol. aside from the top 3 Canadian killer queens, it's good to see some promising up and comers like Sarah Tamura, Larkyn Austman and Kim Decelles.

LoveSkater

On the Ice
Country
Russia
TOP SP SCORES INCLUDING ALL COMPETITIONS

81.01 - Kaetlyn Osmond - 2017 Canadian Championships
80.60 - Kim Yuna - 68th South Korean National Championships
80.08 - Evgenia Medvedeva - 2017 Russian Championships
79.44 - Evgenia Medvedeva - 2016 Russian Championships
79.21 - Evgenia Medvedeva - ISU Grand Prix Final 2016/17
78.66 - Mao Asada - ISU World Championships 2014

Amazing.

sallycinnamon

Medalist

I agree! I find her SP stunning and she performs it exquisitely! I really hope she can do her very best at Worlds and she will win a medal. She deserves it!:hap10:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
TOP SP SCORES INCLUDING ALL COMPETITIONS

81.01 - Kaetlyn Osmond - 2017 Canadian Championships
80.60 - Kim Yuna - 68th South Korean National Championships
80.08 - Evgenia Medvedeva - 2017 Russian Championships
79.44 - Evgenia Medvedeva - 2016 Russian Championships
79.21 - Evgenia Medvedeva - ISU Grand Prix Final 2016/17
78.66 - Mao Asada - ISU World Championships 2014

Amazing.

Kaetlyn was superb, but everyone knows nationals scores are inflated and meaningless in the grand scheme of things. ISU doesn't recognize them for good reason.

liv

Record Breaker
Yup, all 4 of the top scores on that list are inflated Nationals scores... but I think each skater was pleased when they saw them anyway.