2017 Four Continents Ladies SP | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Ladies SP

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
As for consistency:
At Nebelhorn, Gabby got an edge call on the flip, fell on the second lutz, and singled the loop. 3rd place finish (Bronze)
At Skate America, Gabby fell on the lutz, got an edge call on the flip, and doubled the loop. 4th place finish
At TDF, she fell on the opening 3T, so no combo, then singled the flip. 4th place finish (with questionable ice conditions)
At 2017 Nationals, Gabby put a hand down on her lutz and stepped out of her combo. 2nd place finish (Silver)

Thanks chuckm, for proving my point re consistency!

Yes---consistent in that she lost to higher-ranked competitors because of her mistakes, and she did have mistakes at every competition. There aren't a lot of high-ranked competitors at 4CC, but there will be at Worlds---far, far more than there were at any of the competitions mentioned above.

Last year at Worlds, Gabby's mistakes in the FS were similar to what she did at Nationals: she put a hand down on a lutz and had a couple of step-outs. She finished 9th.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I would have had Osmond and Elizabet ahead of Gabby, who is nothing special.

I think Gabby is kind of special. With her exotic face and big powerful jumps, she's quite memorable. You wouldn't mistake her as one of the ice princess wanna-bes. Tiny Elizabet, like a busy little ant, just gets lost in the rink.

Anyway, she is just 0.04 points ahead of Kaetlyn, a virtual tie.

bobbob

Medalist
Osmond was very overscored...but I don't have much hope that she will be cleaner in the free. Gabby is far from consistent, but compared to Katelyn and most North American skaters she is. Compared to the Russians, she is very unpredictable and inconsistent.

I hope Mirai skates well in the free! I just hope a clean Elizabet/Mai don't lose to a messy Gabby/Katelyn.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Last year at Worlds, Gabby's mistakes in the FS were similar to what she did at Nationals: she put a hand down on a lutz and had a couple of step-outs. She finished 9th.

Or consistency in that she does not have the wild swings of an Ashley or a Karen, in terms of competition placements and has consistently been at, or near the podium at every event she entered this season...I wonder.

Thanks for the reminder and bless you once again for this! Oh that's right, you rebutted with a verse referencing last year...now that's a stretch coming for you! :noshake:

Last edited:

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Shocked by Karen's placing. A lot of skaters have said in the past that when you win a title you add a lot of pressure to yourself because now you are skating at a higher level and more is expected of you. Maybe Karen was feeling that pressure. I am sure she will bounce back in the LP. Hoping Mirai lands on the podium. Miriah looked a little juniorish to me, the music in her program requires a lot of energy and bounciness, I think she didn't quite skate to the speed that she has in the past.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
So much negativity in these last few pages of this thread...:slink:

Sorry randonfan, but this event was predicted by some of us previously, but it defies certain beliefs for some on how things, ought to be, therefore, 'deny and attack', is their game plan moving forward. Reality can be a B. at times.

Last edited:
Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
As for consistency:
At Nebelhorn, Gabby got an edge call on the flip, fell on the second lutz, and singled the loop. 3rd place finish (Bronze)
At Skate America, Gabby fell on the lutz, got an edge call on the flip, and doubled the loop. 4th place finish
At TDF, she fell on the opening 3T, so no combo, then singled the flip. 4th place finish (with questionable ice conditions)
At 2017 Nationals, Gabby put a hand down on her lutz and stepped out of her combo. 2nd place finish (Silver)

Yes---consistent in that she lost to higher-ranked competitors because of her mistakes, and she did have mistakes at every competition. There aren't a lot of high-ranked competitors at 4CC, but there will be at Worlds---far, far more than there were at any of the competitions mentioned above.

Chuck, please. What is the point of relentlessly bashing away at Daleman in this thread. She's ahead! Be happy for her. :yes:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Chuck, please. What is the point of relentlessly bashing away at Daleman in this thread. She's ahead! Be happy for her. :yes:

when it's not at Gabby, it's at Alaine or Kaetlyn or any Canadian skater doing well... It's getting a bit much. :(

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Shocked by Karen's placing. A lot of skaters have said in the past that when you win a title you add a lot of pressure to yourself because now you are skating at a higher level and more is expected of you. Maybe Karen was feeling that pressure. I am sure she will bounce back in the LP. Hoping Mirai lands on the podium. Miriah looked a little juniorish to me, the music in her program requires a lot of energy and bounciness, I think she didn't quite skate to the speed that she has in the past.

I think Karen did fine considering she was sick. Her PCS were good for someone sick and so young. Maybe being national champ of the US does have some cache. Her skating PC wise has a risk of appearing juniorish. The judges like her and are rewarding her. I am not sure Osmond is overscored. Kind of reminds of another Canadian Joannie Rochette who really did get her full respect for her pcs (not just tech). Besides her lp is the weaker so we will see if she stays on the podium The Americans might have a bit of a heart attack however if two Canadians beat all the Americans. Really there was a great chance for the American ladies to own the podium all three spots. I am sure they will move up - it would be kind of shocking to think not one of them on the podium with a weakened Japanese team.

hohoho

On the Ice
Looking back at Kaetlyn GP and GPF scores this year, with the fall on the axel and the ! on the lutz, she was scored in line with that.

rain

Record Breaker
Didn't you see all those spins that only showed the foot + blade? Didn't you see those nice body zoom ins when it was was about the arms movement?;)

The camera work is abysmal. My favourites are the body zooms that, literally, zoom in on just the torso — no head, arms or neck. What, pray tell, is that supposed to convey? I was literally leaning back from my computer trying to get the camera to zoom back out so I could see the whole body.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I would have had Osmond and Elizabet ahead of Gabby, who is nothing special.

Ouch. I guess having one of the best 3-3 combos (the only lady this year to get straight +3s on her 3-3, mind you) isn't particularly notable or anything. :sarcasm:

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Well I'm not going to lie.. I am surprised at the ladies SP.. Not so much because the Canadian girls are 1 and 2.. Gabby 1st Kaetlyn 2nd (K that order surprises me a bit) but I am surprised at the amount of mistakes. That was a pretty poor skates SP event. I hope Gabby can take some positive of being 1st and run with it. And TBH there isn't a ton of skaters here that will make a difference. Most European ladies are lower tier minus the Russians. Ashley Wagner is also missing. Other than the 3 Russians and Ashley, everyone was pretty much here that might challenge. I LOVE Gabby's attack. Shes just fierce out there. Kaetlyn can skate with the best of them in the world IMO its here jumps consistency that hurts her. Unfortunate for Karen Chen after such an unbelievable American nationals, to have that 50 something score in the SP really hurts.

cptnhastings

On the Ice
I just caught up on the dance, ladies, and pairs, and then I searched the thread to see if anyone was complaining about the camera work. And yep some of you were. :) Good job.

They really really need to figure that out before the Olympics next year. I don't want a zoomed in camera of a spin. Yuck.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I am finally watching the Ladies Short program!

Dabin Choi is one of my favorite skaters, I am happy she did well! I love her new program too!

b-man

Final Flight
Ouch. I guess having one of the best 3-3 combos (the only lady this year to get straight +3s on her 3-3, mind you) isn't particularly notable or anything. :sarcasm:

Five +2s in this comp doesn't equal straight +3s. Osmond, Elizabet, Mai, Mirai, Choi, and Bell all had 3-3's with plus GOE. But I do agree Osmond is notable, the class of the field without Satoko and Wagner.