2017 Four Continents Ladies SP | Page 41 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Ladies SP

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Five +2s in this comp doesn't equal straight +3s. Osmond, Elizabet, Mai, Mirai, Choi, and Bell all had 3-3's with plus GOE. But I do agree Osmond is notable, the class of the field without Satoko and Wagner.

CSG is referring to another competition where Gabby did receive all + 3 for her 3-3 combo... nobody else has managed this as far as i recall

Eclair

Medalist
Zijun was not as fast or energetic as Elizabet. Zijun is pretty on ice but lacks ss and speed, and the "I am going for my program" kind of spirit.

ummm excuse me, but Zijun was not slow yesterday. Did you watch the program? She definitely had that "I am going for my program" kind of spirit. It's true that she had stamina and energy issues in the past, but that was not the case yesterday.

I just want to add: I love Kaetlyn's development into a truly artistic skater. :love: great flow and SS, staying in character the whole time, and great performance! Also love her jumps! No pre-rotations!

Last edited:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
ummm excuse me, but Zijun was not slow yesterday. Did you watch the program? She definitely had that "I am going for my program" kind of spirit. It's true that she had stamina and energy issues in the past, but that was not the case yesterday.

I just want to add: I love Kaetlyn's development into a truly artistic skater. :love: great flow and SS, staying in character the whole time, and great performance! Also love her jumps! No pre-rotations!

I'm happy with her skating this year because I find her so enjoyable to watch. I'd like her no matter where she was from of course, so it's extra exciting that she's Canadian.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Five +2s in this comp doesn't equal straight +3s. Osmond, Elizabet, Mai, Mirai, Choi, and Bell all had 3-3's with plus GOE. But I do agree Osmond is notable, the class of the field without Satoko and Wagner.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMzd65TAj6R/

As far as I know, she's the only one to get straight +3s for a jumping pass this season.

Also, looking at that combo (especially the Ina before and spread eagle after) I fail to see how she is nothing special.

Last edited:

skatespin

On the Ice
Heartbroken for Nahyun Kim. She seems really unwell. I feel so bad for her because she deserves her world's spot and I would love to see her there but in her condition (which only seems to have gotten worse since nationals) I think someone else should go(probably Dabin who is consistent and in good health right now). It world be heartbreaking for Korea to only have 1 spot at their own Olympics, especially with the 3 talented senior skaters they have (Park, Nahyun, & Dabin).

Also, I think the U.S. is making a mistake by not sending Mirai to world's. Karen and Mariah are undependable, especially Karen. I know some are reporting that she is sick, but it's not like scores in the 50's at international competitions are uncommon for her. Nationals 2015 and 2017 were good for her, but those were kind of exceptions to the norm, even with those performances she had UR's that would have been called in international competition. On the other hand Mirai actually had her 3 Flip-3 Toe ratified here in the SP and it looked pretty good at nationals too. She is having some strange problem with the 3 loop, which I don't understand because that was like one of her best triples (it happened at nationals too).

3 spots for the US are looking so unlikely right now, it's sad. I can already see the drama and heartbreak in Jan. 2018 after nationals. US should re-think world's team, it's a shame that Gracie is not in good form now, I know 4th place at world's was the end of the world for her, but a solid 4th place combined with Ashley's placement is looking pretty good right now. Nationals placement does not equal a spot on the world or olympic team. Just ask Mirai, she knows all about that.

Sorry rant over.

Last edited:

Mirunna

Record Breaker
True, but personally for me the current japanese Ladies lack that special something that makes them exciting for me. This is all highly subjective, but I was never a fan of Satoko, Mai's skating leaves me cold and even Wakaba is a bit boring, at least her programs atm. Seems like Rika is written off, and she's one of the elders anyway. I loved the team of Mao, Akiko and Kanako, I cheered all of them on equally. I like Marin from the junior ladies, but still. It's not my generation, but that's okay. Preferring the Russian field in this quad and that's alright. Ups and downs.

I do agree with the above, but I would give these young skaters a bit of time. Besides Mao (who was a star since she debuted internationally), Akiko took some time to develop into the fine skater the became. Kanako was exciting as a junior, but she also became better as a skater in time (her peak form was in 2013 Worlds to me, both technically and artistically, when she was 19 years old). Both Wakaba and Mai may transform like Akiko in the future. And I also agree 100% about Marin. I do like Satoko though.
It is clearly that the Russians are superior this quad, though my favorites are basically the ones who are not making the national team :laugh: (except Anna and Polina T)

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Most European ladies are lower tier minus the Russians. Ashley Wagner is also missing. Other than the 3 Russians and Ashley, everyone was pretty much here that might challenge.
I wouldn't count Kostner out... or Miyahara...

Miller

Final Flight
Laurine Lecavalier might also sneak into the bottom half of the top 10 and spoil a few placement calculations.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
It's hard to tell with Kaetlyn's entrance honestly. The only thing I'm certain in saying is that she is not on an outside edge. I think the two angles demonstrate how hard it is to say anything for certain.

Kaetlyn 3z (!)
https://youtu.be/2TKgQm9ERQg

I don't mind ! being called but I'm awful lenient. I bet there are a lot of folks who would disagree. It should be noted that she only got .30 in GOE for this jump and maybe a negative GOE would be more appropriate but compared to say Zhenia's Lutz...I'd say this one is more flutzier if you will :laugh:

Thank you for such a detailed answer. My point was just a usual defensive reaction when some posters show their disapproval of Medvedeva even when the subject of discussion has nothing to do with Medvedeva. Liz tried to do a good job with 3Lz rippon. It turned out to be a bit awkward. She still got some positive GOE albeit not that big. What the heck has Medvedeva to do with that?

I would understand that if Zhenya were the only skater in world who gets away with wrong edge on lutz. But she routinely receives her standard ! and she jumps only 1 lutz in 2 programs. Kaethlyn collects big points from her 2 flutzes and she was not called before 4CC, even with !. So why bring Medvedeva in the first place unless we apply a h... logic?

MasterB

Final Flight
I am so annoyed by Chen and Bell.

More than anyone CHen needed this competition to create momentum into worlds, now she is in 12th.

Thank you very much Ms. American Champion.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thank you for such a detailed answer. My point was just a usual defensive reaction when some posters show their disapproval of Medvedeva even when the subject of discussion has nothing to do with Medvedeva. Liz tried to do a good job with 3Lz rippon. It turned out to be a bit awkward. She still got some positive GOE albeit not that big. What the heck has Medvedeva to do with that?

I would understand that if Zhenya were the only skater in world who gets away with wrong edge on lutz. But she routinely receives her standard ! and she jumps only 1 lutz in 2 programs. Kaethlyn collects big points from her 2 flutzes and she was not called before 4CC, even with !. So why bring Medvedeva in the first place unless we apply a h... logic?

She did get it called ! in the Skate Canada FS, but you're right, she usually gets away with it

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Haven't watched and actually don't know the results when posting this. Thought I could watch archived short somewhere before the free. But looks like fujitv has blocked the two last groups. ISU channel hasn't uploaded them either :confused: Dance free and men's short are already there. Heard it wasn't a good comp so I'll just check the results then.

But sure at least one of them must have had a good skate worth watching :unsure:

Eclair

Medalist
Haven't watched and actually don't know the results when posting this. Thought I could watch archived short somewhere before the free. But looks like fujitv has blocked the two last groups. ISU channel hasn't uploaded them either :confused: Dance free and men's short are already there. Heard it wasn't a good comp so I'll just check the results then.

But sure at least one of them must have had a good skate worth watching :unsure:

Brodele Han, Zijun Li and Mai Mihara had enjoyable skates without visible errors. Mirai and Kaetlyn are always a joy to watch even with visible errors. Elisabet did a fun sp. Dabin choi was clean with 3lutz+3toe, though artistically she can still improve. So, these are my recommendations for you ;)

brightphoton

Medalist

Yes, I bet there were at least some really good programs there.

We'll have to just imagine them, I guess. Or wait until fujitv gets tired of blocking the videos

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Yes, I bet there were at least some really good programs there.

We'll have to just imagine them, I guess. Or wait until fujitv gets tired of blocking the videos

Just curious: can fujitv also block the ISU channel uploads? and why only the women?

Anyways... what a disaster for US :confused: although Bell did a personal best.

Canadians in the lead with subpar performances I believe :( And what happend to Alaine?

Congrats to Tursynbaeva with personal best!

I don't want to read through the thread so...

... citing Ancientpeas from the men's short :laugh::
I'm not going to wade through this thread to see what you all thought as I often do. Sorrynotsorry. Love you guys but no. Did anyone say anything especially funny? I feel like someone should do a recap of threads. The greatest hits version of 4CC. I'm not volunteering. :laugh:

Hoping for better skating tomorrow in free. GO all!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am so annoyed by Chen and Bell.

More than anyone CHen needed this competition to create momentum into worlds, now she is in 12th.

Thank you very much Ms. American Champion.

This sort of comment mystifies me. It's not like they meant to skate that badly.

Though that said, if Chen was sick, she should have withdrawn.