2017 Four Continents Pairs FS | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Pairs FS

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This is worth discussing. They are definitely a "new look" pair. Typically, a big man towers over a little woman. In their case, they are relatively matched in terms of height.

I think they look like an average young college couple. The hair, the styling.

And it is an ascetic that I like very much.

i think you meant something else :)
Ascetic : characterized by or suggesting the practice of severe self-discipline and abstention from all forms of indulgence, typically for religious reasons.

Art&Sport

Medalist
^^ Must have meant "aesthetic" :)

Another point I have to make though, is that Haven and Brandon had a very good skate, in many ways better than that of Alexa/Chris. But because Alexa/Chris are considered returning top U.S. pair (despite Haven/Brandon being U.S. National champions), it's Alexa/Chris who are being given more rep and credit. Frankly, Haven/Brandon should have received much better scores in both programs, but especially the fp. They've been together a long time and they have an ease and flow and connection that even the switched Chinese pairs do not possess. It's purely figure skating politics that Haven/Brandon are rated lower at 4CCs -- they shouldn't have been. They have to get those jumps together for Worlds. But they definitely had a strong skate at 4CCs (better than Nationals) but didn't receive the marks they deserved.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i think you meant something else :)
Ascetic : characterized by or suggesting the practice of severe self-discipline and abstention from all forms of indulgence, typically for religious reasons.

Yikes! You are right. I mean aesthetic, but of course I couldn't spell it, and accidentally hit the wrong pop-up on spell check. :dumb:

skatemouse

On the Ice
The very interesting thing will be to see whether Luba/Dylan will maintain and continue to build an advantage over their own rival teammates, Seguin/Bilodeau. It's been unfortunate for S/B that they have lost ground and momentum with being out with injury for Worlds last season, and then another injury which took them out of 4CCs this year. Plus, their woes with their initial sp this season which never worked well for them. If S/B are healthy for Worlds, it will be interesting to see if I/M maintain an advantage over S/B. Certainly winning bronze at 4CCs is a feather in I/M's cap.

I'd like to say yes but don't see it. I hope judging better at World's it was way way off here. Levels were taken that shouldn't have been and I don't see them staying there. I do see S-K/K moving way way up and that is exciting!!

LadyB

Record Breaker
Sui/Han really amazed me this 4CC. I know they're capable of a lot of things, but coming back from injury like this!!! I do believe that D/R can beat them if they pull all the strings and skate clean.
Part of me is already over-excited for worlds, the S/K fan part of me is scared to death. I want them so desperately to medal, but I know they have a bit of work to do. Watching their performances at Art on Ice (I know, it's not a competition and therefore different), they should be able to up the ante.
I truly like T/M and with GPF and Euros under their belt, they'll be more than motivated to give it their best shot and I wish them all the best. The scoring will indeed be different to Euros and for sure to any GP event, therefore it remains to be seen whether J/C can pull it off again.
S/M of course always have to be counted in, but we've seen throughout the season they're not totally free from flaws. It all depends on who is best prepared and in better mental shape to dare and win during these two days in Helsinki...
Whatever happens, I wish the Knierims the very best with all of my heart.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I'd like to say yes but don't see it. I hope judging better at World's it was way way off here. Levels were taken that shouldn't have been and I don't see them staying there. I do see S-K/K moving way way up and that is exciting!!

The only way Alexa/Chris are going to move up at Worlds is if they land their sbs jumps and regain their throw quad twist.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

S-K/K : i never liked them until this week... I thought they skated with more freedom and emotion... Good for them... Not my cup of tea with some of the positions and there's just something weird I cannot express but I did enjoy their skating for the first time this week... good!!!!

D/F : one poster said they are "beige" I tend to think that too...i cannot connect... I think the most exciting pair teams in the USA, is Tran Castelli and K/O... but that's another story

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Yes, this. Dylan is a better skater with Lubov. The best thing that ever happened to Dylan was that Kirsten dumped him. Lubov and Dylan really complement each other so well, in an unexpected way. It's really a blessing that we got to see this partnership happen. They really are special.

I wish only good things for Kirsten and Micheal as well. They just seem to be taking a bit longer to develop.
I still think it was probably the stupiest thing Kirsten has ever done (I don't know her privately, she could have made some other interesting decisions as well of course, that's why I use the word "probably").
That said, I really like Lubov and I think it's great that we can see her skating. And she has improved very much in the last two years. She's gotten physically stronger, that's very obvious and I'm glad that it seems to pay off for her, that she's finally landing her jumps. She's a fine skater and she's great in those lifts. I enjoyed them today and I don't begrudge them their bronze medal, I just think that Peng/Jin would have deserved it more.
I think that clean skates are not rewarded enough. Without the fall on the last throw I think they could have won silver.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it is very healthy for the sport and encouraging that the pairs champs were dinged harshly for their pair spin.

The hit was righteous, and I'm glad the caller didn't turn a blind eye just because they were a favored team.

For the record, the justified markdown did absolutely nothing to detract from the performance for me.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I still think it was probably the stupidest thing Kirsten has ever done (I don't know her privately, she could have made some other interesting decisions as well of course, that's why I use the word "probably").
That said, I really like Lubov and I think it's great that we can see her skating. And she has improved very much in the last two years. She's gotten physically stronger, that's very obvious and I'm glad that it seems to pay off for her, that she's finally landing her jumps. She's a fine skater and she's great in those lifts. I enjoyed them today and I don't begrudge them their bronze medal, I just think that Peng/Jin would have deserved it more.
I think that clean skates are not rewarded enough. Without the fall on the last throw I think they could have won silver.

:laugh2:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Haven & Brandon have been skating together since 2002. I think they started out in roller skating. So they have defied the U.S. "breaking up the partnership" syndrome. It just worries me seeing her jump with her leg in that support? brace? or whatever it is!

Art&Sport

Medalist
S-K/K : i never liked them until this week... I thought they skated with more freedom and emotion... Good for them... Not my cup of tea with some of the positions and there's just something weird I cannot express but I did enjoy their skating for the first time this week... good!!!!

D/F : one poster said they are "beige" I tend to think that too...i cannot connect... I think the most exciting pair teams in the USA, is Tran Castelli and K/O... but that's another story

D/F are hampered by coming back from Haven's injury. They have top level lifts and good throws when Haven is healthy. They need to be more consistent on sbs, plus they need to make a next level impact with their skating overall. Music and choreo selection are important to enhancing a team's qualities and helping them to stand out. All teams need to select carefully for next season with that in mind.

Castelli/Tran are one of the most stylistic pairs teams in the world, but they will not go far unless Marissa is able to develop more difficult throw jumps, and unless they start nailing their sbs jumps. They have a real problem with the jumps, and that's a big reason IMO that they were overlooked for being sent to 4CCs. I kinda think that Castelli/Tran need to find coaches in the U.S. I realize that Merv is comfortable with Gauthier/Marcotte and training in Canada. But if he's going to becme a U.S. citizen, I think he would need to spend more time in the U.S. Plus, when neither of your coaches can accompany you to your Nationals competition, I think that's a huge drawback. Understandably Gauthier/Marcotte are invested in a number of Canadian teams and Gauthier was being honored with entry into Skate Canada Hall of Fame. Choreographer Julie Marcotte was with C/T at U.S. Nationals. To be honest, C/T had a good chance to win U.S. Nationals if they had skated better, but they didn't.

The most exciting team for me in the U.S. right now are Ashley Cain/Tim LeDuc. They really need to work hard on their weak areas including developing more difficulty with their lifts, improve their skating skills and better finesse their combo spin. On the throw jumps, Ash needs to figure out how to stop dropping forward at the waist on those landings. Does she need more core strengthening?

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
^^^Haven & Brandon have been skating together since 2002. I think they started out in roller skating. So they have defied the U.S. "breaking up the partnership" syndrome. It just worries me seeing her jump with her leg in that support? brace? or whatever it is!

Actually, Haven/Brandon did break up for a couple of seasons when one of their families moved. They got back together a couple of seasons later, and eventually won Junior Worlds.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Since internet died on me earlier, I watch last group now on Eurosport. D/R lots of little mistakes through the program. Not to mention I think it's bad music choice for them, I see no connection...