2017 GP Cup of China Pairs FS | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Cup of China Pairs FS

Tastetherainbow

Medalist
With a fixed pair spin and a successful 3S (both Sui and Yu stood up on them! Yay! Progress?) S/H are going to be in WR territory.

And S/H look great with any music! Is there anything that they can't do? :love:

For me, S/H may not be iconic like S/Z were, but that's beside the point. To any other pair, a performance with choreography like that is above average if not exemplary. And S/H most likely won't even be remembered for this performance; they have plenty programs with their own personality, and probably plenty more in the upcoming quad. What I do admire is their fearlessness to try new music and styles, I mean not even S/Z's legendary performance can deter them from choosing it! So personally I see it as growth musically and artistically and showing to the judges that nothing is too big of a challenge. And for them to commit so much to the music and choreography even with all the naysayers, I think that's the mentality of a champion, the mentality that brought D/R two world titles.

Albeit I am S/H biased :agree: There definitely is room for improvement. I'm sure with time S/H will make it even better.

And what if S/H does win gold at the Olympics? It will be a perfect conclusion and tribute to S/Z who were never able to get the gold in 2002 with it. I totally want to see that happen :pray:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Very taken by Y/Z FS program probably due to the music.. she seems to be having trouble landing jumps so far this season though she did well last season, I think. I wondered what her dress would look like and it is spot on, lovely shade of slate blue with sparkle suggesting stars and outer space. Nicely done.

nimi

Medalist
Maybe part of the problem is that you still need the triple for the SP. You have to practice two different version of one element.

And there has still not been a 4Tw who was worth more than 10.69 points. Even Sui/Han got only 1.5 points more than they usually got for their triple today.

You need at least level 3 and +2 to make this 4Tw worth the risk.
Re: quad twist

I'm just listening to the latest Icetalk episode with the Knierims where they're having an interesting discussion about the difficulty of training the 4Tw. They talk about how physically draining it is for both of them and how it's mentally tough for Alexa. The bit begins around the 40 min mark. So yeah, if doing a 4Tw only gets you 1-2 points more than doing a high level 3Tw...

Bcash

Final Flight
It's a cultural thing. For us, it's copying (that is why I wrote that my European soul doesn't really know what to think about it). For them, it's a tribute.

I don't think it should be called copying when the music cuts and choreo are so different. I still think S/Z's program was a lot better(Why haven't we heard much from that choreographer?), with better music cuts and costumes, but S/H's is just a completely new program done to meet current demands from the scoring system. It's harmless.

They probably thought this would be "regal" enough for the Olympic occasion. It's definitely more impressive than the countless Swan Lakes/Carmens/Don Qs we've seen.

skatemouse

On the Ice
You are right.

Maybe part of the problem is that you still need the triple for the SP. You have to practice two different version of one element.

And there has still not been a 4Tw who was worth more than 10.69 points. Even Sui/Han got only 1.5 points more than they usually got for their triple today.

You need at least level 3 and +2 to make this 4Tw worth the rist.
T be able to do the quad in the short is crazy if you are doing it. That said if you are doing it it is dangerous to go back and forth. Also the points?? Are they high?

Another question which I read earlier. Why did C/L wear their practice outfits? Something must have happened to her gold dress?

Bcash

Final Flight
Umm, not when it's copying

You need to be original to be a champion

otherwise everyone would just copy their favourite programs and costumes

Why is this "copying"? I don't see the fuss. People reuse warhorse music all the time. And this piece of warhorse is a lot better than some of the others.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
just watched Wenjing and Cong - and again, like yesterday the power carried by that performance left not only an aura of amazement, but also some kind of longing; it was so 'regal' in appearance, seemed too far to touch, yet it reached lots of hearts and moved huge amount of people, myself included.

after today's performance, I finally understand why they decided to do 'Turandot' - the piece is simply majestic and it's not suited to be just a pleasant background to skate to; they were able to use that majesty to show not only their skating, but to express it individually, exchanging the power of the music into impactful performance. I love the composition of the program - while first part seems to show off that 'regalness' in form of lines, big elements as musical accentuations, 'Nessun dorma' part is all about emoting, building towards dramatic finale; all done with so much care, elegance in movement/expression, thoughtfulnes in regards to respecting the music/theme, making it an integral part of this spectacle. Yes - for me it definitely surpassed just skating, executing elements to the music, they were able to (yet again) capture the essence of the piece and build a passionate story alongside elements.

From costumes, movement finishing, musicality - everything so right, so in synch together, so inspirational to watch. Again,what sets them apart is this re-focus made on non-technical aspect of Pairs skating, even taking such warhorse like 'Turandot', belonging for many to one and only Shen/Zhao - for me, while Shen/Zhao's 'Turandot' is so memorable due to its ethereal elegance and maturity in storytelling, resembling fine china, Sui/Han's version pops out due to their harmonious blending of music and movement, making something universally accessible and adding another fine china cup to the collection. While Shen/Zhao told the story for ages, Wenjing/Cong told the story of the moment, perfectly giving out the strenght of the lyrics by quality of their performance, on every level.

I think that one of the most of important thing watching the program is how spacious, balanced it is in terms of elements/transitions relationship and overall flow/fluidity between them - there is enough time to feel amazed by every single element and how they lead to it (my favourite elements are probably both spins and whole transitioning - just splendid, done so naturally). Another valuable thing is the amount of consciousness/maturity achieved already as performers - their control over every aspect of that performance was truly remarkable for me; I think that this easiness and continuity received, this impression of the flow of the story takes source also from their conviction and confidence vested into that program, despite some harsh critiques. Their maturity and responsible approach for the performance, the effectiveness of it shows even in how program strats and finishes - it's quite rare to see in Pairs this kind of 'setting the tone/atmosphere' for the program and getting that exclamation mark at the end.

And on top of that - this is a compelling design destined to build the momentum, no doubt about it. And what's more important momentum than Olympics? They chose in a risky manner, but at the end people will remember only the manner they defended that choice - and today they did it masterfully.

ETA - to add one more thought - I think that what makes us to be so invested in their programs, performances of them (thi FS included ofc), is the fact that they themselves are so personally invested into those performances altogether: by skills, expression, connection. This efforts shows and gets back to them.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I just think that it's amazing to see how far Sui and Han came from their cowboy dancing days. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3CY5e46l4U) :D Or even from their free program from four years ago (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LXMdj8r178)

Sui was so unrefined when she first got on the scene, to see the regal skater she has become is AMAZING.

For me, she was always a special skater out there, but with no immediately embraced personality, conscius individuality about self-expression. I think that a lot of this huge progress in her all-around image should be credited to the way they define, create their work: not exacly focusing solely on technical content/upgrades of it, but to balance it out with all the rest: presentation, expression, transitions, musicality. With this kind of approach, she grew not only as a skater, improving her technique, giving polish to it, but moreover - she grew p as a performer, an individuality out there with her unique way of expression, elegance in carriage, sophistication in looks, being so memorable, striking and one-of-a-kind for me.

Nika09

On the Ice
Congratulations Sui and Han with well deserved gold medal!
I didn't like the idea of Turandot as LP since beginning, idea of Hallelujah as SP even more. It was huge disappointment for me and tbh still is but S/H's effortless, smooth and beautiful skating are making everything light and bright.

Glad to see Lori changed some moments including both starting and ending poses in S/H Halleluja, which, in first version, was copy of the last years LP closing moment. Now are much more better and stunning, especially ending.
There was changings also in LP, but some really good moments has been removed, don't know why.

Congrats Sui with freshly done haircut, looks fantastic as usually! And Han helping his partner get up from the ice first, before himself after the SP is soo precious! But what about those weird costumes for him? Elegant ones last year and training outfit for Olympic season? Didn't like Sui's SP dress either

Considering group 3 lifts as requested element this season, which taking downy scores by solid couple of points from past seasons with hand-to-hand lifts, SP scores could be their PB and even WR.

And what an incredible speed they have in LP, that even slow-motion can't hide. And again, closing pose is gorgeous!

Sorry for this messy comment but can't hold it all together after Ladies event.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Sui/Han were perfection. I preferred their FS last season but this is still absolutely lovely and they're just so good together. The final lift is amazing. :love:

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
But what about those weird costumes for him? Elegant ones last year and training outfit for Olympic season?

There was some interview done where Han explains the patterns on his costumes :laugh: I think it's supposed to depict a phoenix or a dragon?

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Yu is gorgeous to look at but I wonder if this pair has maximized it's potential. Hopefully they can land everything as the season goes on.

Maybe Zhang will never again get a partner as good as Zhang.

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
Sui/Han were perfection. I preferred their FS last season but this is still absolutely lovely and they're just so good together. The final lift is amazing. :love:

Yeah, that last lift with the preceding spread eagle made the crowd go crazy. There's a beautiful, romantic quality to that spread eagle move.

I'm not completely in love with the program as a whole-- last year's FS was a masterpiece, and I still can't help but think of Shen & Zhao's program-- but it's a strong enough program to win.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I'm not completely in love with the program as a whole-- last year's FS was a masterpiece, and I still can't help but think of Shen & Zhao's program-- but it's a strong enough program to win.

And that's the problem. It's a very strong program, they have superior technical elements, they have better transitions and lines.... and yet still pales in comparison to S&Z Turnadot. This version just couldn't live up to the *iconic moment* S&Z gave us almost 15 years ago.

Nika09

On the Ice
There was some interview done where Han explains the patterns on his costumes :laugh: I think it's supposed to depict a phoenix or a dragon?

It suits with concept of their FP actually but have nothing to do with Hallelujah.
And I've just watched their EX, ohh that's costumes just should be for SP, for both Sui and Han!

JustMe

On the Ice
Well done Sui/Han! I guess the program will be good enough for an OGM, if they go clean in both segments. But I'm still not excited about turandot (1-beacuse it belongs to Shen & Zhao... 2-because it's another turandot program!)
If they would come to me for program advice (lol), I would suggest:
1- Keep the Hallelujah short, and turn Blues for Klook into a free program
2- Bring back Spanish Romance for the short, and for the free, go back Bridge over troubled waters (which we've only seen twice and not clean)
3- Go back to Blues for Klook short, and if you really want to play tribute to S/Z in the free, do your own rendition of their 97-98 Mount Olympus program!

:hap93: