2017 GP Cup of China Pairs FS | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Cup of China Pairs FS

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I do agree, And so do the judges,

But i don't agree to the original statement i commented on

That "if it ain't broke don't fix it" in this specific context

Oh i definately agree they should bring something new that is authentically to them other than paying a straight forward tribute. But that was not my impression at all with the program, i thought the grand finale at least was progressive and new.

reneerose

Final Flight
Sui and Han were lovely as usual but I miss Bridge over Troubled Water. I think that is a much more emotional program.

gold12345

Medalist
Their 4Tw could be insane. Better than S/H's one.

They have done a couple great ones. But it's a very difficult element to do on a regular basis, I'd probably consider it the most difficult element in pair skating.

though i love sui hands turandot i also cannot get over that this piece belongs someone else. i was just imagin them skatig the star wars program, which i think music is perfectly chosen. they should get a ionic program for themselfe and leve the turandot to their masters

Yes, it seems like a "tribute to Shen/Zhao" program instead of something that's completely them. But it was still very good.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I don't. I simply love Cheng and Yang together, she's much more mature than Xiaoyu, has better lines and edges overall. She's blooming with him on her side an ethereal is true chemistry between them.

Peng Cheng more mature than Xiaoyu Yu?? :confused:

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Let's say Kolyada doing a tribute to Plushy with some of the same moves, I wouldn't have complained too much.

If Kolyada would do a tribute to Kulik (naturally without the giraffe shirt), i would die happy :love: . But not in an Oly program.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Pairs FS was a big snooze-fest apart from Marchei/Hotarek and Zhang/Song!

S/H and Y/Z were underwhelming. :(

nimi

Medalist
Their 4Tw could be insane. Better than S/H's one.
It being insane is kinda the problem, I think...

I think it just demands so much power and focus that the risk/benefit calculus favors a big 3Tw4 with +3GOEs over a 4Tw with lower levels & possibly lower GOEs (if the catch isn't perfect).

Sui/Han have been doing their 4Tw for years, ever since they were itty bitty juniors. Probably because their twist relies less on his brute strength or the height they get (which is fine but not immense) and more on their timing and Sui's quick rotation, and they've been doing it for so long, it makes sense that it's a consistent element for them and doesn't throw them off easily.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
To be fair, their previous best ever score included a fall. Here there were no major problems.

Agreed. Minor errors like synchronicity in the spins and her two-foot stepout on the 3S. But when your PCS is as high as theirs to score over 1 point higher than your PB is significant. But they were very solid, on home ice,, so it's not particularly egregious either.

Inflation happens in every GP. But with not as many contenders (mainly pairs), it has definitely happened way less in China.

Jin was pretty fairly scored and no amount of home scoring would have helped him win gold. As with Yu/Zhang.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If Kolyada would do a tribute to Kulik (naturally without the giraffe shirt), i would die happy :love: . But not in an Oly program.

I actually think Rhapsody in Blue would be very suited to Mika's personality! Except he would get flayed for copying Kulik. We'll just have to settle for him being Kulik's doppelganger. ;)

Kutien

Final Flight
1080 HD No Comments, Dailymotion and Youtube
1Wenjing SUI / Cong HANCHN231.0711video
2Xiaoyu YU / Hao ZHANG CHN205.5422video
3Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Michael MARINARO CAN194.5243video
4Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISEITA190.2535video
5Valentina MARCHEI / Ondrej HOTAREKITA188.0154video
6Ashley CAIN / Timothy LEDUCUSA154.3676video
7Mingyang ZHANG / Bowen SONG CHN148.3467video

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Interesting. Sui/Han had a pair spin level problem similar to what Aljona&Bruno had in Canada. And Yu/Zhang had a similar level issue in their sbs spin.

Good to get some strict calls and work on those spins, I guess.

Yes, I meant to point that out in my point. Even on home ice, the tech panel called out that flaw -- I noticed it during the live skate, the first part of their pairs spin has been dinged in the past, and wondered if they'd be deducted accordingly... very difficult position, but it needs 3 rotations, I think. Or maybe the panel saw another issue with it. Will have to look back later.

icybear

Medalist
From a technical standpoint, pretty fair scoring. The top 2 Chinese were a bit overscored on PCS, IMO, but not crazily so.

Well compared to Canadian and Russian inflation at home, I think it is pretty fair for a bit of extra points for the Chinese skaters at home as well. Besides it's not like it changed the order of the podium unfairly

QuadThrow

Medalist
It being insane is kinda the problem, I think...

I think it just demands so much power and focus that the risk/benefit calculus favors a big 3Tw4 with +3GOEs over a 4Tw with lower levels & possibly lower GOEs (if the catch isn't perfect).

Sui/Han have been doing their 4Tw for years, ever since they were itty bitty juniors. Probably because their twist relies less on his brute strength or the height they get (which is fine but not immense) and more on their timing and Sui's quick rotation, and they've been doing it for so long, it makes sense that it's a consistent element for them and doesn't throw them off easily.

You are right.

Maybe part of the problem is that you still need the triple for the SP. You have to practice two different version of one element.

And there has still not been a 4Tw who was worth more than 10.69 points. Even Sui/Han got only 1.5 points more than they usually got for their triple today.

You need at least level 3 and +2 to make this 4Tw worth the rist.