2017 GP NHK Trophy Short Dance | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2017 GP NHK Trophy Short Dance

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
The top three to me looked a bit cautious, Anna looked as though she was being electrocuted. I think the scores of S/K for that skate set the others slightly on edge on edge, maybe brought back memories of Helsinki 2017 where the judges kept on holding up B/S. S/K had three obvious errors, the twizzles, the end of the StNtStSq and their final lift but the judges still gave them a TES of 37 and change. To their credit they have great speed, good lines and Katsalapov's skating skills. So whenever you have a GP with a top Russian team you have to bring the speed and have ice in your veins the way the Shibs did when they went to COR. My respect for the Shibs has just increased immensely after watching this competition. Also the Danes (FB/S) and the English (Co/Bu) were too cautious and slow, so in the end the judges placements seem about right to me. For me great ID deftly combines speed, confidence, and great execution sometimes great speed will trump those who don't bring their A game.

Top 2 looked fine to me I think (V/M a bit tighter than in SCI but that wasn't translating too much, and Zach, much better than at SCI). Anna on the other hand, very very cautious.
I think Shibs have learned better than anyone how to focus exclusively on themselves, that translates so well in competition. That's why they're always clean.
But yeah don't understand S/K scores, at least GOEs.
That's quite the score though... that put them with B/S and S/B. Almost like the race for the Olympic spots isn't over yet.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Top 2 looked fine to me I think (V/M a bit tighter than in SCI but that wasn't translating too much, and Zach, much better than at SCI). Anna on the other hand, very very cautious.
I think Shibs have learned better than anyone how to focus exclusively on themselves, that translates so well in competition. That's why they're always clean.
But yeah don't understand S/K scores, at least GOEs.
That's quite the score though... that put them with B/S and S/B. Almost like the race for the Olympic spots isn't over yet.

Russian Nationals is going to be a nailbiter, we will see a lot of tears.

EDIT: We're on the back end of the GP series now, so I think judges are predisposed to throwing out higher marks, plus the skaters should be in better form, well, those are my thoughts about it.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Russian Nationals is going to be a nailbiter, we will see a lot of tears.

If they score around 107 tomorrow, it's open doors. S/B got 108 but in Russia. It's Japan here. And I don't know if they can reach 108 next week in France.
I'd rather have S/B at Olympics. It wouls help them to be big challengers for podium places next year, I think they have the goods to do so.
You're right Nats are going to be crazy.

bramweld

Record Breaker
If they score around 107 tomorrow, it's open doors. S/B got 108 but in Russia. It's Japan here. And I don't know if they can reach 108 next week in France.
I'd rather have S/B at Olympics. It wouls help them to be big challengers for podium places next year, I think they have the goods to do so.
You're right Nats are going to be crazy.

And not only for ice dance mind you :)

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Not sure, it was such a good idea. I love the choreography, but C/B, even though a lovely couple, will never be Torvill and Dean.

That's understood. I mean more in the way of not another terrible and faceless latin program on offensive random loud music cuts but something a little classier.

NicolettaL

Final Flight
+2 and +3 for twizless of v/m?
But then they have would scored below 80 ,and then it would be the fault of Molina , because he is french(?) or he must liking french..
Hard die of fans from some time they ve been talking about having him as technical controller and even canadian being perfect and magnificient wont stop him from undescoring them. If canadians dont get WR becasue of him,obviosuly . They knew that all from the beggining.

I'm quite sure he is not French
But he consulted for PapCiz in the past.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Whatever was suggested before, V/M would have broken their record if not the mistake. With Molina on the panel. People forget that since he consulted for PapaCiz, he knows Romain, Marie-France and Patrice. These 3 coach Tessa&Scott.

I think there are many other judges that V/M should be worried about (Hi Sharon Rodgers) but the French judge isn't one. I think some people wanted to find an excuse in case of level issues also (Not everyone obviously, some other were definitely worried that's understandable). Even the French judge did a pretty good job. In any case that's reassuring.
I don't really find Canadian/French judge problems with V/M & P/C (they can inflate a bit but at least they aren't underscored by the rival country). It's usually with American and Italian judges that they have issues with... :palmf:

Purv

Match Penalty
Whatever was suggested before, V/M would have broken their record if not the mistake. With Molina on the panel. People forget that since he consulted for PapaCiz, he knows Romain, Marie-France and Patrice. These 3 coach Tessa&Scott.

I think there are many other judges that V/M should be worried about (Hi Sharon Rodgers) but the French judge isn't one. I think some people wanted to find an excuse in case of level issues also (Not everyone obviously, some other were definitely worried that's understandable). Even the French judge did a pretty good job. In any case that's reassuring.
I don't really find Canadian/French judge problems with V/M & P/C (they can inflate a bit but at least they aren't underscored by the rival country). It's usually with American and Italian judges that they have issues with... :palmf:

Yes ,but those 10s were also pointless, some judges freaked out and seeing those twizzles ,though that they add 10s to increase the score.Ner the same situation as the one from Worlds. the didnt learn anything.

Roast Toast

Medalist
Tessa and Scott have always had the greatest NtMiSt, but since their comeback they really are better than great :love: Shame about the twizzle error, but better now than later in the season.

slider11

Medalist
I feel like Anna and Luca were short-changed on their SD scores. But maybe that's because the style was so unique and it was their first major showing. I found the dance to be exhilirating but too much to take in the first time. I think it has potential to be a good one. I'd like to see the ice dance race to be more than a 2 team show and would love to see them get some attention.