2017 GP Skate America Free Dance | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate America Free Dance

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
They seem nervous at first, but then they got into it in the second half! You can tell they put everything out there.

I do think that this level of personal engagement into this FD could give out the aura of nervousness/tightness at places right now, because they both want to 'tune up' the volume of emotion and expression just right to produce a complete and impactful performance with individual signature about it. The goal I feel is to transport audience/people into their sensibility, way of thinking and feeling about this music, the process of creation for that particular program - they want to perform the dance out there the best, most exquisite way they possibly can, at the same time taking people watching into some kind of journey to carry the emotion out of it alongside them directly. This balance between focusing 'in' and expressing 'out' is very hard to achieve in accessible way, especially for such personal stuff they've came with this season, BUT - for me, this is another step to that balance, the cuts definitely made more sense there, the timing was much better than in Moscow, one step at time.

And they truly are giving out more and more of themselves into competitive stuff - this 'trilogy' thing makes perfet sense for me, as it really showed/shows their journey of discovery themselves in new light, with new abandon and freedom expressed in more personal way. At this point, SD is a complete package and a weapon - everything from the tech get-go is basically ironed and polished, the level of expertise of it is extraordinary - it's an universal pleaser out there, now just make the same for FD. It won't be easy, but it's a journey, after all. I think that lifts are fabulous, spin is great, twizzles are the best in entire business, step sequences need more 'oomph' factor, reflecting more this variety of musical arrangements in my opinion; actually, the way music is put together, makes a room for more 'creativity' in expression in movement out there: there is lyrical, soft and strong and sharp parts.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I know we just saw a great performance from the Shibs and I'm American but let's slow our rolls on complaining that their scores are not on the V/M or P/C level. Say what you will about their programs this year but I don't have to focus on highlights with either team. The flow and in betweens are butter.

catchie

On the Ice
Have they ever botched a twizzle set? I feel like I've never seen it. And such great speed and arm positions on them.

Yes, they have. At 2012 Worlds FD, if I remember correctly. But that was way before they started to become confident and happy about themselves and their programs. :)

rain

Record Breaker
Ahead of S/B? I'm doubtful of that. I think it will be B/S, S/B and then S/K. But that's just a guess.

Interestingly, I had totally forgotten about S/B, lol. I do think B/S are likely secure. Just a feeling that S/K have managed to create some momentum. S/B are a younger team, though, and if they're looking to the future....B/S, I would say, are unlikely to stick around too much longer.

If they somehow manage to beat SB at Nationals and probably at Euros, too, then we'll see them at the Olys.
Although I'm not a great fan of SB and an ardent one of Sinkats, it would be wiser now to pick SB as they are way more secure. And, last but not least, their TSS is still better than SK's.

It will be very interesting to see the results of the head-to-head. S/K are, of course, more prone to big errors...

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can somebody explain the Shibs theme, cause I don't hear the lyrics clearly enough. All I hear is paradise, repeatedly and it becomes monotonous for me. I admire the Shibs technique and smoothness and really got and loved fix you but am struggling to love this as much as you all do. What am I not hearing?

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Can somebody explain the Shibs theme, cause I don't hear the lyrics clearly enough. All I hear is paradise, repeatedly and it becomes monotonous for me. I admire the Shibs technique and smoothness and really got and loved fix you but am struggling to love this as much as you all do. What am I not hearing?

I must agree. Concept of the programme somehow is not that interesting. And music is just bad. Personaly, im not a fan of their FD this season... But luckily those things dont matter when it comes to scoring.

alain06fr

On the Ice
Sooo... I don't know if this this means anything at all and take it with a grain of salt but Kurt Browning (who would know V/M quite well after all the SOI stuff they've done together over the years) doesn't think "one of the top two dance teams" will go to the GPF. I'm wondering, if this is true, if V/M are doing either some major rejigging or are, in fact, changing their FD.

Just food for thought.

Also, I did not know this but apparently Ashley Wagner said she might not go to the GPF if she qualifies.

Would you have a link to this video? Thanks!

rain

Record Breaker
Sooo... I don't know if this this means anything at all and take it with a grain of salt but Kurt Browning (who would know V/M quite well after all the SOI stuff they've done together over the years) doesn't think "one of the top two dance teams" will go to the GPF. I'm wondering, if this is true, if V/M are doing either some major rejigging or are, in fact, changing their FD.

Just food for thought.

Also, I did not know this but apparently Ashley Wagner said she might not go to the GPF if she qualifies.

V/M gain nothing by going to the GPF in my opinion. I don't think it's in their best interests to meet P/C before the Olympics. Right now, it's still all just speculation about who would come out on top head-to-head, even though P/C have scored higher in their FD and overall. Comparing scores competition to competition is notoriously unreliable. But, if V/M lose to P/C....

I don't see a wholesale change to their FD at this point, but they could do some re-jigging if they don't think they can score well enough with it. I'm sure they don't want a repeat of Sochi.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Would you have a link to this video? Thanks!

Hi Alain: https://www.facebook.com/CBCOlympics...type=2&theater

- - - Updated - - -

V/M gain nothing by going to the GPF in my opinion. I don't think it's in their best interests to meet P/C before the Olympics. Right now, it's still all just speculation about who would come out on top head-to-head, even though P/C have scored higher in their FD and overall. Comparing scores competition to competition is notoriously unreliable. But, if V/M lose to P/C....

I don't see a wholesale change to their FD at this point, but they could do some re-jigging if they don't think they can score well enough with it. I'm sure they don't want a repeat of Sochi.
I wish they'd change the ending. I don't think the denouement ending is exciting enough. It just kind of ends.

alain06fr

On the Ice
It's toward the end if you don't want to watch the whole thing. Someone said the 14 minute mark.

Yeah, true, around 14/15 minute mark... Hummm... interesting... One one hand, he talks about a prediction but on the other hand, he looks so confident about what he says.
We should get a confirmation anytime soon on one way or another but I guess V/M won't go to GPF and I hardly see them competing at 4CC either despite what they say in the same conversation (4CC being in Chinese Taipei so already in Asia hence "nearby" to South Korea).

rain

Record Breaker
Hi Alain: https://www.facebook.com/CBCOlympics...type=2&theater

- - - Updated - - -

I wish they'd change the ending. I don't think the denouement ending is exciting enough. It just kind of ends.

The ending is a bit sudden and there's so much drama throughout the rest it. I actually love this program on them, though I know others feel the music is beneath them. I find the tango particularly strong. And I think it was actually a smart choice to do something that's a contrast to P/C, who, let's face it, were never going to branch out in an Olympic year.

rain

Record Breaker
Yeah, true, around 14/15 minute mark... Hummm... interesting... One one hand, he talks about a prediction but on the other hand, he looks so confident about what he says.
We should get a confirmation anytime soon on one way or another but I guess V/M won't go to GPF and I hardly see them competing at 4CC either despite what they say in the same conversation (4CC being in Chinese Taipei so already in Asia hence "nearby" to South Korea).

I think they do 4CC if they make any substantial changes to their material, so they get it out in front of an international panel before the Olympics, at a competition that they should easily win.

icedance

On the Ice
So happy for Anna and Luca! They were tired and very nervous, but they made it! And earned a spot for GPF!:yahoo::hap10:

MDfsfan

Rinkside
GPF qualifiers:

Papadakis/Cizeron (FRA) - 30 (15 + 15, 402.41)
Virtue/Moir (CAN) - 30 (15 + 15, 398.50)
Shibutani/Shibutani (USA) - 30 (15 + 15, 383.49)
Chock/Bates (USA) - 26 (13 + 13)
Hubbell/Donohue (USA) - 24 (13 + 11, 377.78)
Cappellini/Lanotte (ITA) - 24 (13 + 11, 368.19)

Remember back in the day when the U.S.A. was almost an afterthought in ice dancing? Now look at them, with three couples in the GPF. Go U.S.A.! :cheer: