2017 GP Skate America Free Dance | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate America Free Dance

Mattieu

Medalist
But to be perfectly frank...I was completely fascinated by K's uhm performance (or is that non-performance) in the Kiss & Cry. They get a personal best FD score, and she looks immediately to him to hug him, etc and he ignores her. He then proceeds to embrace each of his coaches. She periodically keeps looking at him. He ignores her. Oh my. My my my. I found that as interesting as the program itself.

Oh my, he is such an ignorant self centred young man, she should switch to Dima next season

Purv

Match Penalty
Papadakis/Cizeron have skated to similar music/theme for the last three seasons. That's not a criticism. They've found something that works for them and run with it. This particular style and the variations they've used show off their best assets. Personally, I thought last year's FD was their best thus far — the most avant garde. I had hoped they'd go even further avant garde this season, but completely understand why they went the direction they did. However, one cannot say they've taken on a wide variety of music/styles.

Virtue/Moir, on the other hand, have done everything under the sun. To claim they haven't "branched out" is simply a falsehood. I'm not sure why anyone is still perpetuating it, since even a cursory look at their past programs puts that particular claim to rest once and for all.

I dont see similarities between Mozart and Rain in your black eyes or Build a home . The skating - thats the most important thing - and you cant confuse their choreo from those 2 programs. They re completely different

V/M maybe used different music (their career is much longer, so haters should wait another 8 years , but whatever) but still they skated the same way(two ways- faster and slower music) You cannot change it. The style.Their MR is very symilar to the Carmen and for instance their last FP is copy of their many programs to slow music before (like2013/2014 FP)

MIM

Medalist
I was gutted for Piper and Paul. They had some technical mistakes, which made difference in the ranking. But I totally buy their presentation and super buttery and solid skating with deeeeeeeeeep edges. I much prefer Piper's lacy, matte, postmodern dress to this black, glittering, not-significant one.

Vicoria and Nikita were in their best form I have ever seen from them competing together. It was admirable how Viki has improved her presentation to match to Nikita. The gap was inevidently wider in the past seasons, but they are quite a match now. But I am not a fan of their costumes. They are too pretty to put on such rags.

Anna and Luca showed how to properly use the sound effect (i.e. train sound) and act with the right volume in a coherent and sophisticated way (i.e. not OTT). They are so masterful technically and theatrically, each feature complemented each other. I love this seniority and craftsmanship they have polished until the seemingly last season of their respectfully long career.

Shibs were casting a spell on the ice. I certainly see they have risen their artistry since Sochi Olympic with the right vehicle. Their skating is significant and pure. But at the same time I can see with their mastery, they can skate to any music they are inspired to (i.e. see their composure and mastery in the SD!!!). It does not have to be coldplay anymore to be effective. I hear the music was artificially engineered to be fast or loud in the second half to build. I understand some artificial touch is inevitable, but to amp up the music in order to match their energy also means they have outgrown the music. They probably had scheduled to have a trilogy for a long time, but their growth over-paced the plan. I am sorry they passed the mark too soon and missed the real chance to become something bigger and greater than they have been in the olympic season. It could have been epic! I listen to TSL review and had to agree with Jonathan saying about them " you cannot chase the feeling. you have to create the feeling. "

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
Yeah, true, around 14/15 minute mark... Hummm... interesting... One one hand, he talks about a prediction but on the other hand, he looks so confident about what he says.
We should get a confirmation anytime soon on one way or another but I guess V/M won't go to GPF and I hardly see them competing at 4CC either despite what they say in the same conversation (4CC being in Chinese Taipei so already in Asia hence "nearby" to South Korea).
It all sounds to me as if he either really knows something and is trying to find a way to spill some beans, or he is simply a big drama queen and ego-tripper and wants to make himself interesting. I get the feeling that it's both at the same time though. His prediction sounds like a ka-boom joke, but he got back to it later on in a much more serious way. Strange.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Shibs were casting a spell on the ice. I certainly see they have risen their artistry since Sochi Olympic with the right vehicle. Their skating is significant and pure. But at the same time I can see with their mastery, they can skate to any music they are inspired to (i.e. see their composure and mastery in the SD!!!). It does not have to be coldplay anymore to be effective. I hear the music was artificially engineered to be fast or loud in the second half to build. I understand some artificial touch is inevitable, but to amp up the music in order to match their energy also means they have outgrown the music. They probably had scheduled to have a trilogy for a long time, but their growth over-paced the plan. I am sorry they passed the mark too soon and missed the real chance to become something bigger and greater than they have been in the olympic season. It could have been epic! I listen to TSL review and had to agree with Jonathan saying about them " you cannot chase the feeling. you have to create the feeling. "

I think they're looking at something much more larger/universal then their personal artistic development. I think it's kind of hard to conceptualize right now cause we're kind of looking it at the context of having watching all three programs pretty extensively. This sounds super bad, but you and I aren't who they're aiming for, i.e. the hard core fans. In a sense the SD, as you pointed out, is probably meant more for us than the FD.

They are huge supporters of the Olympic movement, as shown by the involvement in the LA 2028 Olympics. They also know there's a captive audience for figure skating outside of they day in-day out fans. That's who they're reaching out to. I think right now it's hard to see in our computer screens and in kind of a low-key GP. But add in the Olympic experience, and just that big audience, and this FD is going to be powerful. I just know it. And just look at the reaction of the SkAm audience, who is a knowledgeable audience (though there's probably more casual viewers there too). I have a feeling this is something that has power when you see it in person.

And personally, I think they're inspired by Coldplay and their messages, which is why they went back to Coldplay, as opposed to something else. I'm hoping they'll continue for at least another season, cause I do agree there's probably more artistic development/performance ahead. But I think this is how they wanted to close this phase of their artistic development.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I think they're looking at something much more larger/universal then their personal artistic development. I think it's kind of hard to conceptualize right now cause we're kind of looking it at the context of having watching all three programs pretty extensively. This sounds super bad, but you and I aren't who they're aiming for, i.e. the hard core fans. In a sense the SD, as you pointed out, is probably meant more for us than the FD.

They are huge supporters of the Olympic movement, as shown by the involvement in the LA 2028 Olympics. They also know there's a captive audience for figure skating outside of they day in-day out fans. That's who they're reaching out to. I think right now it's hard to see in our computer screens and in kind of a low-key GP. But add in the Olympic experience, and just that big audience, and this FD is going to be powerful. I just know it. And just look at the reaction of the SkAm audience, who is a knowledgeable audience (though there's probably more casual viewers there too). I have a feeling this is something that has power when you see it in person.

And personally, I think they're inspired by Coldplay and their messages, which is why they went back to Coldplay, as opposed to something else. I'm hoping they'll continue for at least another season, cause I do agree there's probably more artistic development/performance ahead. But I think this is how they wanted to close this phase of their artistic development.

I think that they've grown to realization that they want to convey this 'message', 'mission' thing/experience into their competitive skating, like they are promoting various ideas, good causes in off-ice activity. They clearly proved that they want to be more personally involved, engaged into their skating, performance quality aside of just executing stuff - and they seem to have found a right platform/channel and voice to speak through. It's good to see them following their personal conviction, beliefs, desires, aims through those programs, making into one journey of self-discovery and evolution as skaters, performers and people in general - because after all, the change they've made into their skating career, direction followed in it, changed them also personally; I see a lot more 'ownership' in every action they pursue, a lot more of confidence, energy and inspiration out there, which they share with their fans and all people drawn to their openness, youthful enthusiasm. For me, they've grown and matured to be the best brand for themselves - on- or off-ice, because they are promoting same ideas there and are challenging themselves equally in both areas.

And to Your last paragraph - I think that being inspired by Coldplay, this 'everyday philosophy' conveyed often by their songs, brought a new energy and individuality in Maia and Alex; it's quite refreshing to see that they are so decisive, bold and uncompromised to use a material that inspires them, moves them as an actual part of their competitive skating. Those 3 last seasons (current one included) managed to show Maia and Alex for me in a different light - it's fantastic feeling to be taken on this journey along with them, because between songs, Coldplay, thoughtfulness put into their work, you can really experience this searching, evolving process with them. It was a brave move and risky choice to steer their path that way, but it opened eyes of many and allow them to get to those people deeper than just visuals, even the most beautiful ones. People connected not only with their skating, but with them I feel, which is a huge victory by itself in my book.

JustMe

On the Ice
Like many others, I become a fan of the Shibs after their Fix You program, and believe or not, I enjoyed last year's program even more, but I wasn't feeling this new program, until yesterday! My pet-peeves about this team are (1) Maia's upper back--it always looks too stiff, almost like she's constantly arching/leaning back from her sternum (but it was less so yesterday, and I think if she's able to relax that 100%, their program and their style will look more effective, and (2) Alex's immediate celebratory fist pumps and such...I know many skaters do it, but I find it oh so tacky in Ice Dance (if were their coach I would demand they hold their ending pose, then bow, and then you do whatever you want--except kiss the ice, lol).

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you all for sharing on the Shibs free dance theme

alain06fr

On the Ice
Papadakis/Cizeron have skated to similar music/theme for the last three seasons. That's not a criticism. They've found something that works for them and run with it. This particular style and the variations they've used show off their best assets. Personally, I thought last year's FD was their best thus far — the most avant garde. I had hoped they'd go even further avant garde this season, but completely understand why they went the direction they did. However, one cannot say they've taken on a wide variety of music/styles.

Virtue/Moir, on the other hand, have done everything under the sun. To claim they haven't "branched out" is simply a falsehood. I'm not sure why anyone is still perpetuating it, since even a cursory look at their past programs puts that particular claim to rest once and for all.

I would describe it differently.

Music themes were very different imHo. Stillness Oddudua (2017) is so much different compared to Mozart Comcerto24. Same for "Rain in your black eyes".

Now, the point is that Gabriella and Guillaume have a unique signature as an ice dance couple.

First, they learned skating together with the same coach.

Their connection on the ice, their technical skills (they both skate with their knees continually bent. Both with effortlessly attuned blades), the fluidity and softness of their body moves (including both head and upper body movements) and their ability to share emotions and feelings with the audience are definitely typical of P/C.
So they have their own and unique style and one can easily see other teams got inspired by them. This is where one can see some similarity across the past 4 years.

rain

Record Breaker
I dont see similarities between Mozart and Rain in your black eyes or Build a home . The skating - thats the most important thing - and you cant confuse their choreo from those 2 programs. They re completely different

V/M maybe used different music (their career is much longer, so haters should wait another 8 years , but whatever) but still they skated the same way(two ways- faster and slower music) You cannot change it. The style.Their MR is very symilar to the Carmen and for instance their last FP is copy of their many programs to slow music before (like2013/2014 FP)

Agree to disagree on P/C — and yes, I think they still have a lot of years to experiment which is why I don't get bent about what they've done so far in their senior careers.

But you can't be serious about V/M. They've skated to everything from Pink Floyd to Hip Hip Chin Chin, to Valse Triste, to Umbrellas of Cherbourg to Carmen to Funny Face to Mahler. There's really no way a claim that they haven't changed it up and always skate the same stands up to even the smallest amount of scrutiny.

Bcash

Final Flight
The always upright Shibs.

I feel that that one lift from G/P alone is more original than the entire program of the Shibs.

viennaskater

Medalist
I was gutted for Piper and Paul. They had some technical mistakes, which made difference in the ranking. But I totally buy their presentation and super buttery and solid skating with deeeeeeeeeep edges. I much prefer Piper's lacy, matte, postmodern dress to this black, glittering, not-significant one.

I was also gutted. The first time I saw that free dance, it lulled me into a laid-back mood and I loved every bit of it. Some people find it 'boring' but like you, I appreciate it for the same reasons you give above. There is plenty of technical difficulty there but they make it look easy and create a wonderful mood with the piece.

They are so good at being different, while still possessing enormous skill, and I get annoyed that they are not given enough credit for it. I feel that all the Russian teams in dance are over-scored when most of the time they are giving us nothing new, stuck in an old-fashioned rut and doing lifts which look ungainly.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

This is one of the most hilariously wrongheaded comments I've ever read on here. Thank you for the belly laugh.

Purv

Match Penalty
Agree to disagree on P/C — and yes, I think they still have a lot of years to experiment which is why I don't get bent about what they've done so far in their senior careers.

But you can't be serious about V/M. They've skated to everything from Pink Floyd to Hip Hip Chin Chin, to Valse Triste, to Umbrellas of Cherbourg to Carmen to Funny Face to Mahler. There's really no way a claim that they haven't changed it up and always skate the same stands up to even the smallest amount of scrutiny.

This is one of the most hilariously wrongheaded comments I've ever read on here. Thank you for the belly laugh.

If you both dont see similarities ( music, style, mood) between their programs 2009/2010 (Mahler) , their last olympic one 2013/2014 and the from last year I dont know what to say. Even Umbrellas of Cherbourg look very similar to their Mahler. Music is more lively and sweet but still they skate in the same style, right? Funny face has some similarities with Umbrellas of Cherbourg also.Many I would say...Its a mix their UofCg with Mahler You just talking about the music. You think changing the music is eveything and it makes skaters better versatile. But it is little superficial.. But canadian skating is not so versatile for me as you fans say. They re fantastic skaters ,technical and all. No doubt about that.But I do so many similarities in their programs and I don mind .Because it is impossible to skate differently every year.. But if you re so bothered by taking Mozart and Build a home and claiming that they re the same because they re SLOW. and not seeing that MAhler ,Glazunov, Hugo and Disclosure or Valse Triste are also slow with similar theme..well

P/C could one day take music from some musical like funny face and you would say that they re doing the same- their style is so characteristic

rain

Record Breaker
If you both dont see similarities ( music, style, mood) between their programs 2009/2010 (Mahler) , their last olympic one 2013/2014 and the from last year I dont know what to say. Even Umbrellas of Cherbourg look very similar to their Mahler. Music is more lively and sweet but still they skate in the same style, right? Funny face has some similarities with Umbrellas of Cherbourg also.Many I would say...Its a mix their UofCg with Mahler You just talking about the music. You think changing the music is eveything and it makes skaters better versatile. But it is little superficial.. But canadian skating is not so versatile for me as you fans say. They re fantastic skaters ,technical and all. No doubt about that.But I do so many similarities in their programs and I don mind .Because it is impossible to skate differently every year.. But if you re so bothered by taking Mozart and Build a home and claiming that they re the same because they re SLOW. and not seeing that MAhler ,Glazunov, Hugo and Disclosure or Valse Triste are also slow with similar theme..well

P/C could one day take music from some musical like funny face and you would say that they re doing the same- their style is so characteristic

Yes, there are some similarities between some of their programs. That's pretty much inevitable when you've been in the business as long as they have. And as I said right back at the beginning, there's nothing especially wrong with that in my opinion. But we're talking about objective fact here, and your assertion that Virtue and Moir always skate the same, with no variation. That's objectively false. You mention a few of their programs, but I notice you leave out all of the ones that don't fit your narrative. Hip Hip Chin Chin? No? Pink Floyd? Birdies chirping? Carmen? It's simply a false narrative. You don't have to like what they do. You don't have to have liked any of their programs. But you cannot claim they have never branched out in style.

And yes, changing the music when we're talking dance does inherently change style, unless a team is really, really bad. Music and style go hand in hand. Different music require different movement if the dance is to succeed. Hence the purpose of the short dance and before it the original dance and the compulsory dances.

If P/C one day decided to skate to West Side Story, yes, yes I would say they were branching out stylistically further than they have to date. If they don't and simply continue to develop their current style to its apex, that's OK too.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Not getting into any details of whether P/C are versatile enough or not. V/M skated in the compulsory, original dance era. We've seen them do everything! That's why I didn't even get mad at their short dance because at this point I would want to dance a different kind of latin program as well. It makes little sense to compare a team with such a large body of work to P/C. If I were a P/C fan this is not the argument I would be having. :slink:

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Finally watched the FD...what a wonderful competition it was! Enjoyed all the teams, and the top five had me mesmerized. So happy that Kaitlin and Jean Luc were able to skate their gorgeous FD beautifully after their disappointing placement in the SD. Piper and Paul had me glued to their performance once again with their drama and uniqueness. Anna and Luca's FD is a perfection of their style and my favorite over all of their prior programs (and I loved their Chaplin program last season), and I'm thrilled they made the GPF. Victoria and Nikita were a big surprise for me. That is the absolute best I've ever seen them skate, and their performance really swept me up emotionally, which has never happened with them before. Rachmaninoff is a perfect vehicle for them, and their program kind of brought me back to the Russian ice dance era of the early to mid 90's. After the power of Rachmaninoff, I thought Paradise might pale in contrast. I admit that I'm not a fan of the music in Paradise, because for me it has one-note musical phrasing and lacks emotional depth. However, the Shibs did wonders with their FD arrangement to it and by the end made me forget all about Rachmaninoff! Their increased speed and power are noticeable, and best of all for me is that they seemed to skate with so much more freedom than I've ever seen them do before in a FD. I made my family watch the Shibs (hubby and son are good for maybe one performance per competition so I have to choose wisely :laugh:), and my son, who's Maia's age and knows nothing about ID, remarked that they looked like they were having so much fun performing their FD for the audience. I think that kind of speaks volumes.

cell

On the Ice
S/K's Rach program is too melodramatic and tired. Overemoting to Rachmaninoff makes them look tacky, Seriously, I feel like you shouldn't skate to something like Rach unless you can do it with subtlety like P/C do with Moonlight Sonata. And terrible costumes. That said, their spins and twizzles and speed were on point and great.

I don't understand why H/B are scored so low. Absolutely beautiful program. Why is Kaitlin maligned as being too weak for Jean-Luc? Am I missing something.

Shibutanis bore me as usual. There is nothing interesting about watching them to me. The program is so bland, and the music is completely generic. I do appreciate their technical skills, but...yeah. It's hard for me to accept that they get such high scores for things like performance, interpretation...

Love Luca and Anna. Their storytelling skills are superb.

Piper and Paul's program is interesting and a grower; the cantilevers into lift is a great moment in the program as well as the lift in the 3rd time of the program. They do something unique for sure, although I can see how it is boring to some, but it's not the same old thing!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Can't get that link to work, says page not found. Is part of the address missing, perhaps?

you can find it on PJ Kwong's facebook page. It wouldn't give me a link, sorry. It's the video blog she does with David Pellietier and Kurt Browning.