2017 GP Skate America Mens FS | Page 56 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate America Mens FS

notunprepared

On the Ice
TMW fans come into the thread after the fact to see how the men's event went.

I'm happy for the medalists, but watching this live was harrowing.

All true. The technology issues with the scoring for, was it Han? Didn't help with everyone's stress levels either. The whole thing was a total dumpster fire. So many injured, or rattled by the injuries, or skating on past injuries.

I'm glad I set my alarm to wake up early to watch it live though. Would be confusing to try and piece together what happened afterwards from the youtube videos and the thread. I never have enough self discipline to go through them without spoiling myself.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Why were they fighting with each other? So emotional. It is only a sport.
Sports that play against opponents usually are. There's the sports betting too- $$$$. Audiences have more invested in the tournament than just watching their fav team / player .

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
I have decided that since the Grand Prix events for the men have been disastrous for the most part, they're going to kill it at the Olympics. Please help me will this into reality.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That's ok! To be honest, the whole Daniel situation was a bit of a jolt, my defences were down... What happened to Steve Moore in the end? It looked like the kind of injury that could have really horrible consequences, but I couldn't face any more Googling... (sorry for :eek:topic:)

Sadly, his playing career was cut short, he was finished for good immediately after this incident. It was only his rookie season, too. There were several lawsuits filed over the incident, and I believe there was an out of court settlement reached for Moore from Bertuzzi, for several million dollars. There is not too much online info available that discusses how Steve Moore is doing today. Here’s the most recent article I could find that goes into detail about his life after the incident:

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/2268057-steve-moore-s-life-after-bertuzzi-a-secret-until-now/

Also, here’s a good article that details the incident, the subsequent legal proceedings, and its aftermath:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/milehig...orado-avalanche-stevie-moore-a-look-back/amp/

As an aside, Steve Moore’s younger brother, Dominic, has had a successful NHL career. He’s currently playing for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Why were they fighting with each other? So emotional. It is only a sport.

Because participating in a professional hockey game is the one of the only scenarios you can be in that allows you to assault and kick the crap out of other players to the point of causing permanent, life changing injuries, and not be held criminally responsible for those actions. :rolleye:

Here’s an opinion piece that sums up the ridiculous mentality that goes along with fighting in professional hockey:

https://www.straight.com/blogra/310796/steve-moore-didnt-deserve-dime-todd-bertuzzi-hit

I rolled my eyes so hard, I think I saw my brain. :rolleye:

Thankfully, as a result of the NHL canceling the entire 2004-05 season due to the players union’s contract disputes, this mentality is not as prevalent today. Emphasis is placed on players who have speed, excellent skating skills, and raw talent, as opposed to fighting. Don’t get me wrong, fighting still exists, but it’s very minuscule in comparison to what it once was.

Sorry to all for the massive :eek:topic:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Is Adam's dislocated as well or just a sprain?

no idea... kurt said on cbc it looked dislocated right during the program.... and david pelletier said ;here's a bird with one less wing" it thought it was funny. Of course, they were trying to lighten up the mood after Daniel's crash

i hope adam is fine...

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
But can we just talk about how adorable Sergei was all worked up after his skate and then Inna Goncharenko just trying to calm his excitement down like "spokoyno, spokoyno" :laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
But can we just talk about how adorable Sergei was all worked up after his skate and then Inna Goncharenko just trying to calm his excitement down like "spokoyno, spokoyno" :laugh:

Haha, the victory fist pumping was definitely adorable. Like he was looking all tough, but you can tell he was just THRILLED.

Mussique

On the Ice
no idea... kurt said on cbc it looked dislocated right during the program.... and david pelletier said ;here's a bird with one less wing" it thought it was funny. Of course, they were trying to lighten up the mood after Daniel's crash

i hope adam is fine...

Adam dislocated his shoulder, popped it back in (in that precise moment) and continued being awesome.

Source (x)

icybear

Medalist
Oh, and Boyang Jin's PCS continue to be a mockery of the sport. He can barely skate, and today was far from his best, at that.
Are you saying that Boyang 79 PCs is too high for you. What did you expect, 70 PCs? If you want to attack Pcs of this sport, bash Nathan Chen instead 88pcs for a complete mess program. Or is that pcs not a "mockery of the sport" to you

Eclair

Medalist
Are you saying that Boyang 79 PCs is too high for you. What did you expect, 70 PCs? If you want to attack Pcs of this sport, bash Nathan Chen instead 88pcs for a complete mess program. Or is that pcs not a "mockery of the sport" to you
I bet that poster didn't even watch the competition and just wanted to bash Boyang. If he had watched the comp, there is no way he would complain about Boyang's PCS, when far more ridiculous PCS were given out ..

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Nathan, Adam and Sergei! I have not had a chance to watch their programs yet so I cannot comment.
I am very happy that Adam and Sergei will be going to the GPF, there was never a question in my mind about
Nathan making the final. So Boyang coming in 4th gets him into the final right?

Off to watch the videos.

MDfsfan

Rinkside
Can anyone provide links to CBC and or Eurosport videos of the men's free skate? All I can find on YouTube is NBC/OC videos or no commentary. I really love Eurosport's commentators. Thank you. :thumbsup: