2017 GP Skate America Pairs FS | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate America Pairs FS

snd

On the Ice
sk/k have fantastic lp costumes. everyone should skate in something similar.

and yu/zhang had a great skate. maybe their best.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
For the record, Sui and Aliona are both my pair queens. Both Cong and Bruno present them beautifully! Can we just appreciate it's going to be a good competition for Gold?

#SoOverUberFights

yqs100

On the Ice
Sui missed both SBS jump yesterday. I think her jumps will be the decider at the Olympics.

We can argue a lot about the PCS. Sui/Han have a brilliant connection.true. But I could not see any program this season which could match the concept and the choreography created by the Germans today.

Really? Judges don’t think so. Haha

Have seen a lot “negative” comments about Chinese Pairs. Hope it’s really based on the personal taste rather than personal bias.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I think you can make the argument that S/M are being more original and avant garde with their music choices and choreography than S/H. Turnandot is a war horse and the program itself is a ode to S/Z so I'm not sure you can say that S/H are exactly pushing the envelope artistically. I would probably say that, if skated cleanly, S/M's LP is better. However, I find S/H to be the better pair and I enjoy their performance and presentation more.

See.. stuff to like about both of them. I'm rooting for S/H to win the OGM but if it's S/M I'm okay with that as long as they earn it. May the best team win.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I think you can make the argument that S/M are being more original and avant garde with their music choices and choreography than S/H. Turnandot is a war horse and the program itself is a ode to S/Z so I'm not sure you can say that S/H are exactly pushing the envelope artistically. I would probably say that, if skated cleanly, S/M's LP is better. However, I find S/H to be the better pair and I enjoy their performance and presentation more.

See.. stuff to like about both of them. I'm rooting for S/H to win the OGM but if it's S/M I'm okay with that as long as they earn it. May the best team win.

Yes, and there's no need to set up a non-existent judging controversy ahead of time. I see no team being pushed by the judges other than T/M . . . sorry couldn't help it :biggrin:

yqs100

On the Ice
Savchenko rules! Loved that LP. I don't get all the love for Zhang's throws as I have always found the Chinese men's kicking up a leg as they throw, quite ugly and distracting. So they can throw their partner the length of a sofa (as Peter Carruthers used to say). The other men don't do that. Zhang is one tough, strong male skater. Surely he could throw Yu w/o kicking up his leg. Judges/technicians are so picky about everything else so why has this leg kick been allowed? Knierem/Knierem are beautiful skaters but something's wrong with this pair.
The ugly part is the French-German don’t really perform! I don’t see he connects to the music in both their programs.

I would credit 90% of the PCS to aliona.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Yes, and there's no need to set up a non-existent judging controversy ahead of time. I see no team being pushed by the judges other than T/M . . . sorry couldn't help it :biggrin:

*passes you a vodka double wine*

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I, too, am a huge fan of both S/H and S/M. They both put out innovative and charismatic programs that IMO, are leagues above many other pairs at this time. They are definitely top contenders for Olympic gold and each have their own strengths. I think S/M are more experimental and creative with their programs, but S/H have more dynamic and unified skating as a whole. Worlds 2017 was such a close match up and I'm anticipating the GPF where they'll meet for the first time this season!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
The ugly part is the French-German don’t really perform! I don’t see he connects to the music in both their programs.

I would credit 90% of the PCS to aliona.

um.. the French-German is Bruno and Aliona is the Ukrainian-German? :confused:

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker

A lot of people probably agree with you, but I like his performances and I think they keep getting better. I think they are just understated. Yesterday and today, however, he was really showing a lot of emotion I thought.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
A lot of people probably agree with you, but I like his performances and I think they keep getting better. I think they are just understated. Yesterday and today, however, he was really showing a lot of emotion I thought.

Bruno makes me miss Robin so much. Robin was elegant. I still find Bruno clunky. Very powerful, very good at presenting her but still.. heavy on his feet.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Have seen a lot “negative” comments about Chinese Pairs. Hope it’s really based on the personal taste rather than personal bias.

I loved S/H's FS last year. I thought it was sensational. This year I prefer P/J and Y/Z's programs though. I haven't connected with the TURANDOT.

S/M's FS last year was easily the best for me. This year I like J/C's the best.

moriel

Record Breaker
Bruno makes me miss Robin so much. Robin was elegant. I still find Bruno clunky. Very powerful, very good at presenting her but still.. heavy on his feet.

I think that what bruno basically does is presenting Alyona on ice.
Hopefully they will work it out, but for now, its just not there

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I think that what bruno basically does is presenting Alyona on ice.
Hopefully they will work it out, but for now, its just not there

I think this is why Sui/Han feel more like a pair working together than S/M do to me.

bobbob

Medalist
Great Job Aliona/Bruno!!! Love the program, and PCS well deserved with high GOEs. Glad that the judges are also coming around to Yu/Zhang, they skated really cleanly today. Duhamel/Radford were quite sloppy today with the program not helping artistically. Most of the elements were fine, but I think they need a new free skate fast--currently, I think they performed this free skate better in the 14-15 season...

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
I wasn't a die-hard skating fan when they were performing together, so I don't remember them too well. But from what I remember I had the feeling that S²'s programs were a bit cheesy. [emoji15]

I'm so impressed with the nuance and elegance of what she's doing with Massot.

iamchrislao

On the Ice
I just can't with the turandot FS of SH. I just....urgh I seriously want to give their team a dressing down. What on earth were you guys thinking? SH is an edgy pair and you give them this??? it is 2017 y'all! overused and a cliche program. So disappointed. The program bores me. It isn't as nuanced as some people say it is. There is no element of surprise---no wow moment in there anywhere. I just find myself waiting for the throws coz that is their strength. And that says a lot. Sure, their skating is polished, reliable and that's all they have going for them with this program. Compared to SM's free program, however, the turandot is a let down, snoozefest. If these two pairs go clean at the games, I will remember SM's performance, not SH's. It is what it is.

I think this is why Sui/Han feel more like a pair working together than S/M do to me.