2017 GP Skate America Short Dance | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate America Short Dance

Purv

Match Penalty
I agree with this. V/M are doing things on another level in terms of maturity and characterization. I think latin is the genre where the lack of power from the Shibs is not as evident and P/C's lack of quick turns show up. Different story in the FD of course.

Too much characterization I suppose. Their program is way too forced in both movements and facial expressions especially by Tessa. Those famous sharp moves and "over the top" behaviour is maturity?

GGFan

Record Breaker
Too much characterization I suppose. Their program is way too forced in both movements and facial expressions especially by Tessa. Those famous sharp moves and "over the top" behaviour is maturity?

I hate defending V/M because I hate sounding like I'm a ride or die fan. I'm not and it wasn't until the comeback that I could even stand Scott. I legitimately just appreciate what they do on the ice. I will concede some things about the V/M SD: 1) it is not the masterpiece that last year's was, 2) it is not traditional latin, 3) it is not necessarily cohesive, and 4) Scott does not have the best latin hips.

With that said I just rewatched it and there's nothing about that characterization that feels forced. The swag of the first part totally works with Mick Jagger's showy/sexy/cheeky style. Scott even pulls of a Mick Jagger moment that totally works because he has the confidence to pull it off. The pattern is a dream and they smolder throughout. The Santana part is filled with cheeky gestures that compliment the cool style of the music.

Every time I see them they look like grown folks on the ice and legends of the sport.

Purv

Match Penalty
I hate defending V/M because I hate sounding like I'm a ride or die fan. I'm not and it wasn't until the comeback that I could even stand Scott. I legitimately just appreciate what they do on the ice. I will concede some things about the V/M SD: 1) it is not the masterpiece that last year's was, 2) it is not traditional latin, 3) it is not necessarily cohesive, and 4) Scott does not have the best latin hips.

With that said I just rewatched it and there's nothing about that characterization that feels forced. The swag of the first part totally works with Mick Jagger's showy/sexy/cheeky style. Scott even pulls of a Mick Jagger moment that totally works because he has the confidence to pull it off. The pattern is a dream and they shoulder throughout. The Santana part is filled with cheeky gestures that compliment the cool style of the music.

Every time I see them they look like grown folks on the ice and legends of the sport.

For you is cheeky,for me is silly.. Scots movements are too much for me. He tries so hard, i know it ,but still. Especialy in the first StepSeq.
Oh and I know they re grown folks. In Prince's short , Tessa sticked her butts out for Scott to touch it. It is too much for my:laugh: taste.(Anyway, Prince was better overall.)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Did someone figure out the level 1 twizzles for H/B ?

EDIT : could it be that the free leg on the 1st set wasn't high enough ?

Sinad Kerr said that was the likely issue, that basically a caller could deem it a three-turn rather than a twizzle or something like that.

snd

On the Ice
Just got up and looked at the result! Oh no, it's not what I wanted! :sad21: What happened to Piper & Paul? Must watch the video now!

twizzles. the first set was botched and the third very iffy, too.

the shibutanis were so amazing, though. i honestly think they are better than v/m and p/c and yes i've seen them all live at the same time.

edit: shibs have the best sd of 2017-18. they also had the best sd of 2015-16.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Okay, fun fact, when me and my parents were taking our luggage down to the car, Maia Shibutani was in the elevator with us going down to go to the rink for the SD.

LadyB

Record Breaker
twizzles. the first set was botched and the third very iffy, too.

the shibutanis were so amazing, though. i honestly think they are better than v/m and p/c and yes i've seen them all live at the same time.

edit: shibs have the best sd of 2017-18. they also had the best sd of 2015-16.

Thanks for that snd, much appreciated.
Yeah, I watched it. What a shame. I love them. Fair play to the Shibs, Olympics will be very interesting indeed.

snd

On the Ice
i'm very fond of g/p and the first person to admit they have been undrscored in the past (great, clean performances with ridiculously low pcs) but this time they can only blame themselves, i'm afraid. still entertaining to watch, though.

viennaskater

Medalist
I reallllly don't like that dress.

Victoria's trying to be Tanith Belbin, circa 2006. :handw:

I am surprised there was no deduction for that disaster of a dress - too much exposed flesh and from the back it just looks like underwear (bra) exposure. Awful and very cheap-looking.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Absolutely. The Shibs obviously have a style that isn’t for everyone, but it’s clear they schooled the rest of the competition in the SD here and skated with an air of confidence and swagger of champions that many who want to dethrone them don’t have. There’s also a lot more to skating skills than copying P/C long sweeping edges like other teams are doing and it’s clear the Shibs are mastering the blade in other ways. They also have started to differentiate themselves from the other bronze medal pack here. It may not last, but this was a clear statement they made.

While other people and their fans will continue to obsess about Nationals and dethroning them, which may happen, it’s clear the Shibs have much bigger things on their mind and they are showing it where it actually counts, not with big declarations or statements and wishes, but with their actual skating and ability to perform under competitive pressure.

This is a fair statement. I much prefer H/D, and I do hope they win USNats, but I have to hat-tip the Shibs. They've obviously been working their butts off.

dcnative

On the Ice
I was watching Guignard and Fabri's performances from this weekend and got irrationally (admittedly) upset when I heard their ages at C/L and the Italian Federation/military. They are superior to C/L IMO in terms of technical ability so why won't C/L step aside and give them their chance? They are already above 25 so by the time the next Olympics comes around they will be in their 30's and "old" by todays standards. C/L are fabulous performers but their technical ability has not advanced; personally I think they get over rewarded for the performance marks having such low (relatively) technical abiliity.

MelDee

Final Flight
I was watching Guignard and Fabri's performances from this weekend and got irrationally (admittedly) upset when I heard their ages at C/L and the Italian Federation/military. They are superior to C/L IMO in terms of technical ability so why won't C/L step aside and give them their chance? They are already above 25 so by the time the next Olympics comes around they will be in their 30's and "old" by todays standards. C/L are fabulous performers but their technical ability has not advanced; personally I think they get over rewarded for the performance marks having such low (relatively) technical abiliity.

This is a sport. Nobody does favours to others, they have to earn it. I'm more upset about G/F's underscoring.

icedance

On the Ice
C/L also had to wait. Faiella/Scali were the Italian number 1s when they were young and promising.

matcha

Medalist
This whole idea of "waiting" is so frustrating. Rise up and snatch those wigs. (Easy to say, I know :p; harder to do).

dcnative

On the Ice
This is a sport. Nobody does favours to others, they have to earn it. I'm more upset about G/F's underscoring.

C/L also had to wait. Faiella/Scali were the Italian number 1s when they were young and promising.

This whole idea of "waiting" is so frustrating. Rise up and snatch those wigs. (Easy to say, I know :p; harder to do).

I agree with all of this; I acknowledged that my anger was irrational. I had an outburst because I saw G/F and C/L's programs back to back and the "injustice" was too obvious.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Maybe they are inferior to the teams at other GP's.

No, Skate America picked their teams straight out of the top 24 SB and WS lists. Other events were deeper among the top three, but the middle & lower ranks of this field were very solid & very closely ranked. The U.S. was the only country on the GP to have all three host invites within the top 24. No other GP event this season had an entire field selected straight out of the top 24 lists. The only weakness at SA was Tobias & Tkachenko's withdrawing.

Host countries that skipped top-24 teams for lower-ranked teams within their invitations:
-Russia
-Canada
-China

Yes, several of the teams at SA made mistakes in the SD. I definitely agree. Most of the same teams scored higher in Russia/Canada/China/NHK though, with similar mistakes. (The SDs at Rostelecom were quite sloppy, with a slew of missed twizzles. H&B missed the twizzles at SC as well).

I do think this one was a tough tech panel. Same caller as at Worlds, where the top 9 teams walked away unhappy and most of the field as well. Because scores were tight and teams--anticipating improvement at the end of a season of making improvements--didn't see it reflected in the scores there.

But there is no point in comparing scores from different events. You are not going to have the same tech & judging panel score every event. Scores are used to break GP ties and place teams in the top 24 list for assigning next season's GP events so I can understand people wishing for the impossible. However, at the end of the day, these teams want to show their best at the Olympics and Worlds. Sometimes the tougher the feedback you get early in the season, the tougher teams are at the end. Plenty of teams complain about being blindsided with harsh calls late in the season if those teams haven't received them early. These teams from SA are not likely to do so.