2017 GP Skate America Short Dance | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate America Short Dance

caitie

Medalist
So sad for G/P. They got hammered on the tech. Thought the performance was great. It's really not shaping up to be their year. I'll be interested to see if they've made any changes to the FD.

I want them to go back to Hitchcock.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Well, Jackie Wong said their pattern was the biggest of the night, and they looked faster than usual and got great levels with a tough caller.

I personally think some of their elements are clearly superior. Their twizzles are the class of the field. Their dance spin is better than VM’s. I think they are a clear favorite for bronze at this point and would deserve to capitalize on any errors by PC or VM. I don’t think either team is a fall or botched element better than the Shibs whereas VM and DW were that much better in 2014.

Absolutely. The Shibs obviously have a style that isn’t for everyone, but it’s clear they schooled the rest of the competition in the SD here and skated with an air of confidence and swagger of champions that many who want to dethrone them don’t have. There’s also a lot more to skating skills than copying P/C long sweeping edges like other teams are doing and it’s clear the Shibs are mastering the blade in other ways. They also have started to differentiate themselves from the other bronze medal pack here. It may not last, but this was a clear statement they made.

While other people and their fans will continue to obsess about Nationals and dethroning them, which may happen, it’s clear the Shibs have much bigger things on their mind and they are showing it where it actually counts, not with big declarations or statements and wishes, but with their actual skating and ability to perform under competitive pressure.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
The Shibs were really smart to go with the fun/sensual part of latin here. Their ability to turn quickly is perfectly suited to Latin and sets them apart from even the top teams. The countdown first twizzle one of the best short dance moments of the year (and there aren't many)

What a difference skating ON THE BEAT makes, huh?

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
If the Japanese finish 1-2 after the free, and Medvedeva can't compete, then the winner will go to the Grand Prix final.

caitie

Medalist
It was so weird to see Ben watch C/L’s rumba pattern and be like yeah it’s clean they didn’t leave the tech panel with any questions... and then see a level 1 on the score sheet. 🤔

Nika09

On the Ice
Shibs SD is simply amazing! with the music cuts, choreo, costumes and everything else.

icedance

On the Ice
It was so weird to see Ben watch C/L’s rumba pattern and be like yeah it’s clean they didn’t leave the tech panel with any questions... and then see a level 1 on the score sheet. 🤔

They were robbed...Judges maybe don’t want to see them at GPF! But they have to be there! They deserve more than B/S who were just lucky this season...

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
And really unattractive costume for Alex.

That's putting it mildly... What on earth were they thinking? From a distance, it looks like he's bare-chested with bling over his body... :hopelessness::palmf:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
I'll never understand the tech side but wow Shibs wrere amazing!:coffee::bow:

Wow SK in the top 3!
I'd even biasedly put them even in 2nd:cool:
Hopefully they won't do anything stupid in the free:laugh:
Vika is 1 breathtakingly beauty:love:

CL much better than in Japan

Basically I want this top 3.to remain:biggrin::slink:

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
It was so weird to see Ben watch C/L’s rumba pattern and be like yeah it’s clean they didn’t leave the tech panel with any questions... and then see a level 1 on the score sheet. 樂
Maybe he meant it was a clean level 1 that left no questions about it unanswered?

icedance

On the Ice
Maybe he meant it was a clean level 1 that left no questions about it unanswered?

I still think that it was clear level 3...Anna did a visible mistake in the rhumba section at NHK Trophy. They still earned level 3 for it. And now when they skated is cleaner with right edges they got level 1...I’m feeling sorry for them and I wish them best luck in the FD!

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Lynn Rutherford’s tweet made it sound like a lot of the dancers and coaches are grumbling about the inconsistent level calls throughout the GP series especially when tie breaks for the GPF is based on total scores.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I'll never understand the tech side but wow Shibs wrere amazing!:coffee::bow:

Wow SK in the top 3!
I'd even biasedly put them even in 2nd:cool:
Hopefully they won't do anything stupid in the free:laugh:
Vika is 1 breathtakingly beauty:love:

CL much better than in Japan

Basically I want this top 3.to remain:biggrin::slink:

Vika really is a stunning woman. Go model, dear. You'll make a ton more money and for the most part you'll be warmer. And hotter! LOL!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Lynn Rutherford’s tweet made it sound like a lot of the dancers and coaches are grumbling about the inconsistent level calls throughout the GP series especially when tie breaks for the GPF is based on total scores.

yup... for ice dance.. it's a huge issue...

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

calls themselves could of course vary between competitions, but when it comes to GP/GPF perspective, inside of a very tight 'top 10', where top 2 is pretty much 'spaced out' already scores-wiselocked for 2 GPF spots (great for Shibutanis though for pushing the envelope of consistent expertise!), only 4 spots are left to grab, those tie-breaks are exprected to come and this kind of 'variation' of calls made really makes it confusing to see.

Good (great even!) for Shibutanis to maintain strenght in execution and leaving pretty much no room for levels' discussion, but e.g. to see Anna/Luca back-to-back at NHK and at SA really makes it hard to understand those calls; I am a potato viewer and apologize for lack of knowledge, but those pattern calls in particular could create an impression that top teams/solid teams forget how to execute key points in it in a week? Honestly, I don't even know what to think about SD calls at SA, maybe except Shibutanis and Gilles/Poirier dinge on twizzles - is it an eye-opener and 'back to reality' thing, or is it a 'picky fest'...

On a personal note, I'm just heartbroken and discouraged by Piper and Paul...They sure are not everybody's cup of tea material-wise, but it pains me so hard that they keep on making those mistakes that put people AND judges off farther and farther. With this kind of quirk and off-the-bat material, you have to hit a nail on it to build a conviction that this is something solid, good-looking, with necessary flow and confidence, then it's up to people's preferrence and judges to evaluate it, but at least with everything they could have done to sell/present it in the strongest way possible. The performance still felt amazing for me, so in character, but it was visible that they got cautious after twizzles - they could have amazing, original programs that capture interest of many, but they just keep on making it difficult for judges to reward that, and it's not even about thier quirky style and unusual music/program preferrences - there is no execution argument left for pulling them up when they 'sabotage' themselves like with those twizzles. Adding to that a 'picky-tricky' panel and we have what we have...

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Did someone figure out the level 1 twizzles for H/B ?

EDIT : could it be that the free leg on the 1st set wasn't high enough ?

LadyB

Record Breaker
Just got up and looked at the result! Oh no, it's not what I wanted! :sad21: What happened to Piper & Paul? Must watch the video now!