2017 GPF Pairs FS | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2017 GPF Pairs FS

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
I just love when they are not answering the question but just express purely from their hearts:laugh:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Jesus Christ, I just noticed Aliona’s earrings! :eeking: I’d be so afraid of Bruno accidentally ripping one out mid program.

TCAngel18

Medalist
WORLD RECORD!!!! Holy cow! It’s been pretty obvious, at least to me that Olympic Gold has been a 2 horse race all season, but I always gave the slight edge to Sui/Han. Until now. I never quite invested myself fully in Savchenko/ Massot up until this point, because it felt like Aljona was reaching, trying to go for the Gorilla and the Flea method that worked for the Russian pair teams in the past. This season, they did come out like gangbusters with two Wonderful programs, but they didn’t quite gel for me, until that skate. They skated with verve, attack and total commitment. I thought Sui/Han skated lights out, until that tour de force. I cannot WAIT for Pyeongchang. I cannot wait to see those two programs, back to back, on Olympic ice.

Leonardo

Final Flight
I think Sui/Han are going to be doing the 4STh after today, they have it in the arsenal but I guess they need the reality that they aren't unbeatable

They are not unbeatable, but if they are perfect, they probably won't lose. They shouldn't go for the 4sth unless it's extremely consistent. That would give them 4 very risky extra points.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
That gap between 1/2 and 3rd is just massive.

like it should be, honestly - both Wenjing/Cong's and Aliona/Bruno's FSs not only have a fluid choreography, matching music chosen perfectly, well-integrated and timed elements, sophisticated outlook, polish in presentation, but an ability to create a moment to let the skate live and breathe, while making us gasp for air from the visuals created. Both programs, performed like today, are making a totally new quality in Pairs skating - not only being exciting by sole elements, but with overall program, how it is performed.

Really saw an improvement from Massot today in his lines, connection to Aliona, and patience. Well-deserved gold! :clap:

same, when I remind myself this Bruno skating with Daria Popova back in 2012 WTT - OMGGGG, what a progress, what a polsh and control gained over so many aspects!

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
S/H win PCS in SP and S/M win PCS in the FS. What a close race the olympics! It really will come down to who delivers the best on that day :cheer:

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
Wow, it was an amazing competition.
Well, it seems to me that Sui/Han may feel pressure now :p Both teams were cleanish, S/M have no quad element and yet they won with some advantage.
So happy for Aliona! Please, please, do the same at the Olympics.

...nevertheless, record for total competition score is still unbeaten. Pretty impressive, huh? V/T had no quad, no lutz or flip, no 3+2+2 whatsoever.

Leonardo

Final Flight
WORLD RECORD!!!! Holy cow! It’s been pretty obvious, at least to me that Olympic Gold has been a 2 horse race all season, but I always gave the slight edge to Sui/Han. Until now. I never quite invested myself fully in Savchenko/ Massot up until this point, because it felt like Aljona was reaching, trying to go for the Gorilla and the Flea method that worked for the Russian pair teams in the past. This season, they did come out like gangbusters with two Wonderful programs, but they didn’t quite gel for me, until that skate. They skated with verve, attack and total commitment. I thought Sui/Han skated lights out, until that tour de force. I cannot WAIT for Pyeongchang. I cannot wait to see those two programs, back to back, on Olympic ice.

Yes!!!! Pretty exciting battles in every discipline. Paris with s/m vs s/h. Dance with v/m vs p/c. Ladies with Medvedeva vs Zagitova. And men's yuzu vs shoma vs nathan

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
They are not unbeatable, but if they are perfect, they probably won't lose. They shouldn't go for the 4sth unless it's extremely consistent. That would give them 4 very risky extra points.

agree, we tend to forget that Cong fell on his 3T in SP which cost them about 5pts I think overall - I do think that this was an important moment for them to have this kind of experience under their belts, because they surely will prepare that 4Sth going forward just in case of emergency. We'll aslo see if Aliona/Bruno will successfully carry the consistency achieved and momentum.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
like it should be, honestly - both Wenjing/Cong's and Aliona/Bruno's FSs not only have a fluid choreography, matching music chosen perfectly, well-integrated and timed elements, sophisticated outlook, polish in presentation, but an ability to create a moment to let the skate live and breathe, while making us gasp for air from the visuals created. Both programs, performed like today, are making a totally new quality in Pairs skating - not only being exciting by sole elements, but with overall program, how it is performed.

same, when I remind myself this Bruno skating with Daria Popova back in 2012 WTT - OMGGGG, what a progress, what a polsh and control gained over so many aspects!

This. X a zillion.

How can you not absolutely love where Pairs is and is going?

QuadThrow

Medalist
This was a surprisingly big statement from the judges to Sui/Han:" It is not enough to be just clean."

The Queen and her beast were out of this world with this memorial FS. The highest TES ever even without a big element. This ending pose is to die for.

T/M should have been punished higher. This was the worst program today.

bobbob

Medalist
I think heading into the Olympics, the two teams are so closely matched that if both skate perfectly clean with the current layouts, the winner might come down to who skates last.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
wow WR! pairs proves that its the most exciting event at least so far, well deserved win for Aliona&Bruno!
hope Han isnt too hard on himself since looking at total scores SP probably wasnt gonna be deciding factor, ahhhh wanted them to win but still proud of what they produced :love:

Pairs are the best :cheer: S/H can do better. I don't agree with BESP guys saying it ws their best. They had negative GOE on SBS 3S, so obviously they CAN do better. Though I'm not gonna lie. I'd love them to perform quad Salchow if they feel they can do it.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Totally agree. They may need to bring that out in order to claim Olympic gold because they can definitely do it.

Or maybe they can improve their SBS jumps instead??

They already have a higher BV going in, lost a bit of points in GOE. Quad throw is as risky as Aliona's throw 3A.