2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Pairs SP | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Pairs SP

gold12345

Medalist
US Pairs never disappoints. Cain/Leduc was slightly gifted in PCS though. Their speed and choreography isn't the best.

They were a little lenient with their 3twist GOE as well. They don't appear to even be making an attempt to catch it cleanly- they are just trying to get through it without making a big error- and only three of the judges gave it -2. We've come to expect some Nationals inflation though. They were better than Denney/Frazier for sure.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Actually LeDuc is quite speedy. Ashley Cain also has really good skating skills. I haven't seen the program, so I won't comment on the PCS just yet, but just wanted to comment on my impressions of both of them live.

Shani

On the Ice
I agree. Thought the judging was good.. These teams have to respond in the free skate. USFS may have an interesting problem.

skatemouse

On the Ice
Choreography and interpretation were excellent. Easily the best of the night, IMHO.
They are cautious especially before the twist which makes them seem slow and simply put they are new with each other so no matter how experienced you are there is still a comfort level needed it takes time you can't cheat that. Their program is simple and they are big skaters so maybe not so much speed as comfort level as a team it shows its head somehow and they are not exempt. That said Bravo on the outing! Good for them as a longer team their line is great. Still best of the night. Interesting that the four teams are within striking with the FS. It will be so interesting! ! GO PAIRS!
I wasn't planning on being surprised but was that is always good when watching pairs for the most part.

I think they will all bring it in the FS and it will get really interesting!!

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Their chemistry is off the ice - they hang out and are great friends, which is the opposite of Marissa's previous partnership, as she always fought with Simon, etc. But I wonder if picking a partner based on friendship was a mistake for Marissa this time around. I was also surprised to learn that they weren't eligible for the Olympics in 2018 - did they really think they were going to go all the way until 2022?

I think she'd already been to the Olympics and wanted a good partnership more than going again. Mervin seems to be a "whatever" kind of guy. He had no hope of the Olympics when he skated for Japan, his one-year Canadian partnership didn't work out, do he'd never had any realistic Olympic hopes.

It's just sad that they chose to be partners because of their friendship and that it hasn't worked out.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, props to Ashley and Tim, :rock:, but....

Deanna and Nate, yaaaaassss! My homeboy and the comeback kid. :party2:

I usually *hate* Hallelujah, but I'll watch this one again. With the sound up even:biggrin:

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Congratulations to Deanna Stellato and Nate B! That was just amazing! They skated like a pair and their triple twist was great! In fact all their pair elements were decent! Looking forward to their FS.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Also saw it, thought it was a little odd. Who knows?

Re Mervin and Marissa, what with Mervin clapping to music and Marissa giving him a look, perhaps she's more intense and wants him to focus, whereas Mervin is pretty much a cut-up and maybe that helps him to relax a bit. Who knows? Marissa is the one who faltered in the sbs jump, sadly. They've got great style, speed and footwork aside from issues with timing and execution on some of their tech elements.

Oh dear, that's unfortunate for Mervin and Marissa. :( I'm seriously worried about their chances to make it to the Olympics next season.

Maybe someone responded to you already, but they have no chance to go to the Olympics next year anyway because Mervin is not a U.S. citizen. If they don't work things out it will be such a shame if they end up splitting. They have such good qualities together but something is simply not working for them.

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
At this moment he still can't go due to citizenship issues. Of course it could potentially be expedited but if they keep on like this I don't think it's likely.

Does Mervin have US citizenship? Has he applied for it?

If not, I wonder if being not "all in" has a psychological impact on them. And it might create some resentment on Marissa's part. Idk. I know I'd be frustrated.

Mervin does not have citizenship. They can't go in 2018

Oh wow, I didn't even realize that. Thanks guys.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Tim LeDuc must be smiling to himself after winning the short after Marissa turned him down.

He didn't win the short immediately after, but I know what you mean. Still, I doubt Tim even thinks that way.

Actually, Tim has said he felt burnt out after 2014, so maybe he blames himself for his tryout with Marissa not working out. The way he talks now, it seems as if he needed a break from competitive skating. He has said that he enjoyed touring on cruise ships for two years along with his sister who is also a skater. He was able to save money and come back to competitive skating. There are some great interviews available with Cain/LeDuc on icemusings.com and on figureskatersonline Ash/Tim fan site. Also IN has a pairs preview article up with quotes from the top teams.

If you had a chance to see the IceNetwork sp pairs press conference it was cool how Ash and Tim spoke with confidence, calm, and genuineness about their journey as a new team. As well they expressed a sense of feeling honored for how far they have come, and they also extended praise to their fellow skaters. They are cool and talented through and through. :luv17:

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
So Cain/LeDuc win the SP....who would have thought?

There have been some fans who are head over heels who predicted C/L could pull off an upset. I personally prefer to stay steady and keep expectations in check. As Ash said during the press conference, she loves to skate and she trusts her partner, and that's what it's all about. Keeping connected with positive energy means everything, and then whatever good results happen is a bonus.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I think mervin needs a new partner :shrug:

Appears to me as if Merv's best partner was Narumi Takahashi. They'd put in 5 years together. It's such a shame that Narumi chose going to the Olympics with a dud Japanese partner over waiting things out and sticking with Mervin through thick and thin. If she and Merv had continued to grow and to kill it as a pairs team, Japanese fed would have had to come around eventually. They were rather special together, but have not had the same success with other partners.

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
... C/L struggle most in the long ...

Sometimes this can be the case with some teams, but I don't think that is borne out if you watch Ash/Tim's progress from the beginning of the season from event to event. It was helpful for them to be sent to 3 Challenger events, as well as a couple of pre-season events in the U.S. They looked good from the beginning, but they were trying things out and getting used to each other. Each event helped them to learn something about themselves and their programs, and they made steady tweaks. By the time they competed at Golden Spin, they were looking much improved and basically skated fairly clean programs on all their elements (no major errors at all). Yes, C/L still need to work on speed and adding difficulty, but for a new team, what they have accomplished so far is amazing. Same for Stellato/Bartholomay!

C/L's fp is very lovely and they performed it somewhat better than they did their sp at Golden Spin, where they won a bronze medal. :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Tim and Ashley were amazing, but man Deanna Stellato was the highlight for me. I wish that she tried pairs (or ice dance) earlier -- she is striking to look at and she is just so serene. Also her positions/postures were a standout among U.S. pair girls. You'd never know she was picking this up at age 33.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Appears to me as if Merv's best partner was Narumi Takahashi. They'd put in 5 years together. It's such a shame that Narumi chose going to the Olympics with a dud Japanese partner over waiting things out and sticking with Mervin through thick and thin. If she and Merv had continued to grow and to kill it as a pairs team, Japanese fed would have had to come around eventually. They were rather special together, but have not had the same success with other partners.

I don't think it was the Japanese Fed so much as the Japanese government. It seems there was no way Mervin was getting Japanese citizenship and Narumi did not want to give up her Japanese citizenship to get Canadian citizenship as dual citizenship would have been allowed for her.

skatemouse

On the Ice
Sometimes this can be the case with some teams, but I don't think that is borne out if you watch Ash/Tim's progress from the beginning of the season from event to event. It was helpful for them to be sent to 3 Challenger events, as well as a couple of pre-season events in the U.S. They looked good from the beginning, but they were trying things out and getting used to each other. Each event helped them to learn something about themselves and their programs, and they made steady tweaks. By the time they competed at Golden Spin, they were looking much improved and basically skated fairly clean programs on all their elements (no major errors at all). Yes, C/L still need to work on speed and adding difficulty, but for a new team, what they have accomplished so far is amazing. Same for Stellato/Bartholomay!

C/L's fp is very lovely and they performed it somewhat better than they did their sp at Golden Spin, where they won a bronze medal. :)

I have watched them from years ago and it has to do with the athlete more than the team. Many teams start and have to build every year actually stamina especially in the FP. It is just something more noticed in certain pairs and it can be a problem for pairs closer in size although they are conquering those things everyone has their issues and special talents that are unique to them as a team. Many teams were together a very short time and had huge success I can think of several teams that started that way even Olympians or World competitors and yes Nationals their first year even months together had huge success. It is usually because there is NO pressure lots of experience in the discipline by at least one pair and NO expectations and it is good and always fun to watch but it always changes and it is part of the growth of the athlete/pair. It is a benefit that they both are experienced. I say good for them good for all the teams that have had super accomplishments after only even short months together.
One step at a time.
Everyone has their issues all teams and again their special talents. All teams are better under-dogs or better FP skaters or SP skaters. Better at pair elements or tech element vs artistry. It is pretty normal in this sport to have a niche it is ok.
I wish them luck S/B too were great she is crazy good to do this at her age she proves that age is just a number for sure. . The FP will be interesting for all the reasons I mentioned above especially the under-dog fight! As Ash and Tim said "There will be a lot of redemption skates" and it will be really exciting as pairs should be new and seasoned!! Goodluck to all!

Last edited:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I remember a while ago someone said it was the Japanese federation who decided not to support his Japanese citizenship for the Olympics.