2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 447 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

alpaca

On the Ice
In all honesty, these programs have made me kind of wonder what the long term plan for Zhenya's career is? I know baby steps are to be taken and we can already see much improvement in her SS and jump technique. However, I don't think these programs play to her strengths at all. I think there was definitely a way her new skills could be showcased while still showcasing strengths she's already established from the previous years.
It's unfortunate that there is rather a time constraint on how much time she can take to improve if she wants to stay at the top competitiveness in the field of Russian ladies (or even globally, like Rika's score was a bit of a shock today) but I guess that's how things be. BUT this does not mean Zhenya's career is nearly close to being over. I think we should treat it as a new start and hopefully in the long run, she truly does become even better than she was when/if she stayed with Eteri.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
In all honesty, these programs have made me kind of wonder what the long term plan for Zhenya's career is? I know baby steps are to be taken and we can already see much improvement in her SS and jump technique. However, I don't think these programs play to her strengths at all. I think there was definitely a way her new skills could be showcased while still showcasing strengths she's already established from the previous years.
It's unfortunate that there is rather a time constraint on how much time she can take to improve if she wants to stay at the top competitiveness in the field of Russian ladies (or even globally, like Rika's score was a bit of a shock today) but I guess that's how things be. BUT this does not mean Zhenya's career is nearly close to being over. I think we should treat it as a new start and hopefully in the long run, she truly does become even better than she was when/if she stayed with Eteri.

I agree with everything but the last sentence. I would change "even better than" for "as good as"....

halulupu

Final Flight
there is not much time anymore for zhenya and alina to improve their jumps. rikas pcs and goe will magically rise, if she can skate cleanish (and atm it looks like that). Then a clean skate with their current content is not enough anymore. I hope they can bounce back. They certainly are the biggest fighters out there.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
there is not much time anymore for zhenya and alina to improve their jumps. rikas pcs and goe will magically rise, if she can skate cleanish (and atm it looks like that). Then a clean skate with their current content is not enough anymore. I hope they can bounce back. They certainly are the biggest fighters out there.

Rika is highly inconsistent. She usally has one clean skate and then her nerves get to her and she messes everything up. She especially messes up during big competitions so we will see how the season goes. Honestly with Rika and Alina having issues with their confidence and the pressure on them it is never predictable how the season will end for them.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I would honestly be surprised if all three even get promoted to senior next season let alone make it to worlds. I know it is blasphemy to say around these parts but unless she wins gold at Nationals, JGPF or JW I suspect they will keep Anna in juniors for another season.

Anna? No way, she has the SB, and they have more juniors coming up that they need the spots for (Valieva, Usacheva, Kromykh, perhaps Ryabova)

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I would honestly be surprised if all three even get promoted to senior next season let alone make it to worlds. I know it is blasphemy to say around these parts but unless she wins gold at Nationals, JGPF or JW I suspect they will keep Anna in juniors for another season.
Anna in juniors? What on earth would she do there? Her SB combined with the disappointing performance by numerous people as well as the numerous season-skippers should mean that Anna would have senior GP invites next season anyway.

She needs to go to seniors as soon as possible so we can see her performing a choreo sequence. Although the choreo sequence I look forward to the most would have to be Valieva's.

Scott512

Record Breaker

Bounce back? From what, greatness?

halulupu

Final Flight
Bounce back? From what, greatness?
From splatfests, empty programs and weird music cuts for example. (just my opinion, expressed a bit provocatively. Please don't jump at me and eat me alive). However I believe they can and will bounce back

moriel

Record Breaker
From splatfests, empty programs and weird music cuts for example. (just my opinion, expressed a bit provocatively. Please don't jump at me and eat me alive). However I believe they can and will bounce back

Splatfests, where?
I mean, so far, both are more consistent than Rika, so they are good and safe imho.

Scott512

Record Breaker

Open skates were public practice sessions fof Alina and Zhenya where they were working new programs. Lets see how the new season goes for them. They are the cream of the crop in senior ladies until proven otherwise.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anna in juniors? What on earth would she do there? Her SB combined with the disappointing performance by numerous people as well as the numerous season-skippers should mean that Anna would have senior GP invites next season anyway.

She needs to go to seniors as soon as possible so we can see her performing a choreo sequence. Although the choreo sequence I look forward to the most would have to be Valieva's.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Anna on the JGP again. Plenty of good arguments to go both ways but my gut tells me the RusFed will keep her back. I don’t really care because I just want to see her skate and I prefer the JGP so I’m fine with it but I’d certainly welcome her on the Senior GP.

I do think she would benefit from a little more power that she could develop for another season before a senior debut. I’d hate to see her losing out on PCS to skaters with far less technical ability on the GP but she’s going to be competitive no matter where she goes and will get good PCS.. Going into seniors with a JWC gold can really be a big help too.

I don’t know...I think it could go either way but I don’t find it absurd to keep her back for a second season and could even be seen as beneficial if she did one more in some ways(not all) Not only for her but for the RusFed’s interest too. She has plenty of time before the Olympics. A lot may depend where she places at JGPF and subsequently JWC. I think the judges like Alena a lot and Tiny Boss is a very real challenge to surpass. In two seasons when the points for a bronze at JWC vs a Gold or Silver are cut in half for World Standings it is more of an issue. I’m going to go look up the points for JWC right now...I’ve beem curious for a while. :think:

typeyournamehere

Match Penalty
if seniors won't be very bad this season, i also totally see the fed keeping Scherbakova in juniors for one more season
though Kostornaya and Trusova will most likely move up

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
if seniors won't be very bad this season, i also totally see the fed keeping Scherbakova in juniors for one more season

Maybe if she could up her “Russian Team jacket worn in public game” I would be forced to change my mind. I mean...I love ya Anna but THIS a missed opportunity. :biggrin:

Her pink yoga ball game is acceptable though :agree:

atsumiri

Record Breaker

I'm pretty doubt it.
She has already got pretty good SB.
And there're enough girls in juniors. Tarakanova, Kanysheva, Valieva, Usacheva included.