2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 110 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

princessalica

Final Flight
Oh, I hope better for Alaine - she has potential, and just isn't doing it. I hope Starr manages to have a much better weekend.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Starr’s hs two GP because of the lack of depth in the field right now. Japan and Russia have maxed out their spots, so they have to chose lower from the list. She got SA because of how well s she did are nationals. She got SC because of her high score in 4CC.

Whats annoying to me is people complaining about Starr and other skaters getting spots without understanding how spots are even given in the first place.

I agree. Is there a US skater who has beaten Starr that only has 1 event? It's not like she booted someone off the GP is it?

frida80

Record Breaker
Maybe the annoyance is at how spots are given in the first place.

No. The true problem is people are frustrated with US ladies under performing and are taking it out on every skater than can.

It’s not one skaters job to save US ladies. What are you going to do when Gracie competes and pops her jumps? Say she never should’ve come back? What happens when Karen returns and falls on her jumps? This viciousness when one skater has a bumpy skate is the true annoyance.

rlopen

On the Ice
People are REALLY overdoing it. Bradie placed one spot worse than she was (reasonably) expected to place. (If they all went clean, she most likely would have been 3rd behind Satoko and Kaori.) It's not like she completely melted down and placed in the bottom...she was 4th, which isn't exactly what we wanted from her, but it isn't terrible and she was 20 points better than Laurine who was one placement behind her...so even though she didn't skate that well, she still was somewhat competitive and close to Samodurova for that 3rd place spot (and she scored in the 190's even with the popped loop and underrotations.)

Silver Ice

On the Ice
It's so annoying when someone like Starr who wouldn't even be competitive on the junior circuit has TWO senior GPs. She placed dead last at Skate America, and I'm not anticipating much better this weekend, though the Canadian ladies could be in the fight for last place too.

Who did better at nationals last year that should have gotten two spots and didn't?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Most ladies on the senior circuit wouldn't be competitive for a medal on the junior circuit. As Samodurova's placement here makes clear. (And she clearly hasn't gone through adolescence yet so we'll see how she deals with it as well). Starr earned her spot at SA very clearly at the end of last season. She also had a higher score than Wessenburg this summer.

You could argue that Skate Canada should have extended a second invitation to Courtney Hicks over Starr, but that is SC's prerogative. Or you could argue that USFS could have invited Courtney & Starr over Wessenburg based on summer results. But regardless, Starr earned a spot at SA.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Samodurova is 16---I think she has probably gone through adolescence. There is such a thing as post-pubertal growth, which Sophia may not have gone through as yet (and which apparently Zagitova and Starr Andrews are going through now).

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
You could argue that Skate Canada should have extended a second invitation to Courtney Hicks over Starr, but that is SC's prerogative. Or you could argue that USFS could have invited Courtney & Starr over Wessenburg based on summer results. But regardless, Starr earned a spot at SA.

I hope not getting two GPs lights a fire in Courtney. She has the talent to be in the US top 5 every year but takes too much risk and has no way to make up points when she makes mistakes on the jumps. She is almost certain to miss that 3F-3Lo in the SP and take herself out of the running. Until she shows she can be more strategic to plan a program she can execute well, I don't think she deserves a spot over an up-and-comer like Starr.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I hope not getting two GPs lights a fire in Courtney. She has the talent to be in the US top 5 every year but takes too much risk and has no way to make up points when she makes mistakes on the jumps. She is almost certain to miss that 3F-3Lo in the SP and take herself out of the running. Until she shows she can be more strategic to plan a program she can execute well, I don't think she deserves a spot over an up-and-comer like Starr.

I was going to ask how many US Ladies have 2 events? It's not just Starr and Bradie, right?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
2 events:
Starr Andrews
Mariah Bell
Bradie Tennell
Angela Wang

1 event:
Karen Chen
Gracie Gold
Courtney Hicks
Megan Wessenberg

IMO, an asterisk belongs next to Karen's name -- to denote that she originally did have two GPs -- because the context of the current discussion is who does or does not "deserve" two.

It's a shame that Karen had to withdraw from one of her two GPs, but it is not as if she does not have a second because someone else got an assignment.

mrrice

Record Breaker
IMO, an asterisk belongs next to Karen's name -- to denote that she originally did have two GPs -- because the context of the current discussion is who does or not "deserve" two.

It's a shame that Karen had to withdraw from one of her two GPs, but it is not as if she does not have a second because someone else got an assignment.

Though I love her, I'm surprised to Angela Wang with 2 spots. Did she have a good international event last year?

frida80

Record Breaker
Yes, that's what I noticed. Lots of skaters have a disastrous skate, but Starr just didn't look like she belonged there--lots and lots of crossovers, not tons of edge control. She was tiny, so she had an easy time jumping, and a lot of flexibility, so she could get the spins, but it's not clean looking post-growth spurt.

Starr has a 189 from US Nationals and scored 6th. She scored 172 at Four Continents and placed 7th. If you have a problem with her going to SA, take t up with the judges from both the competitions.

There have been far worse skaters that have gotten a GP slot. No point in complaining about them for earning it.

klutzy

On the Ice
I'd like to have seen Amber Glenn get a spot. I know she's shaky, but she has real potential.

I'm not that worried about Bradie--yes, bronze would have been nice, but she popped a jump. That's all. The problem isn't Bradie, it's the lack of other skaters. Bradie will, I expect, keep working and getting better as the season goes on.

klutzy

On the Ice
The problem is that Starr has two spots and she's noncompetitive. I don't have a problem, per se, with how the spot was awarded, but her skating's not where it needs to be. It's unfortunate, since she does have charisma and knows how to perform for an audience.

bennorii

On the Ice
Though I love her, I'm surprised to Angela Wang with 2 spots. Did she have a good international event last year?

Angela replaced Karen in Finland, so Angela now has 2 GPs.
She had a good 2017-18 season, and her 4th place showing at Finlandia Trophy with a score (and PB) of 183.85 put her high up on the SB list for GP selection. She was initially only invited to NHK.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The problem is that Starr has two spots and she's noncompetitive. I don't have a problem, per se, with how the spot was awarded, but her skating's not where it needs to be. It's unfortunate, since she does have charisma and knows how to perform for an audience.

She was good at Nationals and 4CC. If "competitive" skaters who got 0 or 1 spots skated to their potential, they would have one of Starr's spots.

frida80

Record Breaker

If you have a problem with Starr having two spots, then you have a problem with the system not her. Last year Amber got a spot because she performed well the prior year at Zagreb. She had a terrible outings at CoC, Philly International, and Lombardía Trophy. But she still earned that spot no matter how bad she was the entire fall season. China chose her to fill in the spot, just as Canada choice Starr. And yet you say Amber now deserves a spot even though last year she couldn’t crack 150 internationally and scored a 165 at nationals and completely bombed Philly International with a FS score of of 62!

Spots are not given whether or not a skaters does fewer cross overs or has better edge control. It's how they perform the prior season. If you have a complaint, it's how judges are scoring her when she lands her jumps.