2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 112 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

frida80

Record Breaker
If Gold drops out, perhaps Wessenberg will get this spot?

She’s not on the substitution list, so no. The good thing for her is that she will be getting another CS. If she can do well there’s, she’ll be put on the sub list for next year.

concorde

Medalist
Curious -is there an equivalent to the Challenger Series but for Junior skaters? I don't think so but wanted to check.

frida80

Record Breaker
Curious -is there an equivalent to the Challenger Series but for Junior skaters? I don't think so but wanted to check.

No. There aren’t plenty of junior competitions, but only the JGP is recognized by the ISU. I wish they would start a junior CS. But since nearly everyone can participate in a JGP, ISU probably feels there is no need.

ribbit

On the Ice
So I have been reading the last few pages of posts, and one thing I don’t get is why isn’t figure skating a college sport like gymnastic. Because if you have that, then kids that are talented but couldn’t compete due to injury can then compete for NCAA and most can get a college scholarship. And I mean it would help our adult figure skaters like Karen or Ashley or even Gracie to have a way to continue their training than to skip a year or hold of college. Not to mentioned, wouldn’t it help Nathan too if Yale has a ice rink?

This subject was recently and exhaustively discussed in this thread:
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?73295-Thoughts-on-U-S-skating-talent

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
No. There aren’t plenty of junior competitions, but only the JGP is recognized by the ISU. I wish they would start a junior CS. But since nearly everyone can participate in a JGP, ISU probably feels there is no need.

Yes, whereas the GP fields are around 12 per division, JGP have many more slots for some reason.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

To me, there is a need, even if it's only to help with WR. Seniors and senior-eligible JGP skaters who can do senior comps have it a lot easier. Their WR can be increased with challenger series and Euros/4CC, which gives them an inherent advantage over newly-eligible seniors who don't have those opportunities due to the system.

katymay

Medalist
To me, there is a need, even if it's only to help with WR. Seniors and senior-eligible JGP skaters who can do senior comps have it a lot easier. Their WR can be increased with challenger series and Euros/4CC, which gives them an inherent advantage over newly-eligible seniors who don't have those opportunities due to the system.

What I would really love to see, this year especially, is a Juniors vs. Seniors. (LOL)

frida80

Record Breaker

It would help out skaters who don’t make the JW team get a nice SB for next year. Gubanova could’ve really used it. :(

And it definately can help with skaters who need bigger WR score to get higher in the WR. But I think there’s a lot of complications that comes with adding another ten ISU competitions. Where will they be held, how many, when will they be held, prize money, federation drama, etc.

However, I suppose if they can manage to hold the CS at the same time as the JGP and not run into problems finding judges, they should be a ken to work all these kinks out.

SorrySkater

On the Ice
She’s not on the substitution list, so no. The good thing for her is that she will be getting another CS. If she can do well there’s, she’ll be put on the sub list for next year.

Thanks for the clarification. Policy changes were discussed in this thread or elsewhere, and it seems like a reasonable one to add strong performers in GP/Challenger events to the sub list if they aren’t already there.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Megan Wessenberg

She's a host spot, so she was chosen despite not having a SB last year from an ISU competition that counts. Starr did - 172 and change from 4CC. That's why Starr has two - she's high enough up on the replacement list to be invited.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I agree that spreading the higher level skaters is better for competition, but it adds an advantage for those who are seeded. I get the feds are paying the expenses, but that doesn’t mean they should pad their events with weaker skaters to help their own skates. Sorry, but I just don’t like the Grand Prix. Too much manipulation and not enough intergrity.

Is there any evidence that this actually happens? If we're talking about substitutes, for the most part they aren't going to threaten for the podium anyway because they have weaker competitive records if they were originally slated for 1 or 0 events. People initially drawn for the events seem to be pretty even spread out. I think it is to be expected that some events will have stronger fields than others just because how the seedings are based don't fully reflect actual ability (i.e. an Olympic medalist not competing at Worlds).