2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 138 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

crazydreamer

On the Ice
What surprises me is that they haven't sent anyone to her for a story. Someone to take a couple of pictures of her training. Even getting coffee, or stretching before a session. I find the videos of Plushy's Academy very entertaining and they rarely jump at all. They could have the Skating Lesson go the rink and ask her a couple of questions. I'd love to see Gracie training her footwork, or in the studio doing ballet. It's "Her" I care about much more than the skating.
I’m sure this is intentional. I would expect that a professional and serious team managing the comeback of an athlete who was sent into a depressive spiral due to pressure and stress and a feeling like she wasn’t meeting her own and the public’s expectations would immediately put a Chinese fire wall between the skater and all media—social and otherwise. Any leaks or informational of any sort leads to commentary online, speculation, which bring up all the old issues and insecurities all over again. Again, if they are taking this seriously, I would even expect them to have banned her from using social media or looking at figure skating related sites in the lead up to her comeback. It’s like the equivalent of an alcoholic not putting himself in the vicinity of alcohol.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Exciting to see an Intermediate lady try a triple lutz-triple toe (winner of the short at Easterns), she was quite musical as well.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That was Lindsay Thorngren who tried 3z+3t. But both jumps were <.
Isabeau Levito was 3rd in the SP. She did 3lo+2t, 3s, 2a---all clean with +GOE. She got a few +4 on her spins, both L4.

momrk

Medalist
Country
United-States
Given all she (Gracie G) has been dealing with, I hope they are keeping the spotlight off of her- she does not need any added pressure or influence, she needs to skate for herself first

momrk

Medalist
Country
United-States
Jeremy, tasteful and eloquent as ever :noshake:

He's really downplaying her comeback.
Jeremy is showing great wisdom- this is a process of many steps, and she is early into this if it indeed becomes a 4 year plan. Right now, her focus needs to be on where she is now, and what she can present

Amei

Record Breaker
Gracie being off social media isn't too surprising, but I am surprised that there are essentially no news stories at all about her comeback this weekend. I do think the USFSA is playing a big role in keeping the spotlight off of her.

Well that's an optimistic view, it probably comes closer to the reality that figure skating is only newsworthy popular in the US during the Olympics and we are as far from the next Olympics as possible.

Carolla5501

On the Ice
What surprises me is that they haven't sent anyone to her for a story. Someone to take a couple of pictures of her training. Even getting coffee, or stretching before a session. I find the videos of Plushy's Academy very entertaining and they rarely jump at all. They could have the Skating Lesson go the rink and ask her a couple of questions. I'd love to see Gracie training her footwork, or in the studio doing ballet. It's "Her" I care about much more than the skating.

The Skating Lesson?.....

Really. I think if they want publicity they will go with something more reputable

I think it helps she’s in Russia. Cuts down on the attention here.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I’m sure this is intentional. I would expect that a professional and serious team managing the comeback of an athlete who was sent into a depressive spiral due to pressure and stress and a feeling like she wasn’t meeting her own and the public’s expectations would immediately put a Chinese fire wall between the skater and all media—social and otherwise. Any leaks or informational of any sort leads to commentary online, speculation, which bring up all the old issues and insecurities all over again. Again, if they are taking this seriously, I would even expect them to have banned her from using social media or looking at figure skating related sites in the lead up to her comeback. It’s like the equivalent of an alcoholic not putting himself in the vicinity of alcohol.

I don't even know if it would be Gracie's team keeping her away from the media/social media - I'd guess it's Gracie herself. I got the sense the attention, pressure, and frankly cruelty from the fans when she didn't perform up their their expectations played a role in what she went through.

momrk

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't even know if it would be Gracie's team keeping her away from the media/social media - I'd guess it's Gracie herself. I got the sense the attention, pressure, and frankly cruelty from the fans when she didn't perform up their their expectations played a role in what she went through.

Even better if she is setting boundaries for herself- for her recovery to be successful, that is part of what needs to happen.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
An NBC Sports article by Nick Zaccardi, mostly about Gracie. Nick spoke with Jeremy Abbott about her:

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018/11/14/gracie-gold-rostelecom-cup-comeback/

That is a really good article. Well, I've always liked Nick Zaccardi's articles. This is a very interesting quote from Jeremy about what Gracie said to him:

Gold made it clear to Abbott whom she wanted to become.

“She was like, ‘I always was viewed as a jumper and not a skater. I always wanted to be an artist, but everyone told me stick to what you’re best at,'” Abbott said. “Working with her, she is an artist. She is sensitive. She understands the music.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018/11/14/gracie-gold-rostelecom-cup-comeback/

To me, that's great news. She's taking this opportunity to take her skating in a direction that she's wanted to pursue. Good for her.

It also illustrates how fine a line all these skaters walk, between expressing what they feel compelled and drawn toward, while trying to please all the people who are advising something else. I have a good feeling about what we'll see from Gracie this week-end.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
With this layout can we expect she will surprise us with good skating? Since she put 2A-2T vs. her usual 2A-3T, it suggested it is not just a blueprint to achieve in the future. I mean she plans 2A-2T probably because she has not got her 2A-3T back; on the other hand, there is no reason she put 3Lz-3T if she cannot do it in practice.
Planned layouts is out! Gracie seems like she is more confident with her flip now!

SP: 3Lz+3T, 3F, 2A
FS: 3Lz+3T, 3F, 3S, 2A, 2A+2T, 3T, 3S+2T+2T (no loop, 2A+3T, and a second 3Lz, might change)

http://cloud.isu.org/index.php/s/36oc2aR1dFS9ZzU#pdfviewer

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

thanks, withwings. That link didn't work for me, but I think this is the article you meant to share. It's also a really good one. My favorite quote from Ashley:

I watched Carolina Kostner and what she was able to do toward the later part of her career and I really admire that.
I think that there’s something to be said about coming out and putting out quality and still being able to perform that doesn’t entirely write off someone who’s not trying the technically most difficult program.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018...tive-future-role-as-coach-and-upcoming-shows/

I've been hoping Ashley would do just that ... skate for herself and for performance. But she's always been such a fierce competitor and has been motivated by that. Well, as much as I want her presence on the ice and as much as I miss her skating, I'm very happy for her that she's so happy where she is! After 11 years, she did deserve a break and whatever she decides for her future.