2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 137 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
Social media is hard work. It may have started out as a fun thing - but now it’s commercializing fast and the last thing a skater should be handling or thinking about unless they have a natural interest in it. I’m perfectly ok with the radio silence. At the end of the day, I’m here for the skating, although the social media posts when done well are indeed fun.

What surprises me is that they haven't sent anyone to her for a story. Someone to take a couple of pictures of her training. Even getting coffee, or stretching before a session. I find the videos of Plushy's Academy very entertaining and they rarely jump at all. They could have the Skating Lesson go the rink and ask her a couple of questions. I'd love to see Gracie training her footwork, or in the studio doing ballet. It's "Her" I care about much more than the skating.

princessalica

Final Flight
Social media is hard work. It may have started out as a fun thing - but now it’s commercializing fast and the last thing a skater should be handling or thinking about unless they have a natural interest in it. I’m perfectly ok with the radio silence. At the end of the day, I’m here for the skating, although the social media posts when done well are indeed fun.

If their strategy is to build suspense among true fans, their plans is a success.

macy

Record Breaker
i think at this point she may have even requested no media on her at all until she competes. like others have stated, i get the vibe she is trying to not publicize this as much as she can and keep the distractions away while she prepares. if that's what she feels is best and healthiest for her, so be it.

andromache

Record Breaker
I agree. I am surprised however, that they didn't try to create a "Buzz" around her comeback. She was extremely popular and with Mirai and Ashley out, I'm hoping they'll be stories as Nationals approaches.

This is cynical of me....but I doubt USFS wants to build buzz around someone who is likely to be a question mark and potential disappointment, especially if Gracie herself would prefer to stay out of the spotlight for now.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Read what the article says: When Jeremy first worked with Gracie in the spring she only had doubles. That was more than 6 months ago.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Read what the article says: When Jeremy first worked with Gracie in the spring she only had doubles. That was more than 6 months ago.
I know but she had to relearn the triples and then also apply them to the program which is infinitely more difficult than just doing isolated jumps (more so in a long program)

brightphoton

Medalist
An NBC Sports article by Nick Zaccardi, mostly about Gracie. Nick spoke with Jeremy Abbott about her:

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018/11/14/gracie-gold-rostelecom-cup-comeback/

Jeremy, tasteful and eloquent as ever :noshake:

“From where her life was, I think it takes some major balls to even put herself back into this situation,” said Abbott.

He's really downplaying her comeback.

“This isn’t like a big massive coming-out party for her. This is really just the first step to get her feet back under her, get her going again because the plan isn’t about this competition. The plan isn’t about this season. The plan is really about building for her future and the next four years.”

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
As long as she understands it's a process she should be okay. I find it interesting and encouraging that she is striving to be more artistic. I am one who has never viewed her as artistic but I do see where she made improvements. It seems like these programs are more personal to her which, I hope, will translate in her performance. Maybe we'll see more feeling and emotion from her.

A solid return to competition and a happy rejuvenated skater is what I'm hoping for.

Side note: Olympic Channel needs to do their research. They said Zagitova, Samodurova and Shiraiwa were in the hunt for a trip to the Final. :palmf: It's Mako Yamashita who finished a razor-thin second at her event and has a shot at the Final. Sad...no matter who is reporting they never seem to get it right. SMH.

Joubabe

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Taking it to the way she was treated at Nationals by the judging, which in my opinion should have been either inflated equally, or severely marked equally, it's again hard not to think about what could have been. Looking at the posts in this thread detailing ladies' medals in the past decade, it's clear how valuable Ashley was, and how much she has done for US ladies' figure skating. I don't know, maybe it's an example of the adage "No good deed goes unpunished."

I miss Ashley's skating, and I wish she'd return, because I still think we need skaters like her in competitions. She brought a lot of charisma, ice presence, personality, and staying power that no one else did.

I couldn't agree more, skylark!

andromache

Record Breaker
Ahhhhh y'all beat me to the Gracie article!

Jeremy's interview has made me even more excited for her programs. Give me artist Gracie!

(Also I LOVE the LP song so much.)

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
They're going on this week!

The second group of Intermediate Ladies is on the ice warming up now at Easterns. USFSA fan zone site is streaming it. So far my major discovery is Isabeau Levito - I won't say more, since I don't want to violate the competition discussion rule - but wow, the force is strong with this one. Great spins and performance quality.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The second group of Intermediate Ladies is on the ice warming up now at Easterns. USFSA fan zone site is streaming it. So far my major discovery is Isabeau Levito - I won't say more, since I don't want to violate the competition discussion rule - but wow, the force is strong with this one. Great spins and performance quality.

The segment is over, so feel free to chat about her!