2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 154 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

bennorii

On the Ice
Alysa's 2nd 3A was called underrotated, but the tech content was definitely there. The only double she did was 2A. The PCS was mid to high 7s.

Icey

Record Breaker
Gracie’s presence at Rostelecom has nothing to do with the choices of USFS. They did not “give” her the opportunity over someone else. She was entitled to a GP slot by the ISU comeback rules. That’s it.

Could someone post that rule. Does it only have to do with the GP series as someone has suggested?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Could someone post that rule. Does it only have to do with the GP series as someone has suggested?

I’m afraid I don’t understand the question?

The ISU rule was posted earlier in this thread although right now I am sorry I don’t have time to look for it. The ISU rules govern the Grand Prix and the Russian Fed invites skaters to its Grand Prix. Therefore, as a result of the ISU rules and the Rus Fed invitation, Gracie was at Rostelecom.

Of course, the USFS sets the qualifiying standards for US Nats and the reasons for byes to Nats. My understanding was that since Rostelecom took place during the qualifying sectionals, held this weekend, a skater would get a bye to Nats.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
https://www.isu.org/docman-document...98-gp-general-announcement-2018-19-final/file

Page 2:

“Come-Back” Skaters/Couples: Skaters/Couples who were previously seeded (placed 1 to 6 within the past 10 years at a ISU World Figure Skating Championships) and subsequently did not participate in one or more competitive seasons will be given priority consideration to re-enter the ISU Grand Prix of FigureISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating and ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final 2018/19
Skating for selection of up to 2 assignments if they commit in writing to participating in two ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events and if such return is announced and confirmed by the date of the annual Selection Meeting. Such so called “Come Back Skaters/Couples” will not substitute any of the Seeded Skaters/Couples, mentioned under a). “Come Back Skaters/Couples” must not fulfil the requirements of the minimum Grand Prix score and would be considered for selection as an Organizing ISU Member Choice. A come back under this clause is allowed only once in their competitive career for any Skater/Couple.

ETA: wrong section. the correct one is posted now.

Reading this makes me wonder the urgency. She could have taken advantage of this clause any time from now until 2026 (10 years from 2016 Worlds). Maybe it was to take advantage of the national bye rules

http://usfsa.org/content/2018-19 Rulebook.pdf
2471 Singles competitors qualify for sectional championships by:
A. Placing in the top four at a regional championship;
B. For junior and senior events, any Team USA skater who has been assigned to an international competition, regardless
of whether it conflicts with their regional championship. Said skater would have the choice to compete at their regional championship but would not lose their bye to the sectional championship regardless of placement, nor displace a skater who might place in the top four at regionals if said skater was not entered;

C. Having four or fewer entries in their event at a regional championship or having 12 or fewer entries in their event in all regional championships within their section;
D. Having won the U.S. Championships at the novice level the previous season, if competing at the novice level this season;
E. HavingwontheU.S.Championshipsatthejuniorlevelthepreviousseason,ifcompetingatthejuniorlevelthisseason;
F. Having won a sectional championship at the senior level the previous season.

2514 A competitor will automatically receive a bye to the U.S. Figure Skating Championships from the chair of the Competitions
Committee if all of the criteria below are met:
A. The competitor is a member of the United States Figure Skating Team as defined in ICR 3.04;
B. Thecompetitorisassignedtoandcompetesinasingles,pairsand/oricedanceeventinaninternationalcompetition;and C. The competition mentioned in (B) conflicts with the competitor’s sectional championships.
D. Furthermore, to receive a bye in a singles event:
1. The competitor must place in the top four at his/her regional championship;
a. Such byed competitors would not displace competitors who would have otherwise placed in the top four at their
regional championship. In this situation, more than four competitors would qualify for the appropriate sectional
championships.
2. And, if competing internationally in a pair and/or ice dance event, the competitor must also have competed at the
previous year’s U.S. Figure Skating Championships in a singles event.

Last edited:

Icey

Record Breaker
It seems strange that a bye is given just for being in an event. Seems there ought to be some minimum score or placement requirement at that event and the skater should, thus, have to have competed in both the short and long program.

champs

Final Flight
It seems strange that a bye is given just for being in an event. Seems there ought to be some minimum score or placement requirement at that event and the skater should, thus, have to have competed in both the short and long program.

So you're saying, if the freeskate got cancelled like what happened in France a few years back, the said skater shouldn't get a bye?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If so, this is a change from what the rule was before. IIRC, when Kimmie Meissner withdrew from her GP events in 2009, it made her ineligible to bye into the 2010 Nationals.

I'm sort of mixed on Gracie withdrawing. I was fully behind her yesterday after her poor skate in the SP, and I understand wanting to build her confidence. However, I really feel like if you're going to commit to participating in an event, you should finish it. She could have gone out there, done all doubles, came in last and I don't think it would have affected her that much because she wasn't putting her best out there.

I have so many mixed feelings. First how can you not feel and be cheering for Gracie or any skater making a come back. You want a happy ending. SEcond, I am not sure what the rules are or what GRacie knew as to her being ready to compete. Would a skater say in the 15 to 20 world championship ranking range be invited to skate at a GP event? Mind you the host nation has some freedoms toinvite who they want after fulfilling their obligations. And Gracie would sell tickets. On the other hand, similar to Rachel Flatt and many others - should a skater be penalized when they know they are "injured" or really cannot compete? it woud appear Gracie would have some knowledge she really wasn't ready I am assuming. Alternatively, Gracie is smart she is using the rules to her advantage. Guaranteeing a spot at Nats, get experience and a pay cheque in Russia. Had she gone through regionals/sectionals it appears she might notmakeit to Nats. Nowshe has sometime. You can't help but cheer for a fairytale ending. Still as I jump back and forth Gracie has a lot of supports and opportunities because she is or was a top level skater. And maybe skating or competitive athletes have to focus on what is good for them and screw the rest

I like the rest of us are armchair coaches or Clarvoyants lol. What is best for Gracie? What is best for American Skating? What is really fair? I think she needs stabilty and the fact over a relative short period of time her skating declined andthen she pulled out for a bit only to be out ofthe olympicsto get help.Then in a relatively short period of time she was going to coach and then change again to she wants to compete. add to that physical moves and family issues that may have also created finanical stress - Gracie needs to have some stability. We remember watching her skate decline before she sought help. And she comes back really in no better shape (aI am talking mentalyl and physically - not weight. Healing takes time and th enotion she would come back to top level skating also maybe assumed to much. She is so loved and that is helping though I am not sure from a fan perspective there would be such patience and understanding if she were not so loved as a skater. I honestly think she is beautiful but it was heartbreaking and almost defied logic - it was kind of clear she was not ready to comeback. My friend and I were disturbed not by Gracie physically but wondering "and who thought it was a good idea for her to compete at this level - forget about someone else could have had a chance to compete or there would be or could be one less competitor at US nationals. I know someone mentioned test skates might have been helpful - assuming this wasn't a fluke - some monitoring of Gracie one would assume this was not one off. I guess we could hope but there were some signs from her skating she wasn't ready. I think Osmond was smart; she made a call about the season pretty early on and could play and live off of that decision. I think Gracie might need to do that and yes, I am no professional, but I just want this woman to be happy and healthy - take some real time off to heal and grow and feel the love. These short burst allow for a bit of healing but like an injured leg. You don't skate for a bit and heals somewhat but then you skate and train ard and reinjure it. It never heals because you do't all for the full healing process - you cut it short. I wish I had a magic wand. Because it really was disturbing in a way to watch Gracie kind of implode in front of your eyes.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think she got a payday in Russia. I believe places 1-5 get a relatively nominal sum of money. |AFAIK it cost her money to go. As for the rest, she's a grown woman and she's capable of making her own decisions.

Amei

Record Breaker
So you're saying, if the freeskate got cancelled like what happened in France a few years back, the said skater shouldn't get a bye?

That's a very different situation from the WD that happened this weekend - she admitted she's not in competitive shape, I believe she said she was 30-40%, so she knew going into the event that she wasn't going to be competitive. My only head-scratch on this was that she and her team knew she wasn't competitive then they should have toughed it out for the FS especially since from what's been said there's not another opportunity for her to compete prior to Nationals. It's similar to Zagitova with the backloading last year - good for her in knowing the rules and taking advantage of them as she's got a spot Nationals, but it's probably time for the rules to be adjusted... Was the rule really put in place to let skaters that aren't at a level of Nationals competitiveness get a bypass from qualifying on what they can do today because a couple years ago they were good?

andromache

Record Breaker
Alysa looks great. Her jumps are still small, but her skating skills and overall presentation have improved a lot since the last time we saw her. The speed is very good. She's still very rough around the edges, but she definitely should be ready to compete on the JGP next season.

I am excited to see how she fares under the spotlight of senior nationals. Can't wait to see her then.

evasorange

Final Flight
I’m really interested in the approach her team took in launching this comeback. It doesn’t make a lot of sense to me... but mostly I’m just so confused as to why it’s so important that Gracie makes it nationals this year? She herself says she’s not trained enough...How much can really change in two months? If it’s a four plan, surely it would be much less stressful experience for her to take it slow, and not rush into anything...her team needs to take notes from Daisuke Takahashi. At the very least, they have to know how bad the optics of all this look.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has *Gracie* ever said that she went to Rostelecom to get a bye for Nats?:confused2: Or are these conclusions from posters? I truly don't know, if she said that, could someone point it out to me?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has *Gracie* ever said that she went to Rostelecom to get a bye for Nats?:confused2: Or are these conclusions from posters? I truly don't know, if she said that, could someone point it out to me?

I think it’s just implied that since she wants to compete at Nationals (her words) that she likely used the GP event to bypass regionals and sectionals. Nothing wrong with it. I personally think she thought she would get thru the SP with far better result (above 50pts) and use it as a building block towards nationals. Things didn’t work out that way and now here we are.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it’s just implied that since she wants to compete at Nationals (her words) that she likely used the GP event to bypass regionals and sectionals. Nothing wrong with it. I personally think she thought she would get thru the SP with far better result (above 50pts) and use it as a building block towards nationals. Things didn’t work out that way and now here we are.

I'm not saying the conclusion can't be made, but I also wanted to make sure it wasn't something Gracie actually said. She's been bracingly honest since coming back, so if she was only using this as a "stepping stone", I think she would have said so. She was pretty clear that she knew she was diving into the deep end of the pool with her first comp back at a GP.

Wishing her the best for whatever she wants.:)

MarinHondas

Final Flight
About the Gracie thing, I agree with people who say the score/overall performance wasn’t what she expecting. I think people think she can only do doubles right now and she should have expected this. My guess is she has probably been doing (3ltz-2t, 3flip, 2a)Sp runthroughs maybe more often than not. She even did a 3flip right before her program: https://www.instagram.com/p/BqQdVLfnDO5/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=18ra56v0qvy7y
Jumping right back into a huge comp like this probably caused the short to happen how it did. I think if she had waited till next year and came up through summer comps, Senior b, regionals- sectionals- nationals, it could have gone a lot better. What’s done is done and I hope she doesn’t push herself to go to nats if she’s not ready. She needs more smaller comp experience I believe. She needs to take it slower. In my opinion. I don’t know Gracie. Gracie knows Gracie and I’m sure she will do what’s best for herself. I’ll just sit back and hope for the best and support her.

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
This whole matter of Gracie going to a Grand Prix event not mentally recuperated enough to perform up to expectation (hers' and, evidently USFS's) reminds me of Rachel Flatt who went to a major competition injured. IIRC she was fined for doing that. It also reminds me of Wagner's casual withdrawal from Skate America last season before the FS, citing injury. Going to or withdrawing from a major competition because you are (predictably) not in a condition to perform (i.e. physically or mentally healthy, which should be considered on a par, IMO) has implications for other people and not just yourself. This is not a casual thing!

IMO USFS at its champs camp should be emphasizing that you do not show up at a competition except 100% ready to go. It's not fair to most everyone else and it's frankly unsafe if you're not healthy.

Doesn't a physician have to sign a formal USFS form before a major competition that a skater is healthy? If not, it's about time they did.....

And, with or without a USFS form, I can't imagine that a physical and mental health team would have sanctioned Gracie's comeback at a major international competition. It seems very unlikely that a trip to a major and unnerving competition in Russia would be a recommendation from an ethical physician/therapist—Gracie must not have followed the advice of her health team?

andromache

Record Breaker
And, with or without a USFS form, I can't imagine that a physical and mental health team would have sanctioned Gracie's comeback at a major international competition. It seems very unlikely that a trip to a major and unnerving competition in Russia would be a recommendation from an ethical physician/therapist—Gracie must not have followed the advice of her health team?

This sort of speculation seems a little unnecessary. As far as we know, Gracie has received treatment for her depression/anxiety/eating disorder and is likely to continue to receive treatment as needed to take care of herself. I don't think someone who won't listen to her doctor(s) is as open about her struggles as she has been.