2018-2019 Grand Prix Final Ladies Free Skate | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 Grand Prix Final Ladies Free Skate

Roo87

Medalist
mad props to Sophia for being super consistent and competing in her first GPF! Don't think anyone saw that coming this season! *finger guns!*

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NBC is showing the ladies FS and Sofya just skated lights out!!! Wow...this girl is awesome and that FS was amazing!! Nice way to lead off :bow:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hehe ...I’m about to spam this thread with a lot of late to the party comments..

I’ll never tire of the way Satoko and her coach prep her to take the ice. It’s just so much intense love and motivation!!

Satoko is amazing and delivers a very sophisticated performance but is it wrong that I’d like to see her maybe push the envelope a little and try something a little different. I wouldn’t say this is the best program of hers but it gets the job done.

She’s blown me away before but it wasn’t quite on the level I’ve come to expect. Maybe I’m being unfair but that’s my initial reaction :confused2:

Tremendous respect for her though :)

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kaori has a very spiritual FS. It’s kind one note from start to finish but has some great moments.

Technically she’s proficient but her jump take offs look like a disaster is about to happen but she goes into the air and everything changes. Nice air position and the landings and extended glide offer up a lot for the judges to reward. I’m not sure I personally connected with it the entire time but good on her for going full send!

Good job Kaori!

Very high marks for her!

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alina and Carmen

Well...she almost oof’d right off the bat but she held it together and showed the poise of a seasoned veteran. Or second year senior...same thing right :devil:

People undersell this girl so frequently it’s made really start to pull for her. The connecting steps and choreography are dazzling and ooze with purpose and tie the program together well, this might be my favorite program from her but I’m a sucker for Carmen. Props to Danil for the music mashup! It’s very well done and not full of earworms.

Not her best effort but very respectable performance by any standard.

Am I the only watching this right now...I mean I know it’s not live but anyone here? I have no shame :laugh:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Liza Time!!

Johnny said Liza skates with a liberated sass this season :laugh2:

She really sells it a bit more with each jump! I’m Not sure if I’m a fan of this program or just of Liza but there is a big smile on my face. She’s a bit of a throwback in some of the worst ways but I think she does enough to out skate those things. The jumps are text book and that’s the most important thing so it puts her in a good position. No idea what this will score but I’m looking forward to the KnC :love:

ETA: I just love Mishin

ETAx2: Ooh...podium :yes2:

madison

Record Breaker
Liza Time!!

Johnny said Liza skates with a liberated sass this season :laugh2:

She really sells it a bit more with each jump! I’m Not sure if I’m a fan of this program or just of Liza but there is a big smile on my face. She’s a bit of a throwback in some of the worst ways but I think she does enough to out skate those things. The jumps are text book and that’s the most important thing so it puts her in s good position. No idea what this will score but I’m looking forward to the KnC :love:

ETA: I just love Mishin

ETAx2: Ooh...podium :yes2:

For me, Liza's free program was the performance of the competition. And the 3 lutz is to die for.
It's a shame she was underscored :(, but I'm very happy that she proved that a Russian lady of 22 years old can be relevant in the actual field.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rika:

Yikes...that 3a looked dangerous :slink:

This is a very moody program in mostly good ways. No real peaks and valleys but she also seemed a bit tense which may have affected that. Tough girl with an ability to capture and share soft vibes with a packed arena. That’s no small feat!

Her jumps seem noticeably whippy to me which isn’t something I usually take note of but for some reason I felt compelled to see. A little tilted like another skater I follow religiously so maybe I’m just recognizing something familiar. I think her SS will improve over time and really help her establish herself but outside of Satoko no one really blew me away here in that regard so I’m sure it doesn’t affect her scores much here today.

She should be proud of herself this year. She’s bringing it and keeping her fate in her own hands, I said at the beginning of the year that this might be my favorite program of the season. Not there yet but the season isn’t over ;)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Liza was too far behind in the short program to move up to second. I do think her LP score should have been higher. If that isn't superior performance/interpretation, what is?

Yeah, I dont know anything about skating but I look at the PCSs for Alina and Liza and just between the two, I thought Liza did much better at selling the program and the artisty....JMTC

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I think this is the correct result in the end. I would have loved Liza to land that triple axel cleanly but she still showed a lot of fight.

I remain sad about Satoko however.

I am a Satoko booster but I think after last season she should have taken the advice and reworked her jumping technique. I thought this season she was making an effort to make her jumps bigger and avoid the URs but I think here she slipped back a bit. :(
Habits are hard to break....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
my gawd .. where did Rika grow this consistency?
remember a few years ago her landings were so shaky????

She must be drinking the same water as Vanessa and Morgan! :biggrin:
You were wonderful, Rika! First year senior...wow.....I am lovin' the entire comp....
Best of luck at Worlds and nats, Rika!

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, I dont know anything about skating but I look at the PCSs for Alina and Liza and just between the two, I thought Liza did much better at selling the program and the artisty....JMTC

Liza is a bit more of a guilty pleasure IMO. I love the girl always but her choreography is not skated to the level of the top two here. It’s just not on the same level. I loved the performance though and think getting bronze here is more than most people thought she’d get. I’m just gonna enjoy that bronze and let the judges do their own thing :)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Liza is a bit more of a guilty pleasure IMO. I love the girl always but her choreography is not skated to the level of the top two here. It’s just not on the same level. I loved the performance though and think getting bronze here is more than most people thought she’d get. I’m just gonna enjoy that bronze and let the judges do their own thing :)

I just get the feeling she is not happy....new body, injury, nerves, seeing the up and coming Russian Ladies...I have no idea. I feel for her. Remember how we all were pulling for Pogo a few years ago? It will be very interesting to see what happens over the next two years or so to all the competitors at the GPF and JGPF. Now who wants to create a maxtrix ...no, a x-y graph...of each competitor and how they do through the next Olys....anyone? ;)

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just get the feeling she is not happy....new body, injury, nerves, seeing the up and coming Russian Ladies...I have no idea. I feel for her. Remember how we all were pulling for Pogo a few years ago? It will be very interesting to see what happens over the next two years or so to all the competitors at the GPF and JGPF. Now who wants to create a maxtrix ...no, a x-y graph...of each competitor and how they do through the next Olys....anyone? ;)

I’ve heard conflicting reports but originally heard she planned to retire after this season. That’s why this is so special to watch. I hope she gets another trip to WC or Euros :pray:

Mirunna

Record Breaker
For being a post Olympic season, the ladies are incredibly strong this season. To think an almost clean 8 triples LP with a 3A and all is only third! Amazing.

EdRoz

Record Breaker
aren't you the one that always says: "are you a retired judge? who are you to say that?" i'm asking you the same questions now :rofl:

My post was just for fun, trolling if you wish ( and I am sorry Rika to use your name).. for those GS judges , who constantly writes here that Alina overscored , all her jumps UR (even she did well) and criticize the real judges

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I kind of feel sorry for Satoko. TPs made her believe this season, her jumps are all right, and did not call her on URs. And now they went for it... Well, that's good, but it's understandable she's upset. Though I think her rivals during GP could be upset too, when she wasn't called on it, so... Maybe she should be happy she went to GPF instead, because some of her scores were kind of gifted. I don't agree with Rika & Alina having higher PCS than Satoko though. Satoko URed many jumps, but performance wise her skating was superb! Much better than the subpar performance form Alina... And Rika was great, but she also had a fall....

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
For everyone complaining about Alina and Carmen, didn't she herself say she wanted Carmen? She herself wants to skate this! So why is everyone complaining about Eteri giving her this program? I think you can see she enjoys it. And didn't Evgenia say that the skaters under Eteri had no choice about their programs? So now at least Alina's wishes are being taken into consideration. I think that's important for her to enjoy competing.

LynsJ

On the Ice
Liza [emoji7][emoji7] I wish she had scored higher but I’m so happy she got on the podium. Well deserved. Her comeback has been lovely to watch and her confidence seems to grow. Can’t wait to see nationals!
Well done rika! Talk about making your mark! Can’t wait to see her hopefully improve over the next few years!