2018-2019 Grand Prix Final Ladies Free Skate | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 Grand Prix Final Ladies Free Skate

Country
Norway
Caro maybe if she can stop falling down stairs. Loena might get it back together again too.

Sorry.. I misread what you wrote and thought you asked who could challenge the Russians.

Haha, yeah didn´t really understand at first, but made sense. Loena will be interesting for sure! Not sure about Caro. Euros is really not that far away now!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Ted is saying that Alina skated on a frozen foot after tripping on a tv cable. They were going to withdraw her but she wanted to skate.

lichi

sui holding a deep edge
On the Ice
Shocked. In a good way.

First, congrats Rika! :hap10:
Wonderful performance, she's really solidified her spot as a top runner here.
Japanese Nationals will be interesting. Rika's going to go in as the favorite, but Satoko's standing here is uncertain. Her PCS at this competition was a joke.

And Alina's PCS isn't something to be confused about- it's been happening for a while. In fact, I'm surprised that Rika got that close.

I'm happy that all the ladies delivered semi-clean performances, only one deduction from the entire field. :yahoo:

Never could've predicted at the beginning of the season. ;)

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Thank god they didn't give 1 point deduction to Kihira on the 3A, that would have been so unfair...

Somehow she magically stayed up on the blade. Most skaters who land with a << would have a splat. Not sure how she did that!

alinaharry

On the Ice
I am listening to Ted commentating the junior ladies free skate and he said according to someone (I missed who), Alina tripped on a television cable, she hurt her foot and they were going to withdraw her, but she didn't want to.

LaArdilla

Medalist
Ted has just mentioned Zagitova during junior ladies fs! Apparently she tripped over some cable just before her skate and was in a lot of pain...

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
I am listening to Ted commentating the junior ladies free skate and he said according to someone (I missed who), Alina tripped on a television cable and they were going to withdraw her, but she didn't want to.

Yeah, they iced her foot and she competed regardless.

Well, I hope she’s fine, but that explains some of the tension I felt on her face.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ted is saying that Alina skated on a frozen foot after tripping on a tv cable. They were going to withdraw her but she wanted to skate.

That would explain her shaky jumps for this competition. I hadn't heard this, thanks for posting it, ap!

Seruleane

Final Flight
Ted has just mentioned Zagitova during junior ladies fs! Apparently she tripped over some cable just before her skate and was in a lot of pain...

Seriously? Then even more reason for her to be proud of herself for keeping it together.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I’d be interested to see the slow mo on all Satoko’s jumps. I’m not saying I dispute any of the calls (I don’t) but it’d be interesting to see if she was on the edge or major.

SNAKSuyun

did it spark joy?
On the Ice
Country
China
I'm going to be sad when either Satoko or Wakaba won't make it to Worlds...

But now that I've gone through the thread - my absolute favorite program was Kaori's, even with that fall. Out of all the programs I've watched in the arena this week, that was the only one that made me want to cry (Rika's short was similarly powerful, but that was a different kind of emotion :p). The sheer height and distance of her jumps, the smoothness of her skating, the way she moves across the ice... that spiral sequence was a dream and I will stan her now until the end of the universe. Hoping for a clean version of the program at worlds :luv17:

Satoko's skating was exquisite, and I feel awful for her because it's obvious that she tries so, so hard to improve herself and if it was possible for her to get bigger jumps she'd have worked on and gotten them already. So now she's basically being punished for her own bodily limitations, which she can't control. Yes, yes, I get how this is basically how it works in sports, and I am a big fan of big jumpers myself (Kaori, Kaetlyn, Rika etc) but I can still feel bad.

Alina... she's talented and a beautiful skater, but I just still can't connect with her. I get frustrated with her elements sometimes (although this isn't limited to her) - if you're going to do an Ina Bauer, hold it. If you don't hold it, to me you really didn't do it at all. :( I want to see more Ina Bauers and spirals like Yuzuru's and Kaori's!

Liza... she lit up the stadium all right. Out of all the skaters I've seen she was the one who had a pop/rock star presence - she wasn't just on the stage, she owned it. She commanded worship and awe and seemed to really enjoy herself out there. So glad she's back after all these years.

Rika... what can I say, she's a queen. :agree: To me she has everything - well, okay, maybe she could have gone clean and that'd have been more world records, but I'm not going to complain. She came, she slayed me, she conquered the podium and the crowd. What else can you ask for?

Mikansei

Learning how to spin
On the Ice
Rika seems like a different skater this year, she's mentally stronger. Last year it looked like she would just fall apart after making a mistake. This year she can still keep it together even though she makes a mistake on the opening 3A's. Hopefully she will be able to show a performance like NHK trophy at the world championship in Japan.

Alina's jumps are not as effortless like last year. She looked a bit tense and awkward especially in the first minute. She kept it together well though. I don't think Carmen is the right vehicle for her, she's missing something. I would prefer her to try something different, but she's still so young so I hope she can try different genres later. Would be great to see her skate to something like Kostornaia's SP.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree! I would've loved to see Liza in second. Alina's performance deserved a bronze, not a silver.

Liza was too far behind in the short program to move up to second. I do think her LP score should have been higher. If that isn't superior performance/interpretation, what is?

rachno2

Record Breaker

Wow! That explains the tension. What a fighter.
I might disagree with her PCS, but I love Alina and admire her so much :)

Danny T

Medalist
Scoring aside, Alina really fought hard. When I saw the look on her face right before the music starts, I was like crap, please don't let this be Worlds. And it wasn't. The combo mistake was one of the first elements, but she managed to moved past it to hold on to the rest. That's the spirit of the girl adding the 3Lo to her second lutz in the Olympics.