2018 JPG Kaunas Cup Free Dance | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2018 JPG Kaunas Cup Free Dance

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Beautiful dance, but they look incredibly unthrilled with that silver medal. Wonder why? That's a great score, great placement, and they did beautifully.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Shpilband has some great junior teams in his ranks.

The improvements he made with Avonley and Vadym in the off-season really shows that Igor thrives on developing young teams.

Beautiful dance, but they look incredibly unthrilled with that silver medal. Wonder why? That's a great score, great placement, and they did beautifully.

I think they wanted to win. :) I personally think they should have won the FD.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
The last two dance pairs are now my favorites for the finals, gold will be decided between those two.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I think that's the second highest FD score of the season. They are contenders.

What an excellent event. Unique music choices, enthusiastic audience, great new discoveries, and stream stayed on the whole time :biggrin:.

zebobes

Final Flight

It shows that they are hungry for more, and I look forward to them getting even stronger.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Avonley NGUYEN / Vadym KOLESNIK USA
FD: "Demons" by Imagine Dragons, cover by Jasmine Thompson and Boyce Ave; "Experience" by Ludovico Einaudi; choreo by Igor Shpilband, Pasquale Camerlengo

lyrical movements

good speed into not touch step good spacing

unexpected entry to well done lift

Unique twizzles too

See Camerlengo's influence on Igor

lyrical ending

Beautiful. But I am not forgetting the Browns.

They should hold second with that. Ted loves it!! (So do I)

FD 98.44 2nd
Total 161.84 2nd overall
!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm interested to see what happens at the JGPF - because the top scores here were quite a bit higher than the last two events. Nicer judges/tech panel or are these teams actually going to score higher than the others?

ETA: I expect that they won't be this far ahead of the other top teams if they are all in one event. The question is, will they still be ahead (by a smaller margin)? Both were very good.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Beautiful. But I am not forgetting the Browns.

Neither am I.
Who wants to adopt them for a FF. Oona barely makes the age limit, LOL. :)

The both have fall birthdays, so they'll be 14 and 16 soon. :)

Last edited:

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I'm so excited to see what they come up with together! Igor by himself was getting stagnant, but this is the most exciting choreography I've seen from him in a while.

Also W/P worked with Camerlengo and Igor on choreography this summer, so excited to see what they did with them.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Protocols: Judges gave some level fours for the one foot step sequence, probably firsts we have seen on the circuit. Almost tied on TES between top two. Browns' spin got invalidated and they got music requirements violation.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The improvements he made with Avonley and Vadym in the off-season really shows that Igor thrives on developing young teams.

I think they wanted to win. :) I personally think they should have won the FD.

I do too think they should have won the FD. Especially since the tech score was almost equal. Nguyen and Kolesnik were far better portrayers of their music and better at expressing emotion.

So much Imagine Dragons in here!

I Loved this! It was so seamless -- I love that some of the moves just flowed into the next not much setup.

Yes...that was extraordinary.

Dang that score! I think that's the first 100+ FD score in juniors?

This year, under new scoring anyway. Either Parsons or McNamara / Carpenter might have done the trick once or twice.

Neither am I.
Who wants to adopt them for a FF. Oona barely makes the age limit, LOL. :)

The both have fall birthdays, so they'll be 14 and 16 soon. :)

Browns and Nguyen and Kolesnik both need Fan Fest adopters!

Protocols: Judges gave some level fours for the one foot step sequence, probably firsts we have seen on the circuit. Almost tied on TES between top two. Browns' spin got invalidated and they got music requirements violation.

Probably because it was all blues...Sad, because it was hugely powerful as all blues. I am still shaking.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Probably because it was all blues...Sad, because it was hugely powerful as all blues. I am still shaking.

I agree! Is there a rule regarding having to have a second rhythm in the FD?

I love that their coach is willing to have them do programs unique to THEM and trying to not limit them as siblings. And I agree, I love the Blues--- that is a ballsy to do 1.) as a young team and 2.) siblings where you could run into ick factor.

I love the power of the equals vibe they present -- especially with her doing the lifting.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, there has to be a change of tempo.

I do not know anything about Andrew Lawrik who is their coach and choreographer, except that the group is Skating Club of New York. He had done some unique stuff with the Browns, and I hope we will see more of them. I would love for there to be a good ice dance group here in the Northeast!

BTW Igor said in the TSL interview that he really prefers working with juniors, and it shows. In fact wasn't part of the Marina breakup was that Igor wanted more juniors and she did not? I thought maybe that was a fake, public reason...but maybe not ...

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I am happy Black cat white cat program won! I can't believe somebody did a program with that music. I love it. I love the hilarious movie. If you have a chance watch Black cat white cat in the original language.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes, there has to be a change of tempo.

I do not know anything about Andrew Lawrik who is their coach and choreographer, except that the group is Skating Club of New York. He had done some unique stuff with the Browns, and I hope we will see more of them. I would love for there to be a good ice dance group here in the Northeast!

BTW Igor said in the TSL interview that he really prefers working with juniors, and it shows. In fact wasn't part of the Marina breakup was that Igor wanted more juniors and she did not? I thought maybe that was a fake, public reason...but maybe not ...

Yes, that was one of the reasons for the breakup IIRC -- I never thought it was a fake reason because he always had a lot of young teams, i.e. Lewis/Bye, Pomerenko/Cairrera, etc. He always seem to go toe-to-toe with Wheaton.

As for Andrew Lavrik, I did a quick google search and saw that he tried out with Alison Reed at one point? But it seems the Browns are his first team? https://www.instagram.com/p/BXTNcXkFel9/?hl=en&taken-by=andrewlavrik

And on the Go Fund Me page for the Browns, they mention they train in Hackensack, N.J., so I'm guessing Lavrik was under the tutelage of the ID folks there.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ah ha. I wondered whether there was a typo in their bio.

So Lavrik, not Lawrik.

I started a Fan Fest for them.

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?75444-Oona-Brown-amp-Gage-Brown&p=2176167

They are certainly his first team of any consequence, and they were novices last year.

And @Ice Dance does not know him, except via the Browns, so even more likely this is his first team. And they list no previous coach in their bio, so he is The Man.

If he tried out with Alison Reed, he could be from any country in the world ;)

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
What I really appreciated today was a high contrast of programs - I think that it upped the enjoyment and kept interest while watching.
I see that Ushakova/Nekrasov went on more crazy storyline route with this music - the only thing that now irks me about this FD is too much clutter between movement, partnering and busy tempo of music, it is a bit Bregovic schizophrenia as program goes on. I look forward on how it will develop and if movement will get more refined; they have an attitude and sometimes erratic/exaggerated movement/gesture is an overkill, distraction to their skills, qualities. I actually would love to see them taking Bregovic music into more Gypsy attitude with that dynamism and exuberance.
Avonley and Vadym, wow, what a debut! I think that the program had perfect balance of lyricism and modern touch with that youthfulness and lightness over movement; it felt sincere and refreshing for me in this sea of 'holier than thou' contemporary creations. She is indeed a mini-Madison Chock, even from gestures and expression:), he is very solid and attentive partner. I like that the program is fairly simple and straightforward, that it sources energy and build-up from the music, that the movement is never exaggerated, but it is still expressive at the same time. And their RD was my fave from yesterday. They need more competition seasoning and polish overall, but boy, the future is bright!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I agree that Avonley and Vadim were wonderful. I would have had them first in the FD, especially since they had the higher base value, and their PCS and composition were superior to Ushakova/Nekrasov for me. Not that U/K were not good, they were, but N/K were better. They are a bright, new talent in US dance.