2018 Junior Grand Prix Final Men's Short Program | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2018 Junior Grand Prix Final Men's Short Program

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, Tomoki, you had improved, and now :sad21:

And yes that reminds me how much I miss Andrew T.:sad21:

lichi

sui holding a deep edge
On the Ice
Ouch on the jumps :(

I love his performance though, he has a great attitude too. Looks like a fun person :)

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
I find Petr extremely charming, but he did look quite juniorish next to the other top guys......maybe his short stature and young age is affecting my judgment? I think he'll rise in the FS, though.

I think he and Gogolev both have that issue. It’s pretty impossible to neutrally compare the performance of a young-looking 13 year old to a 17 year old who’s a foot taller and just takes up more physical space.

That being said, I think the SP is mostly avoiding mistakes and the free is, as always, the true random number generator of placement determination.

tabsy

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I mean sure, though i think he came in Vancouver to win and not for some bronze medal.

FS is going to advantage Stephen Gogolev as he will throw 2-3 quads and this panel will help him, maybe even with a fall.

It's a little disappointing cause it seems all set already.

Sure, I agree. But a JGPF Bronze is not just 'some' bronze medal. And it sets him up well for Nats and JWC. And Camden has had some iffy FS recently, as has Stephen. Who knows what might happen :drama:

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Tomoki, good job holding it together after that pop. Great spins! Better luck in the FS!

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Confession: it me. I cursed Hiwatashi by putting him third in my predictions.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So apparently it was a curse to do well in the Richmond SP the first time, and a blessing to do badly there, based on the reversed results tonight.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As someone who’s been watching junior men all year, it’s not like Petr was running away with the field; in fact Camden was a very close second in points.

That’s why I love the junior men, *no one* is a lock:)

frida80

Record Breaker
So apparently it was a curse to do well in the Richmond SP the first time, and a blessing to do badly there, based on the reversed results tonight.

Actually it's true. It's all about mind set. Stephen came into the Richmond as the favorite and bombed badly. Now that he has a unexpected chance at the JGPF, he's wants redemption. On the other hand, if you do well unexpectedly and have to now skate with expectations it tends to mess with your mind and performance.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Ooh, the men did pretty well! Except for Tomoki Hiwatashi no pops, and although there were some waxels no falls! I was pleasantly surprised there.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I must admit, I enjoyed that comp and looking forward to FS. I hope Petr and Stephen stay on the podium.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Sad that Tomoki couldn't perform as well as before, but hopefully he can rally and have a good time tomorrow ;)

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
what a surprising good competition! the level was high even with some pops and mistakes. Gumennik was enjoyable and consistent as usual, no doubt he'll end up on the podium; Gogolev (did he grow up?) came to redeem himself in front of the home crowd and don't waste the chance he get and manage to do it in style, with a very solid and enjoyable performance and a well deserved pb. Pulkinen wasn't clean but stayed on his feet, i think he was a little overscored but i predicted the gold for him, so i'm good with it :biggrin: