2018 NHK Pairs Short Program | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2018 NHK Pairs Short Program

GGFan

Record Breaker
I'm really struggling with pairs this year. This discipline has had the toughest time under the IJS. It can be really rough to watch even A- and B+ teams in pairs.

What saved things for me is that the top teams for the past two years transcended the rules. I'm really missing them and even D/R (who were always solid on their elements).

All of that to say I'm not even excited to watch the videos on YouTube and that saddens me.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'm watching recap of Pairs. And I love Chinese Pairs so much :love: Seriously, Chinese Fed makes lots of questionable decisions, but they do know how to make their couples shine! P/J are so great this season again!

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Caught up with the pairs, my thoughts:

- Peng/Jin has a lovely SP, and boy they were goooood here. They need to go to finals.

- The Knierims are not having the greatest of SBS jumps this season so far. But then, a lovely throw flip. Still not a fan of the program though, and I just can't with the costumes :noshake:

- Unsurprisingly Zabiako/Enbert are in 1st place. Still not a fan of the program, but better than last week.

- This is the first time I've seen Suzaki/Kihara with a (well, relatively) clean performance, so kudos to that.

- I last saw Lu/Mitrofanov at US Classic, and I think they did better here (without the altitude trying to kill everyone and all). I like the program, shame that the tech isn't quite there yet.

- I usually avoid talking about one skater being better/worse than their partner, but honestly, Kirsten Moore-Towers felt like the better one even with the wobbly jumps. That twist... Still, lovely SBS spins.

- Can anybody find a video of Kayne/O'Shea that is not blocked? I want to see how they did.

gold12345

Medalist
The Knierims just need to hit everything at the same time, because they have the element quality, and the scores they're getting with mistakes show they can be up there with the top teams in this event with a cleaner skate. Their LP suits them more, but the judges are also receptive of this unique and modern SP. And Chris looks far more secure with the 3S this season. Alexa is usually fine with hers. I recall her starting the previous quadrennium in a bit of a SP salchow funk that soon disappeared and I wonder if she's doing sort of the same thing here for whatever reason. Their throw 3F was superb, best one I've seen from them since the Olympics.

Of course, they deserve extra patience right now, as they are testing out yet another new coaching arrangement that is apparently just a few days old. I'm trying to think of another skater that switched coaches and moved to an entirely different location in the middle of their GP events and I can't think of any. It must be a weird situation. I'm curious how they work with Todd Sand. He seems pretty mellow.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Caught up with the pairs, my thoughts:

- Peng/Jin has a lovely SP, and boy they were goooood here. They need to go to finals.

- The Knierims are not having the greatest of SBS jumps this season so far. But then, a lovely throw flip. Still not a fan of the program though, and I just can't with the costumes :noshake:

- Unsurprisingly Zabiako/Enbert are in 1st place. Still not a fan of the program, but better than last week.

- This is the first time I've seen Suzaki/Kihara with a (well, relatively) clean performance, so kudos to that.

- I last saw Lu/Mitrofanov at US Classic, and I think they did better here (without the altitude trying to kill everyone and all). I like the program, shame that the tech isn't quite there yet.

- I usually avoid talking about one skater being better/worse than their partner, but honestly, Kirsten Moore-Towers felt like the better one even with the wobbly jumps. That twist... Still, lovely SBS spins.

- Can anybody find a video of Kayne/O'Shea that is not blocked? I want to see how they did.

Here you are, if you hurry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0bO8hrDelU

Level 4 sbs spin and step, before review
Landed everything
Need more speed and a harder throw, and a much better twist.

Tarah needs to get her head lower in the back outside death spiral, but it did not get down levelled at first look.

After review, the back outside death spiral got down levelled to basic, and the 3S called for UR. Last three elements (spin, step, lift) all still got level 4 and good GOE. Were they a bit nervous/cautious in the first half of the program? I thought so.

Keep improving kids!! You have the stuff!

Sappenfield is not great, but her kids can generally learn a good 3 twist.

BTW, given that Lu is 16, I am hoping she and Mitrofanov really improve. This event was a good start, despite their low placing. The four lower ranked teams all skated as well as they could.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm really struggling with pairs this year. This discipline has had the toughest time under the IJS.

And it got worse this year; if I'm not mistaken, the LP is 30 seconds shorter. I really dislike watching when it seems like I'm only watching -- and they're only skating -- element to element. Well, I still watch ... but I'm bored.

I also am unhappy when I see high scores for lifts where things are jerky. I miss G&G so much. Everything quality, and only smooth motions.

What saved things for me is that the top teams for the past two years transcended the rules.

Agree. Especially Aljona and Bruno. I think that transcending the rules should be the goal of every pair. Hm. maybe every skater.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
BTW, given that Lu is 16, I am hoping she and Mitrofanov really improve. This event was a good start, despite their low placing.

I absolutely adore everything about Mischa's presentation. His smiles, his joy, the way he presents her, and his expansive arms. I really like this pair. I hope someone is paying attention to bringing Audrey's expression up a little closer to his. she's several years younger, I think they'll progress.

gold12345

Medalist
And it got worse this year; if I'm not mistaken, the LP is 30 seconds shorter. I really dislike watching when it seems like I'm only watching -- and they're only skating -- element to element. Well, I still watch ... but I'm bored.

I also am unhappy when I see high scores for lifts where things are jerky. I miss G&G so much. Everything quality, and only smooth motions.

The rules have obviously changed so much since G/G. I'm sorry that high level pairs doesn't give you real enjoyment, I love to watch it. So far I don't really mind the LP being 30 seconds shorter (and the skaters don't seem to mind either). The SBS spin took up most of those 30 sec I think. Do I wish there was a little more time for in-betweens? Sure, but that is the case for every discipline. I think the reality of skating is that for it to remain a sport that appears in the Olympics and whatnot, it really has to be primarily technically based with a detailed judging system, hence we have IJS. Beauty and interest doesn't just come from artistry, there's plenty of beauty in the technical elements themselves. Also in pairs, I have a lot of appreciation for matching lines, the connection, the speed, the stroking... it doesn't have to be during choreo, it can just be while going from element to element. A lot of people like other disciplines more but I'm really into pairs.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I absolutely adore everything about Mischa's presentation. His smiles, his joy, the way he presents her, and his expansive arms. I really like this pair. I hope someone is paying attention to bringing Audrey's expression up a little closer to his. she's several years younger, I think they'll progress.

I'll second this. My eyes were drawn to him the whole time. He reaches out, grabs your attention, and holds it. I like him very much.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NHK Trophy is so bad for me, time-zone wise.

Short programs took place during work, long programs while I sleep. Oh well!

Thankfully I can catch the replays on NBC Gold.

Pretty much agree with the standings so far, but I do believe I would flip the positions of Kayne/O'Shea and Scimeca-Knierim/Knierim. SK/K had some impressive moves, but the fall on the sbs and the verkakte spin was really distracting. I really enjoyed K/O's program, I hope they can make a splash this season.

gold12345

Medalist
NHK Trophy is so bad for me, time-zone wise.

Short programs took place during work, long programs while I sleep. Oh well!

Thankfully I can catch the replays on NBC Gold.

Pretty much agree with the standings so far, but I do believe I would flip the positions of Kayne/O'Shea and Scimeca-Knierim/Knierim. SK/K had some impressive moves, but the fall on the sbs and the verkakte spin was really distracting. I really enjoyed K/O's program, I hope they can make a splash this season.

Kayne/O'Shea stayed on their feet, but they have some built-in issues with their elements that add up and are costly. The back outside death spiral has long been a weak element for them and they hardly get any points on it. They have a weaker triple twist than most other pairs. It's quite low and misses a level when he uses his shoulder to aid in the catch. They also have smaller throws than most of their competitors. And all those things are a given before they even step onto the ice. Then today that had an unusual mistake where O'Shea underrotated his 3S, plus the hand down on the throw (they also need a more difficult throw). And their speed isn't the best. This is often why their SP scores end up in the 50s even if they don't fall. They've only broken 60 points in the SP once or twice in their entire career so far.