2018 Olympic Figure Skating Mens FS | Page 145 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Mens FS

purpledream

On the Ice
How did NBC not have him on hand for this potential moment?

Not taking away anything from Yuzu, but part of me is saying he was LUCKY Nathan Chen didn't have a decent short. Even with his two masterful programs here that he delivered, it won't hold up against Nathan had he skated his best short. So technically he benefited from Nathan's mishaps in the short. Had it went down toe to toe both going clean in both segments of the competition, Nathan will be the clear winner.

But mad respect for Hanyu regardless! He's definitely one of the greats, I have to admit. CONGRATS!

I agree to that. He was lucky Nathan didn’t skate well in the short. (Or maybe Yuzus luck of skating just before Nathan did just that to rattle Nathan’s nerves ... )

But like all things there can be so many variables to factor in. If Nathan led in short could he keep it in for the long?

In all case it’s a crazy ride, but Yuzu was deserving of the gold - and he did what he wanted which was a fairly cleanish skate. No calls; some bumbles yes and fighting to hold on landings. But he wanted to avoid a splatfest and he did just that! So kudos to our 2nd OGM champion and he can go up in the skating hall of fame w Dick Button :)

purpledream

On the Ice
Also I'm looking at the score breakdown from the judges: skatingscores.com/2018/oly/men/long/tss/

The USA judge I am looking at you with shade. Chen - 1, Uno - 2, Javi - 3, Vincent - 4, Hanyu - 5, Boyang - 6

Hanyu 5th? Really?!

But thanks for putting shoma so high up there at 2nd. Much appreciated :)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I like Shoma for being a cute boy and all that, but he was not better than Javi and Boyang here.

How was Shoma not better than Boyang? He has the better skating quality and they did pretty much equal on the jumps.

Javier should have won Silver though, Shoma's 4Loop was underrotated but not called.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
and I don't know why it's clean Chen vs clean Hanyu..

clean Fernandez at this point would beat clean Chen too. Don't take me wrong. Nathan has amazing talent but he is not overall on par with Hanyu and Fernandez yet

GGFan

Record Breaker
Yuzuru: The greatest of all time.
Shoma: A very poor man's Daisuke Takahashi, his performances have always felt exhausting to me, but he deserves his place on the podium and in the pantheon of Japanese greats.

It's late and drinks have been flowing but :rofl: at this. I love Shoma but a part of me gets what you mean. Talk about not letting someone enjoy their Olympic triumph.:devil: :laugh2: I love GS for these kinds of reality checks. We do not all need to agree :thank:

Yuzuru

Rinkside
Not taking away anything from Yuzu, but part of me is saying he was LUCKY Nathan Chen didn't have a decent short. Even with his two masterful programs here that he delivered, it won't hold up against Nathan had he skated his best short. So technically he benefited from Nathan's mishaps in the short. Had it went down toe to toe both going clean in both segments of the competition, Nathan will be the clear winner.

But mad respect for Hanyu regardless! He's definitely one of the greats, I have to admit. CONGRATS!

3-quad SLAYMEI was 220 points....

OniBan

Final Flight
I love Nathan’s spunk and guts going for 6 quads but his landings didn’t have any flow out either and he watered down all the TR and it still got loads of GOEs. So why not for Shoma? The value of a GOE is now losing its validity fast as they are issued out like treats on Halloween. Jin Boyang and Yuzu deserved better GOEs on jumps IMO.

Truth

Ophelia

Record Breaker

clean Fernandez at this point would beat clean Chen too. Don't take me wrong. Nathan has amazing talent but he is not overall on par with Hanyu and Fernandez yet

'Cause the Chen hype train is still going strong and now his fans are trying to write alternate universe scenarios.

purpledream

On the Ice

Ahhhh Javier; you’re a superhero for Spain.
Can he bring back that routine for the Olympics pretty please? Loving those Spanish colours

tzazu

Medalist
Well the father's name traditionally goes last...but I guess you could pick either?

I know the two last name thing because the lady I work for is from Peru. Not sure about the rest LOL

Nope, in Spain the father's name goes first. Til recently, this was the only option. Now parents can choose which one goes first, but the more usual follows being father's name first. I don't know how it goes in Peru, though

ChefAnt

Rinkside

Who is to say that Nathan Chen can perform under pressure? Not taking away from his free skate, that was a master class of jumping but he had no pressure anymore on him. The medal was almost gone. And he skated end to end setting up for all his quad and sacrificing all his choreography. Half of being a champion is being able to perform under pressure and not what your ability is. There are alot of what ifs in Olympic competition. Ask Sasha Cohen in 2006. An olympic champion also needs to be able to rise to the occasion. That's why skaters like Hanyu and Kim are the champions they are because they were able to rise above the pressure. You can't say they have any less media coverage than Nathan Chen. Nathan Chen have alot to learn. I wish him the best but I also hope he develops his PCS and skating skills. Chen to me is still just a jumping bean. He doesn't create moments that captivates the audiences. We'll see in four years. Hope Chen stays healthy and develops. Also a shout out to Vincent Zhou, who I think actually has more potential than Chen.