2018 Olympic Figure Skating Mens FS | Page 148 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Mens FS

bixby

Final Flight
ITA with you. There is no what ifs for me. Nathan has proven time and time again that he can NOT deliver under tremendous pressure. I have no doubt he would not have skated as well as he did in LP, had he been in the final group.

How can you be so sure??? You got to be kidding me. You don't have a crystal ball to be so sure of that. Just being at the Olympics is not enough tremendous pressure to you? Imagine what the media will be talking about him if he didn't deliver that winning skate tonight.

Yes, you might think the pressure is all OFF because he's not in the last group. But I beg to differ, he has the tremendous pressure still to prove to himself and the whole world that he's not a fluke. And he just beat the heck out of everyone tonight in this segment of the competition including the Olympic champ. That's a FACT Jack!

HE IS THE MASTER OF THE QUADS. Haters might not like it, but that's what on the record book now.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I just did a little mental exercise and this ranks in my top three (1988, 2002) men's Olympic free programs in the last 30 years. There were great skates and an amazing podium!! :hap57:

2014: No words needed

2010: In this US v. Russia war I'm gonna have to go with Japan, Switzerland, or Canada. I'm really not into jack of all trades (master of none) gold medalists.

2006: Yes, my boys Stephane and Jeff landed on the podium, but those performances :noshake:

2002: The top three all brought it in terms of content. I may be biased but Yagudin was everything for me that year. :luv17:

1998: I love Kulik but partly for his unfulfilled potential. He had better programs. The performances in general were just ok. Oh and I was sad for Todd.

1994: All of my favorites (and also superior skaters) had bombed the free so I loved the redemption angle. Kurt :love: But I still had to live with a podium of less talented skaters.

1992: Love Viktor but it was a flawed skate. Paul had a moment but also a flawed skate. The performances were not amazing in general.

1988: Battle of the Brians and those two performances were enough to make it amazing for me. I was also much younger so there are nostalgic reasons. Viktor winning bronze was icing on the cake.

ks777

Record Breaker
The performances were spectacular today ( my hands were hurting so much for clapping so hard), but why did the judges have to ruin it by unfair judging in the end :rolleye:

There is no word for the admiration that I have for Yuzuru! I guess it's some kind of orgasm as I get goosebumps from watching him skate. Just big Congratulations!

I was already in tears for Javi after his performance for his well-deserved Olympic medal, but now I cry more after seeing the protocols for the silver that he lost :(

I also really hope the judges will reward Boyang and give him what he deserves in Beijing if he can keep it up for another 4 years!

So proud of Nathan and Vincent's superhuman quads, and I'm actually kind of relieved that Nathan probably would not just leave skating and go to Harvard, as he might had he won the gold, since there is still an unachieved dream!

After Patrick won the team gold, I really had no expectation for him and was just staring at his foot for his amazing skating skills that probably won't be seen in years, but he gave us such a nice surprise for landing 2 3As!

My heart goes to Dima Aliev for staying so strong after the bad fall and Adam Rippon for just being Adam!

I'm also super happy for my little wild "black/white wolf" Daniel Samohin for landing four quads (SP + LP) and not having any disastrous falls!

There was no unfair judging. Just because your favorites didn't win or medal doesn't mean it was unfair.

sam123

On the Ice
Because saying that you love everyone equally is a lie, which cheapens everything else you say.

They will get their medals tonight.

No no, it wasn't about loving. There were some comments which were saying that Yuzuru's FP was boring and junior-ish, Nathan was all about quads and then another where Mikhail is just a splat fest. I understand about not liking everyone (even I didn't some of the programs) but those nasty comments were just uncalled for. They all worked hard and people just belittled them as though they deserved the insults

eaglehelang

Final Flight
How can you be so sure??? You got to be kidding me. You don't have a crystal ball to be so sure of that. Just being at the Olympics is not enough tremendous pressure to you? Imagine what the media will be talking about him if he didn't deliver that winning skate tonight.

Yes, you might think the pressure is all OFF because he's not in the last group. But I beg to differ, he has the tremendous pressure still to prove to himself and the whole world that he's not a fluke. And he just beat the heck out of everyone tonight in this segment of the competition including the Olympic champ. That's a FACT Jack!

HE IS THE MASTER OF THE QUADS. Haters might not like it, but that's what on the record book now.

Face it, Nathan didnt medal in the individual. He may be King of quads but he didnt medal, here or 2017 worlds.

He didnt medal at 2017 Worlds after getting 2nd at 2016 GP finals. At the moment, Nathan hasnt got enough mental strength to withstand the pressure of major tournaments, ie Worlds, Olympics. We saw this coming miles away in this forum.
Key phrase : at the moment. As Nathan gets more matured, hopefully he will have more mental toughness.

Why do you think the top 4 finishers are : reigning OG champ, current World champ, former world champ and current world medalists? Cos they've been on that podium, they know what it takes.

Nathan will too one day

Oh please stop it. It was annoying enough to put all these world medalists aside and prop Nathan as only Yuzuru's rival before the completion started. But now and after what happened, bringing all theses ifs and maybes is soooooooo strange. Accept the fact, kid is good but he needs to develop to be at the world podium level, as simple as that.

joanne129

Rinkside
I feel so happy for yuzuru. What a difficult journey to claim the title again. He is really the greatest of all time!
However, i cant believe shoma won silver with that performance, definutely overscored. Javier is robbed.

Barb

Record Breaker
I hate how Ashley always criticizes Russian ladies skaters and Boyang but she says nothing negative about Nathan when he is basically only jump after jump. I mean, I am glad that he got his redemption, and he is soo young, but there is not much besides jumps.

bixby

Final Flight
Um...Hanyu is also coming off an injury and only had 2 weeks to train quads, so mathematically Hanyu still has an advantage over Nathan given Hanyu's PBs. Hanyu also had a 5-quad layout planned and diluted it to 4-quad given his SP lead.

But keep trying to write Nathan into a maybe-champion.

Not trying to make Nathan a maybe-champion! Not arguing either, just citing that scenario.

FACT: Hanyu never landed 5 quads in a program. Has he? Nathan did it multiple times. Hence, a scenario.

But don't you worry, not bitter with the result. Very satisfied with the outcome and the level of skating tonight was spectacular! Not like 4 years ago.

Congrats to the men for delivering a strong night of skating.

The scoring... is what it is, and always will be, but they sure delivered everything possible. I agree with the top 4, though I would have swapped Javi and Shoma.

jiawen2016

On the Ice
There was no unfair judging. Just because your favorites didn't win or medal doesn't mean it was unfair.

I did not want to be that explicit. But Shoma's 4L (so as some of his other jumps) was under-rotated but was not called on the protocol. That along would have made the difference...

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Oh please stop it. It was annoying enough to put all these world medalists aside and prop Nathan as only Yuzuru's rival before the completion started. But now and after what happened, bringing all theses ifs and maybes is soooooooo strange. Accept the fact, kid is good but he needs to develop to be at the world podium level, as simple as that.

I think that is what makes a difference between a contender and a champion at the end of the day, the control and making the ability into reality consistently. As I heard many times, one cannot win title by SP, but sure can lose it by it. Hype and paper content don't jump themselves.