2018 Skate Canada Ladies Short Program | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2018 Skate Canada Ladies Short Program

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Odd thing to say about a mother.

You had to be there. We turned around and saw three nice looking young women behind us during practice and at least 2 were forum lurkers but they all were very nice and friendly to talk with. PaulE got up and went around to Starr's mom, (I was ignorant at the time of this fact) and talked with her. Later, he told me who she was. She looked so young and a classy dresser and could have been a fashion model....I didnt say anything to Paul but HE remarked about the same thing to me later. (Paul, correct me if I am wrong)

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Wow! What an interesting event! For better or for worse! [emoji23]

I was surprised by Starr Andrews, I think this was the best I’ve ever seen her skate.

That girl who skated to Back to Black... Just no. I can’t understand why people think that’s a happy song. There should be no smiling with that music. Apart from that, it was a good skate for the home crowd!

Daria was... disastrous. Not sure what’s going on, maybe she’s growing or is injured? She was way better just last season! The choreography is not helping. Also, isn’t it too soon to be skating to Skyfall when Wakababy just OWNED that music last season? [emoji23] Specially when the cuts are that bad!

Mako’s music is so... terrible. But she’s too cute! And that 3Lz+3T?! Really beautiful!

Yura’s program is a nope for me! How old is she? Everything looked juniorish.

Mariah was pretty great! Not technically brilliant but that music... Love me some Celine Dion!!! The choreo is very simple but she performs it well so it works for her.

Lizaaaaaaaa! Great 3A! Great 3Lz! Great combo! And that’s it for me, unfortunately. She has a certain sass to her but it’s not enough to cover the lack of choreography. But technically, wooooow! And just the fact that she came back and she’s slaying like that!!! Really amazing skater! [emoji122]

Evgenia was what I was expecting but didn’t want to expect. I wanted to believe she was going to skate surprisingly perfectly. But nope! That was kind of tough to watch. I could see from the beginning she was a bit nervous, at least it looked like that. And that music requires constant emoting and she sometimes forget to interpret the song to focus on what she’s doing. I don’t know, it looked a bit tentative and as if she was thinking the whole time. And with the fluke on the flip the performance was just not great. But this was a good effort and I’m sure she’ll come back stronger tomorrow. This is a really tough period for her and I’m not expecting everything to be perfect, just to see some improvement like the 2A and overall artistic expression, that’s already something to be proud of, despite the numbers. But of course the pressure is there. I wish her good luck! And this still not lost, ice is slippery! She could grab a medal here, probably not a gold but who knows!

And Wakaba came through, yay!!!! The door was open! I really like this program and the dress! Looooooooove the dress! This program is original and suits her well. But it really needs some follow-up. After that first spin the choreography is totally empty and even slow. Wakaba can do much better than that! We know how she can sell a program but she’s not doing that here. The best part is the stsq, that’s when she shows how fun this program can be, but she needs that energy from the first beat to the last. Of course, quick reminder: she does have an injury on her foot and she might not be feeling too well. Who knows what these skaters are going through? Anyway, I was really happy with her skate and she looked happy too. I think this was the best she skated this SP so far, good for her!

Overall, exciting event! I can’t wait to watch the unexpected results of tomorrow! Anything could happen!

Oh, just noticed I completely forgot Tursynbaeva! [emoji23] Sorry but she was kind of forgettable to me. Kind of tired of that music, the choreo isn’t very original, jumps were alright, spins ok, just an ok skate. I wish her a better skate tomorrow!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Oh no :sad21: the combo. No points. That's... I hate to say impossible, but impossible? to come back from tomorrow in terms of medaling and GPF?

But everything else was SO improved. She looks so free and happy and I love it.

The sun will come out...tomarrow!

bennorii

On the Ice
I don't see why Alicia can't be the No. 1 Canadian lady if Gabby takes the season off. Go for gold!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
SBS has pairs and men live.

Huh I couldn't seem to find it when I went to the On Demand site, I must have typed the wrong thing in the search box.

I don't mind SBS man too much in general, but he does talk during the skating which can be distracting!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Huh I couldn't seem to find it when I went to the On Demand site, I must have typed the wrong thing in the search box.

I don't mind SBS man too much in general, but he does talk during the skating which can be distracting!

Are you using the app? I find it much better quality if I cast from the app to my TV. It's under Programs>Sport on the app.

frida80

Record Breaker
You had to be there. We turned around and saw three nice looking young women behind us during practice and at least 2 were forum lurkers but they all were very nice and friendly to talk with. PaulE got up and went around to Starr's mom, (I was ignorant at the time of this fact) and talked with her. Later, he told me who she was. She looked so young and a classy dresser and could have been a fashion model....I didnt say anything to Paul but HE remarked about the same thing to me later. (Paul, correct me if I am wrong)

I guess I would have to be there. Maybe there are some pics floating around.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Are you using the app? I find it much better quality if I cast from the app to my TV. It's under Programs>Sport on the app.

I wasn't actually, thanks for the tip! I'll try it tomorrow, although I'll probably miss most of the men. But I'll be prepared for next GP :)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Seeing Zhenya put up lower scores than Serafima is crazy...I’m shook :dbana:

I’m on a search for Mariah’s video. Man JGP is so much easier to follow. Videos are uploaded right to the ISU’s JGP page in HD within minutes. No drama necessary weeding out low quality videos and Ted keeps it classy!!.

Danny T

Medalist
Just came back from lunch, and amidst the Russian angst, I actually forgot :)shame:): MAKO IN THIRD! I'm so happy, her jumps are on fire today, especially lutz was phenomenal. Go Mako!! :cheer2:

frida80

Record Breaker
Seeing Zhenya put up lower scores than Serafima is crazy...I’m shook :dbana:

I’m on a search for Mariah’s video. Man JGP is so much easier to follow. Videos are uploaded right to the ISU’s JGP page in HD within minutes. No drama necessary weeding out low quality videos and Ted keeps it classy!!.

Sooooo true. Why can't Ted do the entire GP? Ah Yes. Broadcast right.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Wakaba, stop doing the flip in SP! you have a beautiful loop and it's not like you're inconsistent at it! You landed 100% of your 3lo last season! Stop hurting your score!!!!

Liza, that was a way to skate like a boss!

Yay Mako!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Liza's 3A has great height but not a lot of distance - it almost goes straight up and down, so some judges may not give her that bullet. Her prolonged entry may affect whether or not judges ding her for poor takeoff/landing. They may also deduct for lack of effortlessness. It has no creative entry, the jump is not musical. So ultimately, like everything else, it's highly subjective. IMO +1 is appropriate here

I thought the jump was totally effortless. There was a delayed reaction from the audience because it seemed so easy it must have been a double. I don't really see what more anyone could expect from a ladies triple axel.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I can see judges give a score close to 150 to Medvedeva for a clean skate. Everyone above her atm don't have that potential scoring. If she's clean, she can be 2nd at least.

I hope Lil bet will do better in free skate. Usually the short is her strongest program, in this competition, it have to be the free.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Woke up, checked results.... WHAT HAPPENED?!

Re-watched only Liza, because I am living for Mishin's reactions, what a Queen, bossing around with 3A like that! Mishin approves, them sharing same level of coolness is pretty awesome:)

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I thought the jump was totally effortless. There was a delayed reaction from the audience because it seemed so easy it must have been a double. I don't really see what more anyone could expect from a ladies triple axel.

Heck yeah to this! I usually try to count the revolutions of jumps when skater's do them, but I missed out on that one and when the big cheer came from the crowd I realised it must have been a triple and almost couldn't believe it! She's been stepping out of 3As so far this season and that landing was so solid!

I still can't believe someone would give it a -1 honestly.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh my... I’ve always had a little crush on Mariah but have I now fallen hopelessly in love? What a performance!! She looks so confident. Go Mariah!!

Low-key : Am I the only one getting similar vibes from this Celine Dion song as THIS song from the Never Ending Story :biggrin: