2018 Skate Canada Ladies Short Program | Page 41 | Golden Skate

2018 Skate Canada Ladies Short Program

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Woke up, checked results.... WHAT HAPPENED?!

Med started off awesomely, but stepped out of her flip and couldn't do the combo so got zero points! (Which seems kinda harsh - I forgot that in SP you don't get a +COMBO) :( But all is not lost, there's not much between 7th and 2nd so fingers crossed that Med can make up some big points tomorrow!

Re-watched only Liza, because I am living for Mishin's reactions, what a Queen, bossing around with 3A like that! Mishin approves, them sharing same level of coolness is pretty awesome:)

Mishin is a boss and coaching goals! He's just awesome. Always look forward to seeing him at competitions.

Trewyn

Medalist
Oh that was underwhelming after watching the Men’s. The only “performance” that stood out for me was Mariah’s and she really suffered from that underrotation. Though I was also really impressed by Elizaveta’s no-nonsense approach, slaying with the triple axel. I hope she rocks at Russian Nationals.

Too bad about Mako’s really weird music because she seems like a performer and had the technical goods to bring to the table. I’ve never watched her before and am curious about her LP.

I had much higher expectations from Wakaba (artistically) and Evgenia (overall).

Tomorrow is another day?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Med started off awesomely, but stepped out of her flip and couldn't do the combo so got zero points! (Which seems kinda harsh - I forgot that in SP you don't get a +COMBO) :( But all is not lost, there's not much between 7th and 2nd so fingers crossed that Med can make up some big points tomorrow!

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1819/gpcan2018/gpcan2018_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf

She got 3F<< + Combo, which means 70 percent of basically a 2F, 1.98 points. She ended up with 1.09 after - GOE

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1819/gpcan2018/gpcan2018_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf

She got 3F<< + Combo, which means 70 percent of basically a 2F, 1.98 points. She ended up with 1.09 after - GOE

Oh, well that's a relief...kind of, at the time the box said zero the whole time until she went to her next element so I thought she got nothing at all.

Still, what a bummer! I'm glad she doesn't seem to be hurt because when they were replaying it in the KnC when she landed it really awkwardly! Luckily she doesn't have weak ankles!

I should read those protocols...although I can never spot an underrotation so I feel like it'd just be going "Wha?" the whole time. :laugh:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So from my best deduction the type of program Zhenya is trying to show us is that of what Mariah Bell gave us tonight. I wouldn’t say Zhenya is there yet and to my perception still has a way to go. I’m even going to say Mariah knocked it out of the park while Zhenya is still feeling it out. Naturally Mariah got lower PCS of the two :whack: That’s so ISU :laugh:

Nika09

On the Ice
It was a day when all of the predictions seems...start to going to the trash.

But what a character Tuktamysheva has? She didn't give up she everyone crossed her out, just keep training and nailed that 3A. This proves its never too late for changes and true champions never fall! I'm amazed by her.

Also congrats Higuchi with clean performance, in spite of all worries about her condition. Even though I don't Wakaba's her program this season.

TheBallerina

#teamtutberidze
Record Breaker
Just woke up and watched the ladies competition...My random thoughts about the SP:

I will start with Mako Yamashita, because I think I've found my favourite japanese skater :biggrin: I liked her before during JGP (that smile is unforgettable :biggrin:) and also at Lombardia, but this performance really convinced me. Yup, not the best music choice, but she is so positive, sending such a positive vibe and she also has lots of courage to present such a difficult program, with many transitions, skating in force, with speed, this is a style that I personally like and I applaud her for that. :clap:

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva was on fire, amazing 3A (at last no extra-rotation, just clean, smooth landing). She's totally back in business and I love seeing Papa Mishin, he is like a Teddy Bear for me, both his girls are well prepared for this start of the season so nice job, team Mishin. :luv17: But the choreo is very empty, she has the jumps back so it's time to add some more to the choreography because she deserves a better program.

So happy to see Wakaba smiling again! I hope she is feeling better now, because she clearly performed better! At first I did not like her program choice, now it's still not my favourite, but going clean made me look at it in a different perspective: it was full of energy and joy and I found it more pleasant to watch. But again, like in Tukt's case...please, add more to the choreo, it's kinda empty, too.

Mariah really sold that performance, I don't mind a Celion Dion when the skater interpretes the music like she did! She gave me goosebumps during the SS, very convincing interpretation :luv17:

Evgenia Medvedeva...this girl is a champion and I hate to see her struggling. Yes, it's a work in progress, and I really hope it will pay off because now it's hard to see her so sad after her performances. Everything went so well before that Flip...and props for her for being so courageous to try something so out of the box for her. She's not selling the performance yet and I liked her old programs more, but everything can change during the season. And I hope it will.

Elizabet...that was not so good today, but she's not that far away and with a clean LP she can gain some places. Daria....I am so dissapointed, and I don't know if there will be a way for her to be back in her last season's top shape. I was always a fan of hers, but this is heartbreaking.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Fell asleep during Starr Andrews, and WHOA WHAT HAS HAPPENED HERE

I need a lot of catching up to do.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Actually I voted Liza to win here, not because I don't love Med, but based on what they have shown prior to this event.

zounger

Medalist
Skating and performance wise I liked Mariah the most. I will be very happy to see her medal.

Liza is building a "eat that moment" for this season, I hope she had a cleanish FS. She is not safe though, a mistake on 3A can ruin her entire program.

Wakaba's program doesn't look either finished or well performed yet. The tempo of the music is overpowering her. She needs more quick/vibrant moves and step seq to bring it to alive.

Elizabet didn't perform so well, but her SP program is nice. With the limitation she has on GOEs and PCS it's very difficult for her to medal here now.

Starr was good. I liked, in a sense, her very disappointing look in Skate America K&C. That's an indication that she was capable of more and show us some bits today.

Mako technically was very good but as Elizabet her PCS doesn't give many hopes if not perfectly clean.

Evgenia still has chances and actually, I would say that mathematically she will medal, silver or higher. Her PCS will be at least 5 points higher at most of the skaters above her. So if she skates cleanish silver will be hers for gold she needs Liza to faulter.

Alaine looks like founding some consistency, she is a lovely skater. I will expect more from her now on.

Kudos to Alicia for the only level 4 in StSq :thumbsup:

Daria :hslap:

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Okay, after my not-quite-breakfast at 3 PM I watched the ladies I had missed (I was not planning to miss the last group, why did my body just decide to shut down aargh), here are my thoughts:

- Oh, Zhenya, you were going fine until that flip... :( Missing that combo was very, very costly, hope you'll be able to make it up in the free. :pray: On the positive side, I like her new dress (way better than the one at ACI) and her projection is getting better. I still like soft, elegant Zhenya better, but this lively, sassy Zhenya is growing on me. Sell this program to me Zhenya, I'm a willing customer. :laugh:

- Liza Tuktamysheva was on fire :2thumbs: A lovely clean 3A to start, and look at that lutz!! I still kinda miss the shirt, but she was awesome from start to finish with charisma and sass. While Zhenya is my favorite here, I think I won't be that much upset if Liza T wins this.

- Nobody in the SC predictions thread had put Yamashita Mako in the top 3, boy am I glad that I don't do predictions (I root too much for my darlings/favorites to guess well, and I don't like being wrong :p). While her music is still damaging to the ears (why her team picked the same singer who did Gabrielle Daleman's Carmen, I have no idea) she finally pulled off a clean performance (minus edge call on her flip) and was rewarded. Let's see how she does in the FS.

- Alaine Chatrand was clean on her SP! While I'm lukewarm about the program, good for her. This was the first time I've seen her clean on her short, hope it continues.

- Who would've imagined Elizabet Tursynbaeva scoring lower than Starr Andrews? I'm indifferent to them both so I'm just surprised, period, but it'll be interesting at the free for sure.

- Higuchi Wakaba's injury situation doesn't seem to be that serious, her jumps were mostly there. I'm not a fan of the program though, and her performance didn't really sell it to me either.

- Shame about all the underrotations, Mariah Bell was delightful. Oh, and her dress was the best one among the ladies here.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
I woke up at 5 am to this and I am SHOOK!
Zhenya looked so strong in practice, the flip was such a surprise :(
I guess I am the only person here who actually loves Wakaba’s SP and I liked Evgenia’s previous SP dress better because I think it suits the program [emoji28]

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Mako for GPF and Worlds! :hap10:

- Nobody in the SC predictions thread had put Yamashita Mako in the top 3, boy am I glad that I don't do predictions (I root too much for my darlings/favorites to guess well, and I don't like being wrong
tongue.gif
). While her music is still damaging to the ears (why her team picked the same singer who did Gabrielle Daleman's Carmen, I have no idea) she finally pulled off a clean performance (minus edge call on her flip) and was rewarded. Let's see how she does in the FS.

My name is nobody, then:

Ladies
1. Evgenia Medvedeva
2. Elizabet Tursynbaeva
3. Mako Yamashita

cohen-esque

Final Flight

No, the 70% thing is for +REP jumps; she got all the points for the 3F<<, not that it was very many.
Oh, well that's a relief...kind of, at the time the box said zero the whole time until she went to her next element so I thought she got nothing at all.
There will always be at least a +COMBO in the SP (or else, obviously, a real combo) but the TP is supposed to try and determine intent before they call it, so it doesn’t always happen in real time. In the meantime, since there can’t get credit for a second solo triple, it’ll show up as an invalid element in the tech box, which is what you saw. But as long as they do a triple it will always end up getting some points.

Of course without the mandatory steps into the solo jump, there’s really no way to clearly identify the skater’s intent most of the time, so I imagine they’ll pretty much always be calling the combination on the second jump from now on.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I was sadly right about Evgenia - what a disaster. I hope Eteri is not gloating. I feel so bad for her. I really wanted it to work. I know she has her fans but she isn't the same:( The jumps, the confidence, the polish. Bring back the old Evgenia. Barely 9 mos and she unrecognizeable.

Unrecognizable in a totally good way, methinks. That double axel is definitely “unrecognizable.”

I actually enjoy watching Zhenya skate now... it’s been the biggest surprise this season so far

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I just realised I kind of hate this shot program for Evgenia. It's not the right fit style-wise and she looks to be trying a little too hard. But if she could make it work and feel natural by the end of the season, she has my admiration.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
I'm finally catching up with the SP (Thanks for the links, Mao88!). There were some nice moments indeed!

-I was really happy to see Alaine have a much better outing than at Skate America. I really enjoyed her footwork, and she's got a great lutz! She still looks really nervous/uncomfortable out there, so hopefully she'll be able to increase her confidence and performance ability as the season progresses.

-Alicia should be very proud of a making solid GP debut. :) She's got good basics and did not seem fazed by the crowd. She did a great job of getting her levels!

-Wakaba has incredibly annoying music. I don't know how she can listen to that repeatedly in practice. :p I really liked her dress though. She's got powerful jumps, which are great to see. Her illusions (like many skaters' illusions) are terrible. Where is Adelina (or a baton twirler!) when you need her? ;) Wakaba also needs to work on performing more - She was in and out of the performance, and was very focused on the technical aspects until she completed her jumps. Nonetheless, she did very well, especially if she is not at 100% strength.

-Elizaveta has such fabulous jumps that I can almost (but not quite!) forgive the very empty program. It's so great to see her continuing - and improving - amongst a sea of talented Russian skaters. I love her interactions with Mishin, especially all the handshakes.

-Evgenia was having a really solid performance (The jumps look much improved - less muscled) until that unfortunate fall. Hopefully she'll be able to come back strong in the FS. I really like this program for her. It's super cute and fun, and she performs it well, although she did look nervous here. I actually much preferred her previous dress - This one is unflattering and seems too 'serious' for the music. The skirt also looks very odd when she spins.