2018 US Championships Jr. Ladies FS | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Jr. Ladies FS

Country
Russia
There aren't (or at least there weren't) age limits, but Alysa does NOT need to rush. I look at her and I desperately want her to have time to develop as a skate, not be pushed to senior to compete there for a few years before she can do anything international.

I'm tired of watching skaters show up at the international level and peak at age 15 and then go down hill. Medvedeva is the only Russian who's been able to hold a "peak" so far. In the meantime, skaters like Lipnitskaya, Radianova and Tutimysheva (sp) have one good year and they are done.

Figure skating should NOT be the race to the top that gymnastics is.
Junior and Senior programs are very similar - in Seniors only ChSq is added. And good Russian Junior Ladies all compete both as Juniors and Seniors without any problems. Trusova won 2nd place at Senior competition being 12 to earn Master of Sports title.
Alysa is good enough to compete as Senior at US Championships and to pretend to medal. Why can't she do so? I don't see reason.

About the age. USA has only one really mature Lady - Wagner born at 1991, Russia has Leonova born at 1990. The eldest Japanese high level skater Miyahara born at 1998. Leonova this season has Season Best 7 points higher than Wagner, their levels are close. Most of strongest skaters are much younger than Wagner and Leonova. It is life - it is so no matter do we like it or not.
Btw Kostner born at 1987 is hugely overscored, her real level is close to Leonova.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
US figure skating future is in good hands with that podium. Alysa Liu is phenomenal. I was a little disapointed at Asian open but now is an another story. A shame that she can't skate at junior level next season.

notonmylife15

On the Ice
Junior and Senior programs are very similar - in Seniors only ChSq is added. And good Russian Junior Ladies all compete both as Juniors and Seniors without any problems. Trusova won 2nd place at Senior competition being 12 to earn Master of Sports title.
Alysa is good enough to compete as Senior at US Championships and to pretend to medal. Why can't she do so? I don't see reason.

About the age. USA has only one really mature Lady - Wagner born at 1991, Russia has Leonova born at 1990. The eldest Japanese high level skater Miyahara born at 1998. Leonova this season has Season Best 7 points higher than Wagner, their levels are close. Most of strongest skaters are much younger than Wagner and Leonova. It is life - it is so no matter do we like it or not.
Btw Kostner born at 1987 is hugely overscored, her real level is close to Leonova.

I never said it wasn't the trend. I'm saying it's wrong. Health-wise for these athletes and mental-health wise. We have two top skaters out of the sport with eating disorders right now who were phenoms at a young age. Both should have grown into national treasurers, but were rushed for an Olympic year.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I never said it wasn't the trend. I'm saying it's wrong. Health-wise for these athletes and mental-health wise. We have two top skaters out of the sport with eating disorders right now who were phenoms at a young age. Both should have grown into national treasurers, but were rushed for an Olympic year.

For some reason you singled out Russian skaters as if skaters from other countries were different.

notonmylife15

On the Ice
For some reason you singled out Russian skaters as if skaters from other countries were different.

Point. There are other countries with the same issues. I just think Russia has taken the cake in terms of one-year senior phenoms lately, and Julia Lipnitskaya's situation SHOULD be a cautionary tale. That said, Japan has the same situation with its juniors, and I didn't mean to imply Russia was alone in this.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Point. There are other countries with the same issues. I just think Russia has taken the cake in terms of one-year senior phenoms lately, and Julia Lipnitskaya's situation SHOULD be a cautionary tale. That said, Japan has the same situation with its juniors, and I didn't mean to imply Russia was alone in this.

It's really got more to do with the pre- and post-puberty aspect than the country of origin. America's not really had many skaters who were so good pre-puberty so the ones who do become internationally competitive tend to be well after puberty and as such don't have that hurdle to deal with. Who knows how many American skaters were lost to puberty before they even became relevant or very well known? Alysa Liu on the other hand is going to be in the exact same situation. It's unknown whether her jumps will last at all post puberty. That's just how it goes.

notonmylife15

On the Ice
It's really got more to do with the pre- and post-puberty aspect than the country of origin. America's not really had many skaters who were so good pre-puberty so the ones who do become internationally competitive tend to be well after puberty and as such don't have that hurdle to deal with. Who knows how many American skaters were lost to puberty before they even became relevant or very well known? Alysa Liu on the other hand is going to be in the exact same situation. It's unknown whether her jumps will last at all post puberty. That's just how it goes.

Umm...there have been plenty of U.S. skaters who were good pre-puberty. Some had their moments of fame and then went away (Kimmie Meissner, Katy Taylor), some we've watched go through puberty on the ice (Wagner, Polina Edmunds) and some seemed never to go through it at all. The jury is still out on Gracie Gold, and if she decides to come back.

I never said that it was a country of origin thing, just that Russia has had a lot of "one and done" years, mainly because they have so many great skaters coming up and skaters rarely seem to stick around the international scene once they've been passed up by the next juniors (Leonova being one exception, Tuktamasheyva another). My major issue is that when Russian skaters hit puberty, they're basically done (again, Leonova being the exception). I would love to see skaters get an opportunity to grow more, and that's across the scene, NOT just Russia.