2018 US Championships Sr. Short Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr. Short Dance

mintx

On the Ice
How are the dancers looking in practice?? I feel like they've been forgot by the press as they are hardly mentioned.

I think because the top 3 teams are so well established that there is no drama as to who is going to the Olympics, only the placement. I assume, the no jumping and team aspect are also factors.

mrrice

Record Breaker
It is still hours away and I am already a bundle of nerves. I have so many teams that I adore and want to do well!! Wishing all the skaters great skates. Out of all the events, Dance is the one I wish I was in San Jose to see. But I am cheap, so I will make do with my trusty computer and my well stocked beer fridge!!

This is SO me....Dance is the one discipline where I am truly happy for everyone who skates well and I'll be happy no matter who wins...

Andrea82

Medalist
Winning is obviously the aim of S/S, H/D and C/B.

I suspect getting at least second place is also important as it would probably mean skating the Team Event (with a likely medal attached)

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Yes the team event !
If it were based on results through the GP I think Shibs would skate both portion OR Shibs = SD and H/D = FD. Shibs have scored very high in SD, and H/D in the FD even when both had mistakes.

But then, C/B could come and spoil everything. Oh man, I can't wait for it to start ! :laugh:

Barb

Record Breaker
yes, no much drama in the Dance competition, but Dance is the last event, all other categories already started except dance, so it is obvious that the focus is in the competition. And I think it is flattery that ice dance is the closing competition of the event.
But seeing the empty seats in the other competitions, I'm afraid that by the early hour of the Short dance, there will be very few people in the arena, I suppose on Sunday the attendance will be much better.

mrrice

Record Breaker
yes, no much drama in the Dance competition, but Dance is the last event, all other categories already started except dance, so it is obvious that the focus is in the competition. And I think it is flattery that ice dance is the closing competition of the event.
But seeing the empty seats in the other competitions, I'm afraid that by the early hour of the Short dance, there will be very few people in the arena, I suppose on Sunday the attendance will be much better.

I tell you what....As much as I love having Nationals in California, I don't think we're the best state for this event. With so many things happening in the big cities, there is a ton of competition for viewership and for a live audience. The Bay area is one of the most expensive areas outside of New York and I think that most casual fans can't afford to attend in person. I'm not sure what they can do about this but, it doesn't look good for companies to see an empty arena if you're looking to sell ads.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I tell you what....As much as I love having Nationals in California, I don't think we're the best state for this event.

What would be a nice place for figure skating ? Boston proved itself, I think Michigan would be great (next year I think ?). There are so many people ready to come to nationals, slight issue : this country is just too huge :laugh:

Barb

Record Breaker
I tell you what....As much as I love having Nationals in California, I don't think we're the best state for this event. With so many things happening in the big cities, there is a ton of competition for viewership and for a live audience. The Bay area is one of the most expensive areas outside of New York and I think that most casual fans can't afford to attend in person. I'm not sure what they can do about this but, it doesn't look good for companies to see an empty arena if you're looking to sell ads.

I think the problem is the schedule. Short dance is friday 1pm. The most of people are at school or working at that time. Ladies final is 3:45pm, many people continue in the school or at work or they are just getting out of work, though I guess the final group will be in a decent time.

I remember in 2009 Worlds in Los Angeles it was a well attended event, or maybe all of people were there for Yuna :laugh:.

Barb

Record Breaker
What would be a nice place for figure skating ? Boston proved itself, I think Michigan would be great (next year I think ?). There are so many people ready to come to nationals, slight issue : this country is just too huge :laugh:

Seeing all the instagram stories from Michigan about -25 gc, thermal sensation -35 gc, no thanks :slink:.

mrrice

Record Breaker

This is a good question. When was the last time they had Nationals in Ohio or Pennsylvania. How about Nashville? I think its important to be in a big city but, there are still large cities in this country that are not as expensive for most people. Especially Nashville, I was shocked at how cheap things were and the hospitality could not have been better. I'm sure there are more.

Barb

Record Breaker
This is a good question. When was the last time they had Nationals in Ohio or Pennsylvania. How about Nashville? I think its important to be in a big city but, they are still large cities in this country that are not as expensive for most people. Especially Nashville, I was shocked at how cheap things were and the hospitality could not have been better. I'm sure there are more.

Florida please. It seems SOI likes Florida. And Washington DC :love:, it would be more realistic.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Seeing all the instagram stories from Michigan about -25 gc, thermal sensation -35 gc, no thanks :slink:.

Not untrue :laugh: I actually think that some skaters living in the Michigan Area + H/D will benefit from a bit of sun and warm weather this week.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Florida please. It seems SOI likes Florida. And Washington DC :love:, it would be more realistic.

Yes on DC.....It has a HUGE area to draw from. The public transportation is spectacular and you can basically traverse the entire region without the need of a vehicle. In most cases you don't even need a cab. We played an Arena that had a subway on the first floor....It was great.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes on DC.....It has a HUGE area to draw from. The public transportation is spectacular and you can basically traverse the entire region without the need of a vehicle. In most cases you don't even need a cab. We played an Arena that had a subway on the first floor....It was great.

I second that! Well mostly cause I live in the DMV so yeah lol. The Capital One Arena is great.

And there are hotels in Arlington, VA you can stay in. Omg, would they be practicing in Kettler?! But that also means the Caps and Wizards will be having a nice road trip lol. Plus there's great things to sightsee! Well some places you do need some vehicle.

And if you plan to drive from outside of Arlington to DC, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE start driving to the venue like at least half an hour earlier than you think you would need to leave at for the venue. ESPECIALLY during rush hour. Sometimes it takes a whopping long time to get to places in rush hour. Like my mom works in DC and when she says she's going to be late home because of traffic, I'm like, "Okay" cause I'm used to it.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
This is a good question. When was the last time they had Nationals in Ohio or Pennsylvania. How about Nashville? I think its important to be in a big city but, there are still large cities in this country that are not as expensive for most people. Especially Nashville, I was shocked at how cheap things were and the hospitality could not have been better. I'm sure there are more.

I want Nationals to be held in Cincinnati, Columbus, or Cleveland!
The last major thing I've heard of from here was 1987 Worlds in Cinci...

mrrice

Record Breaker
and how is the weather now?:unsure:

eta. mmm, -17 :drama:, at least you have sun.

This year is an exception. However, when you think about Russia, Finland, or even Canada......They have to deal with it every year. I remember freezing in Sapporo Japan and we just had to deal with it. Skating is a winter sport after all. At least they don't hold it outdoors anymore....;)

The main consideration in choosing a site for Nationals, is to find a city/lpcal skating club that is willing to host it. It costs a lot of money and the organizers must devote countless hours to dashing about trying to round up local sponsors.

I remember at 2007 Nationals in Spokane, the State of Washington promised to contribute $100,000. But right then the bottom fell out of the U.S. economy, the State of Washington was teetering on the brink of bankruptcy, and the state legislature had to reneg on it's offer, leaving the local organizing committee holding the bag. This despite the fact that this Nationals set the all-time attendance record.