2019-20 Japanese Men's Figure Skating | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Japanese Men's Figure Skating

eaglehelang

Final Flight
This is just wrong. Why sending a junior to 4CC and Yuzuru's decision to go to 4CC is just selfish.
At least Kazuki and Sota now know that their federation hates them.

It's JSF's decision and the 1st and 2nd place winner always get assigned to 4CC. Same with the ladies, JSF is sending Rika & Wakaba.
Just that past 2 yrs Yuzuru was injured & withdrew from Nationals so he didnt get to go 4CC.

Yuma is the Nationals bronze medalist(not Keiji, Keiji is 4th), of course he'll get to go 4CC.
Yuma is not going WC cos he's a junior.

KiraraChin

Medalist
I have said this before here, and today's scores just proved this - Yuma is a fed darling. At this point he's obviously a overall better and more consistent skater than Kazuki, although no way in hell he deserves the same PCS as Kazuki, But anyway... I'm not surprised by JSF's decision.

What Yuma, Shun, Keiji and the others need to be careful about is Kazuki's development from now on: unlike Yuma, Kazuki left a bunch of points on the table (doubled jumps, botched spins, etc) and yet his TES was almost 90. And we just know if he gets some consistency, his PCS will rise, because he is an amazing performer. In my view, he can become a Kevin Aymoz-type, but with even better TES. What Kazuki showed us today is just the tip of the iceberg, mark my words.

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight
Shoma's jumps look much better now that he is with Lambiel (more so than they ever have to me)! The difference on his 4F is especially evident to me and just the general higher level of control and cleaner air position are so nice to see!

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Shoma's jumps look much better now that he is with Lambiel (more so than they ever have to me)! The difference on his 4F is especially evident to me and just the general higher level of control and cleaner air position are so nice to see!

Still somewhat wonky but the way he saved that 4F landing was worth gold alone :shocked:
He's got enough of his mojo back already to save those landings instead of going down hard.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Enjoyed watching the Nationals — some interesting skates. I liked both Sato skaters as well as those already listed — Uno, of course, the two junior stars, and Tomono. Great competition, and grats to Uno for a hard-earned win!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I can't wait to see all skates, I've been busy all day and only watched Koshiro and my two Howa faves, Sota and Ryuju, so far. Well done, Howa boys! I am happy for you, and the scores were just a number for me. It was heartwarming to see Ryuju happy again after a good while.

Keiji should go to Worlds. Kazuki had a great skate, but the short cost him. Koshiro, idk what's happening with him, Sota also not up to par. The japanese senior men should watch out, since Yuma's and Shun's tech was so good. It's getting busy for these spots as soon as they leave juniors (perhaps next season?), after there was a bit of a draught for a few years.

Yes, Kagiyama and Sato are very good, for me at least when it comes to TES, and they're a danger to everyone except the top 2. I also don't know about Koshiro as I haven't been following him closely of late, maybe he's still struggling with his growth spurt. But as for Sota, can we cut him some slack? The boy's continuing his steadily progressing journey from what is AFAIK normally a career-ending injury, and if he struggles with mental resilience, may I just say that this happens to many, even Junior Worlds medalists, once they turn fully senior, so his rivals aren't sure medal locks either? And also that he's upgraded his tech arsenal tremendously within just one season, given his condition - from one quad in SP and FP combined, to two types of quads, both solo and in 4-2 and 4-3 combos? I imagine that takes some time to get used to. I think his struggle deserves a nod rather than a flat out dismissal for not being good enough to compete with two fresh youngsters and a super experienced, always-in-top-shape-at-Nats Keiji. Just my two cents.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I hope Hanyu gets back in shape and finally fills in that blank on his record by winning 4CC.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I can't wait to see all skates, I've been busy all day and only watched Koshiro and my two Howa faves, Sota and Ryuju, so far. Well done, Howa boys! I am happy for you, and the scores were just a number for me. It was heartwarming to see Ryuju happy again after a good while.

Yes, Kagiyama and Sato are very good, for me at least when it comes to TES, and they're a danger to everyone except the top 2. I also don't know about Koshiro as I haven't been following him closely of late, maybe he's still struggling with his growth spurt. But as for Sota, can we cut him some slack? The boy's continuing his steadily progressing journey from what is AFAIK normally a career-ending injury, and if he struggles with mental resilience, may I just say that this happens to many, even Junior Worlds medalists, once they turn fully senior, so his rivals aren't sure medal locks either? And also that he's upgraded his tech arsenal tremendously within just one season, given his condition - from one quad in SP and FP combined, to two types of quads, both solo and in 4-2 and 4-3 combos? I imagine that takes some time to get used to. I think his struggle deserves a nod rather than a flat out dismissal for not being good enough to compete with two fresh youngsters and a super experienced, always-in-top-shape-at-Nats Keiji. Just my two cents.

A flat out dismissal? I just said he wasn't up to par. I know about his history - which is that - history. He did pretty good at the beginning of the season, so what is so wrong with having a bit more of expectations now, thinking he might do well at Nationals? If he wants to be on the team for Worlds and 4CC his rivals are Keiji, Kazuki and Co. And the juniors who will challenge for senior spots soon, or already do like we see with the 4CC assignment for Yuma. I don't know why every statement is made out to be a slight against skaters, when it certainly wasn't ill intended. It's the reality and not mean. Personally I would take Yamamoto over Shun Sato any minute, so I think it's unfortunate that he didn't do well.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I just wish to put in my two cents...this Japanese Nationals was such a joy to watch. Except for Yuzu really being too tired in his Free (my only downer). But so many highlights. Daisukes farewell to singles skating was heartwarming, and oh my, isn't he a dancer already? Seeing Shoma doing so well (especially in his short) made me smile almost as much as he did himself, and weren't the hugs and congratulations among the skaters just wonderful. Also, such a lovely story about Kagiyama medalling and his father also getting a first medal at Nationals 30 yrs ago. The reactions were priceless (and the skate was too!).

There was only one pair team, but - just as in their sole GP - they really made me feel joyful because of the way they interacted. Not a perfect programme, but such fun.

Regrettably, I didn't get to see the Dancers.

And the ladies...I have a really soft spot for Wakaba and she delivered! I am just so happy for her. Furthermore, the ladies event was exciting in itself.

So, thank you all Japanese skaters for bringing an awesome event.

Edit: oops...wrong thread. Move if necessary!

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I don't ever want to see that Triple Axel Single Euler Single Flip combination in competition again, but I wouldn't mind if Shoma made that a staple of his exhibitions. It was kind of beautiful in its own unique way.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I don't ever want to see that Triple Axel Single Euler Single Flip combination in competition again, but I wouldn't mind if Shoma made that a staple of his exhibitions. It was kind of beautiful in its own unique way.

I believe it was a quick-witted attempt to avoid having the second 3A invalidated. Shoma and Stephane were laughing hysterically about it in the K&C.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Extremely confused that he's going to 4CC or can he decline this? He obviously needs some rest and I don't think him going to 4CC is necessary.

Of course it's necessary! He's never won 4CC before. He doesn't want to end his career with that blank on his record.

It's not like he'd just be sitting on a beach somewhere if he didn't go to 4CC. He's probably better served going and getting his confidence back ahead of Worlds.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Of course it's necessary! He's never won 4CC before. He doesn't want to end his career with that blank on his record.

It's not like he'd just be sitting on a beach somewhere if he didn't go to 4CC. He's probably better served going and getting his confidence back ahead of Worlds.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Just worried for his health, he looked shockingly tired out at Nationals

surimi

Record Breaker
A flat out dismissal? I just said he wasn't up to par. I know about his history - which is that - history. He did pretty good at the beginning of the season, so what is so wrong with having a bit more of expectations now, thinking he might do well at Nationals? If he wants to be on the team for Worlds and 4CC his rivals are Keiji, Kazuki and Co. And the juniors who will challenge for senior spots soon, or already do like we see with the 4CC assignment for Yuma. I don't know why every statement is made out to be a slight against skaters, when it certainly wasn't ill intended. It's the reality and not mean. Personally I would take Yamamoto over Shun Sato any minute, so I think it's unfortunate that he didn't do well.

I didn't say you were 'slighting' Sota. Your post is just one of many that I feel are dismissive of his efforts, in the sense of not mentioning anything about him at Nats but his mistakes and underperformance. 'Many posts' is actually an exaggeration, as he's not yet on top level to be spoken about, but I frankly cannot recall a single post on GS that says something positive about him at Nats. And considering some others get at least some praise for their, say, steps, spins, determination or performance skills even if they underperform, I just don't get where this passing over comes from when it comes to Sota. Yes, he underperforms of late, maybe due to fatigue and too quick upgrade of his content, and he probably didn't fulfill some folks' expectations of shooting to stardom after the promising start of the season, but that's why I say let's give him time.

KiraraChin

Medalist
I didn't say you were 'slighting' Sota. Your post is just one of many that I feel are dismissive of his efforts, in the sense of not mentioning anything about him at Nats but his mistakes and underperformance. 'Many posts' is actually an exaggeration, as he's not yet on top level to be spoken about, but I frankly cannot recall a single post on GS that says something positive about him at Nats. And considering some others get at least some praise for their, say, steps, spins, determination or performance skills even if they underperform, I just don't get where this passing over comes from when it comes to Sota. Yes, he underperforms of late, maybe due to fatigue and too quick upgrade of his content, and he probably didn't fulfill some folks' expectations of shooting to stardom after the promising start of the season, but that's why I say let's give him time.

I would agree with this. I've been thinking since the start of the season that perhaps it was a strategic mistake to upgrade his BV so quickly - he started off well but it ended up costing him in terms of stamina and other elements. But this happens, and he's young, so he and his team can now re-assess and perhaps change his layout in a way that's more comfortable and sustainable for him. I think it was already a good progress that he only went for 2 quads in the free, as opposed to 3, it did make his performance cleaner overall in the second half.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

I simply said he's not up to par, and that will not do if he wants to be at the bigger international competitions - and I don't see what's wrong about this statement, this year. If 7th at Nationals is okay for him, I'm happy for him. Every skater who is going to Nationals is to be applauded, especially japanese Nationals is a real pressure cooker. I also mentioned Koshiro as someone who underperformed, and didn't say something positive there either. It's not like I picked Sota out of many skaters, painted him in a bad light and praised everyone else to the heaven. And this is 'the state of Japanese Men's Figure Skating' thread, and not the FanFest.

surimi

Record Breaker
I simply said he's not up to par, and that will not do if he wants to be at the bigger international competitions - and I don't see what's wrong about this statement, this year. If 7th at Nationals is okay for him, I'm happy for him. Every skater who is going to Nationals is to be applauded, especially japanese Nationals is a real pressure cooker. I also mentioned Koshiro as someone who underperformed, and didn't say something positive there either. It's not like I picked Sota out of many skaters, painted him in a bad light and praised everyone else to the heaven. And this is 'the state of Japanese Men's Figure Skating' thread, and not the FanFest.

Sorry if I gave the impression I was picking on your post in particular. It just happened to be one of a bunch sharing similar sentiments, and this time I reacted, that's all. Of course no one is forcing you to write only positives. But this particular fan has seen one too many headshakes at her fave, and felt sad enough to state a few points in his favour. And with that, I'm done here for now.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Sorry if I gave the impression I was picking on your post in particular. It just happened to be one of a bunch sharing similar sentiments, and this time I reacted, that's all. Of course no one is forcing you to write only positives. But this particular fan has seen one too many headshakes at her fave, and felt sad enough to state a few points in his favour. And with that, I'm done here for now.

No hard feelings surimi. I know that sometimes one particular post triggers something that's been brewing for a long time, and then it just comes out. I apologize also, because I don't read many threads here in The Edge, so I don't know if Sota is a exceptionally criticized skater. In the competition threads a few posts were positive about Sota and praise his skating, so I cannot really agree with your point that there is not one single positive one. But I agree on ending this, because it leads nowhere.