2019-20 Ladies' power ranking | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Ladies' power ranking

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Comparing to what other people are saying about Bradie, i would call samkrut a fan ;)

And I am a fan. I liked her a lot starting last season. This did not preclude me from mentioning that one of her moves reminded of Alina's move and rapidly increased number of transitions was also a sign that her team look closely at what Eteri's school does.

This year I like her SP. I am even ready to name it a masterpiece. While her free program is not as entertaining and it loses to Kaori's one it is still quite solid. Once again, similar to what Eteri's school does it is possible to see that Bradie is telling some story, not just skating to music.

My only point was and is that at SA somehow Bradie did not receive a single UR call while in all other recent competitions (but WTT) she received those. At the same time, top Russian skaters Liza and Anna received multiple UR calls. And Liza was not known to be especially UR prone before. I just hope that those who shout now: "Conspiracy! Conspiracy!" will never question judges. I might be watching. And it might help. Like some time ago I promised to count the phrases: "I like her...but" and like a miracle those have disappeared - at least I don't see them now... together with some posters who liked to express their feelings in such a way.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I know your point of view and opinion about Bradie very well, because i was reading your posts in ladies power ranking through the years... I also gave my opinion about 'home cooking', or whatever people called it, multiple times - it's an unwritten rule in every sport for me- judging the home athletes/teams will always be more favourable (but still that doesnt mean that their rankings would be different otherwise).

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
And I am a fan. I liked her a lot starting last season. This did not preclude me from mentioning that one of her moves reminded of Alina's move and rapidly increased number of transitions was also a sign that her team look closely at what Eteri's school does.

This year I like her SP. I am even ready to name it a masterpiece. While her free program is not as entertaining and it loses to Kaori's one it is still quite solid. Once again, similar to what Eteri's school does it is possible to see that Bradie is telling some story, not just skating to music.

My only point was and is that at SA somehow Bradie did not receive a single UR call while in all other recent competitions (but WTT) she received those. At the same time, top Russian skaters Liza and Anna received multiple UR calls. And Liza was not known to be especially UR prone before. I just hope that those who shout now: "Conspiracy! Conspiracy!" will never question judges. I might be watching. And it might help. Like some time ago I promised to count the phrases: "I like her...but" and like a miracle those have disappeared - at least I don't see them now... together with some posters who liked to express their feelings in such a way.

It's been pointed out that she did have a UR in the FS but the system error doesn't reflect that and actually lost her more points

natsulian

Final Flight

The system did not include her 3Lz+3T<... which would have given her about 2 more points because an under-rotated 3Lz+3T is still worth more than a 3Lz+2T. Her other jumps looked fine, especially the first 3Lz+3T. You don't have to be a known prone under-rotator to have an off day. Even in real-time, Liza's 3Lo was under. A lot of the jumps which looked clean in real-time were given the benefit of the doubt at Skate America. Many of the jumps which had questionable landings were dinged (i.e. Anna's 3Lz+3Lo and 3Lz+Eu+3S). That was true throughout the competition (most of the time).

readernick

Medalist
The system did not include her 3Lz+3T<... which would have given her about 2 more points because an under-rotated 3Lz+3T is still worth more than a 3Lz+2T. Her other jumps looked fine, especially the first 3Lz+3T. You don't have to be a known prone under-rotator to have an off day. Even in real-time, Liza's 3Lo was under. A lot of the jumps which looked clean in real-time were given the benefit of the doubt at Skate America. Many of the jumps which had questionable landings were dinged (i.e. Anna's 3Lz+3Lo and 3Lz+Eu+3S). That was true throughout the competition (most of the time).

Yes, the are a bunch of crazy people on the internet who choose to believe in conspiracy theories. The real reason for problems with UR calls is the bad technical equipment the ISU has... As Hanlon's razor says, "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." That 3Lz+2T call is another example of stupidity not malice or conspiracy and it dinged Bradie. It didn't help her.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker

It is convenient to say that judges are always right. Nevermind what you see with your own eyes. Like I did not see 3T< it was 3T<< and I am not sure if it is better than a double. And I saw 3F< which was not called.

Bradie.jpg

And for the millionth time my point is not about Bradie - it is about tech people who always saw Bradie's URs. And now while they saw them with Anna and Liza they somehow got "different angles" than me with Bradie. Conspiracies? Tell it to people who 5 years later still cannot forget about Adelina's win. Isn't it convenient to label as "conspiracies" only the stuff that fits someone's personal agenda? By the way, where is chuckm who was always here when tech people had "slavic sounded" last names? How about the names of tech people at SA?

Fine, we are going in circles. It is clear that standpoints were declared by all parties and no one is willing to change their minds.

As for the thread topic, may be I was too emotional taking Liza off the list now. Bradie is facing Sasha and Rika this week. For me it is very unlikely for her to come on top of them. Hence, bronze at best and 3+2. Liza in China will face Anna again. I don't think she can win. But then there is the only other threat of Satoko. Well, if tech people will also have the angles to see Liza's URs and not Satoko's I will totally give up. Otherwise, Liza has a chance for silver and 3+2 as well. Then it will be about scores. She is -10 points vs. Bradie. Hence, Bradie's score in Canada will be a benchmark for Liza...and judges.

I cannot see other ladies capable of 3+2 or better, well, except Medvedeva. She has all the chances to get a silver in Moscow. She needs then a bronze in Canada. In other words, she needs to outbest Bradie. Ironically, last season it was Liza-Zhenya drama. It repeats but indirectly. To preserve the power in the presence of 4A one has to...beat Bradie. Liza could not. What about Zhenya? Her bronze will mean that she will have real chances for the final.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
If your point is not about Bradie why keep going on and on about her? And refusing to accept a system error actually dinged her score unfairly? This has gone on in various threads now, for two days

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
If your point is not about Bradie why keep going on and on about her? And refusing to accept a system error actually dinged her score unfairly? This has gone on in various threads now, for two days

I don't like ignore button, hence, I would just be very thankful if you stop writing personal messages to me in the public domain. They have nothing to do with ladies' power ranking. Have a nice day.

readernick

Medalist

Her videos in YouTube are full of hate filled comments and dislikes. People on the internet are insane. First, the bad tech call hurt Bradie. She lost several points on it. Second, the supposed 3F UR videos can't be trusted because they stop before her blade even hits the ice. Third, skaters( including many many Russian skaters) get away with UR all the time because if a jump looks good in real time it isn't checked by the technical panel. Skating fans need to calm down. Those promoting these conspiracy theories obviously have their own reasons for doing so... I don't think their motives are pure.....

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I don't like ignore button, hence, I would just be very thankful if you stop writing personal messages to me in the public domain. They have nothing to do with ladies' power ranking. Have a nice day.

There was nothing personal about what I said?? I'm not the one on some kind of "Let's bash Bradie" campaign, that is also in this thread

Scott512

Record Breaker
The young lady with the initials AIZ is number one in power ranking until proven otherwise! 3A still has to do it at a high level through an entire season even if to be put in Alina's class and greatness level. Alena is the most beautiful skater of them all Sasha is the most athletic and dynamic and Anna is a combination of both of those. But they still have to do it at Alinas level for an extended period of time to be put ahead of her. And with the immense pressure these three dynamic girls face on their tiny shoulders it's not a sure thing. But to be honest none of them seems to be fazed by anything the way Zhenya and Alina werent fazed by anything either. I call that the Eteri.

Bradie has come a long way. You don't usually see ladies figure skaters these days getting better at age 21 but she has. She won golden spin last fall in a pretty good competition with Gubanova and Bell. Then she and Mariah got whipped by little 13 year old Alysa at Nationals. But Bradie became stronger from that bad moment and better too. Amazing.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Update #1. In before Skate Canada:

1. Rika Kihira (no change): Skate Canada’s this week. I don’t know the extent of her injury, but if she’s still injured, I hope she doesn’t aggravate it further. She doesn’t need the 4S or lutz here. She can score 220+ without them and that’s more than enough to win. Well, obviously, it’s not enough to beat a clean Trusova. But if she’s healed…. bring it.

2. Alena Kostornaia (no change)

3. Alina Zagitova (no change)

4. Alexandra Trusova (no change)

5. Anna Scherbakova (+3) : She landed both 4Lz! Very nicely done. She’s looking great so far and her 4Lz is much more consistent than it was last year. I still think she needs a second quad that isn’t the 4Lz for more stability. She needs to be clean or 4Lz+REP is going to hurt her when up against the four above her.

6. Kaori Sakamoto (+1) : Always so close, yet so far away. I don’t think it’s nerves, but a lapse in concentration. It could even be a problem with conditioning (most of her damning mistakes are almost always in the second half of her free skate). Whatever it is, it needs to be fixed, because she’s the best skater on this list and has a great FS. The choreographic sequence is already my favorite. She needs to be on podiums, not off them.

7. Bradie Tennell (+3) : Well, well, well. Look what we have here. I’m not a fan of hers, but I give props when props are due. She’s been putting in some major work. Last week, I said she should return to last season’s SP. PUH-LEEZE. What was I thinking??? (It’s her FS she needs to dump. The princessy persona just doesn’t suit her.) She skated very well in Skate America and now has a chance to qualify for GPF. She should be feeling pretty confident right now and she definitely has the chutzpah to make it happen.

8. Evgenia Medvedeva (-2) : I guess we’ll see how she does in Skate Canada.

9. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (-4) : Last week I said she can skate clean with three 3As and score below 220+ because of her flat programs, but I was thinking more of the lines of 210-215, not barely above 200. She obviously worked on her 3A, but I don’t think she can maintain difficulty with the second 3A in the free skate; if that’s the case, she needs to work on stamina ASAP or dump it. Her layout (with a single 3A) at GPF last year is more competitive.

10. Young You (-1) : Has the worst 3A on the list, but can still play spoiler in Skate Canada.

GBs mom

Rinkside
Assuming all skate to their potential, I figure Anna, Sasha, Alena, Alina, and Rika are in for the grand prix final. Toss up for the 6th contender between Evgenia, Bradie, and Elizaveta. What do you all think?

andromache

Record Breaker
Assuming all skate to their potential, I figure Anna, Sasha, Alena, Alina, and Rika are in for the grand prix final. Toss up for the 6th contender between Evgenia, Bradie, and Elizaveta. What do you all think?

Agreed.

I originally figured that Liza would get that 6th spot, but the door is open now for Zhenya and Bradie.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Agreed.

I originally figured that Liza would get that 6th spot, but the door is open now for Zhenya and Bradie.
Zhenya have the highest chance right now. 2+2 is possible, especially with her 2nd event in Russia. Let's see how she did next week in SkCan. Its possible other skater play spoiler though.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Zhenya have the highest chance right now. 2+2 is possible, especially with her 2nd event in Russia. Let's see how she did next week in SkCan.

I don't think that she can beat either Sasha or Rika major meltdowns aside. Hence, 2+2 is highly unlikely. The task is to beat Bradie. And this seems like a very difficult task for both objective and subjective reasons. If she is successful, then for Zhenya the objective is to get 3+2. Liza with 3 will need to beat Satoko to get 2. It will be quite dramatic - their indirect competition. However, if Zhenya loses to Bradie she will have very small chances for GPF. And I bet that Liza won't get necessry score in China. Hence, there will be 4A, Rika, and Bradie. In a way the battle for the 6th spot will be this week already. Quite exciting!

Pantsu

On the Ice
Liza has 0 chances now. Even Miahara is more capable of qualifying to GPF.
Medo is a wild card, i think she can get her spot with 4/1. I expect Bradie to keep her scores and perhaps placement if she skates clean at SC. I doubt that Kihira is healthy but we'll see
4 from Eteri is not going to happen, that's just overkill

lzxnl

Final Flight
I don't think that she can beat either Sasha or Rika major meltdowns aside. Hence, 2+2 is highly unlikely. The task is to beat Bradie. And this seems like a very difficult task for both objective and subjective reasons. If she is successful, then for Zhenya the objective is to get 3+2. Liza with 3 will need to beat Satoko to get 2. It will be quite dramatic - their indirect competition. However, if Zhenya loses to Bradie she will have very small chances for GPF. And I bet that Liza won't get necessry score in China. Hence, there will be 4A, Rika, and Bradie. In a way the battle for the 6th spot will be this week already. Quite exciting!

We will see how Rika's ankle holds up and how the judging works. It is very hard to make predictions regarding how the judging will go at any given competition it seems.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Liza has 0 chances now. Even Miahara is more capable of qualifying to GPF.
Medo is a wild card, i think she can get her spot with 4/1. I expect Bradie to keep her scores and perhaps placement if she skates clean at SC. I doubt that Kihira is healthy but we'll see
4 from Eteri is not going to happen, that's just overkill

A lot of strong opinions, wow! I am most interested in the last one. In whose eyes is 4 from Eteri an overkill? And what can they do about it? With Liza it's a different story. Just a recent opinion at GS: "her programs really do need better content. She's a veteran and her skating still looks a bit sloppy". It does not matter to those people that for the very same "sloppy skating" she received very different scores even this season. Like 214 with only 1 good 3A vs 3 at SC. Yes, Liza is an easy target. But Eteri girls are a different story. Anna already performed at GP. After Alena scored 234 can she go to Liza's 205? It won't happen. And then Sasha and Alina - 2 strongest skaters, 2 world champions. They will suddenly receive low scores? It won't happen.

Who can beat Anna in China? Liza? Satoko? Even with 1+3 she is in. But she will likely win there.

Who can beat Alina? Alena? Possible. But other than that? In France Mariah Bell, Wakaba, Star Andrews? I don't think so. Well, Kaori...may be...but no, highly unlikely. In Japan Alena? Possible. Rika? Possible Anybody else? Not a chance. Hence, her worst outcome is 2+3 with Alena's worst outcome 1+2 if she wins France and loses Japan to Rika.

Who can beat Alena? It's the mirror situation with Alina. The worst outcome is 2+3 and Alina will have at worst 1+2 then

Who can beat Sasha? Rika? Possible? Bradie? Zhenya? I don't think so. The worst outcome is 1+2 then

And unless there are some crazy scenarios the worst outcome for Eteri girls can come from either Alina or Alena in the form of 2+3. The only other skaters who can have the same situation are Liza, Bradie, and Zhenya. And one of them will be in for the 6th spot. So Alina or Alena will have to score better than the second best result of those other skaters with 2+3. I see it as a minor challenge.

Then even if some people believe that it will be an overkill what is a realistic scenario that 4A are not at GPF?