2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 160 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

katymay

Medalist
Anything can aways happen. But the likelihood I would say is 0. Because figure skating has gotten so popular in Russia, they have tons of ambitious girls all with the same goal. Alina and Evgenia were nowhere close to the current skaters in their technical arsenal (both jumps and spins - the combination), neither now nor back when they were the same age. It only takes 3 to push both off a team. And when you have thousands of your girls who are starting to up their technique younger and therefore have much more time to work on it along with their bodies when they grow, the chances are next to nothing. It's even likely that the 3A will be replaced as the front runners in a year or two, as younger girls will be watching and be inspired by then to up their technical arsenal before they even get to where these are. Not to say that Alina, Evgenia, etc. aren't great skaters who can up their tech as well, but others are doing it quicker and earlier because they have the advantage of knowing what is expected. In any other country, this is not a problem, but when a sport is that popular, it's natural.

In a way Trusova (and Anya) started this revolution, and yet, I wonder if either of them will reap the rewards.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
If someone has attended GP Rostelecom, can you please message me? I have a question.

thatbeatingheart

On the Ice
Country
Germany
And here I am trying to make it to the GPF. If EC is any indication, then damn I'll have to splurge quite a bit :laugh:

GPF would be great too but I can only afford one so I picked the one where I understand the language. :laugh:

Talking about the Olympic team for 2022, I wouldn't count out neither Alina nor Evgenia yet. I know, from the current point of view it's unlikely but stranger things have happened. Actually, I think if Alina can keep her technical level her chances are not even that bad even without a quad. I believe she could be given a chance to defend her title and RusFed would probably like to have a Plan B in case the quad-jumping girls don't deliver.

Arbitrary

Medalist
In a way Trusova (and Anya) started this revolution, and yet, I wonder if either of them will reap the rewards.
Unlikely. Usually the revolutioner is the first to die well before the effect of the revolution becomes obvious.

I see 3-5 years before top six ladies will include 3+ quads. I mean with rare crashes. Same like men skaters few years ago.

Tere19

Rinkside
Three of them will be. Look at the ages of these girls in less than 3 years. They will be in their primes.

What you mean their primes ??? If we judge by the results your prime is the fisrt 2 seniors years (EM 2016 and 2017) (AZ 2018 and 2019)trusova next ??

Tere19

Rinkside
Unlikely. Usually the revolutioner is the first to die well before the effect of the revolution becomes obvious.

I see 3-5 years before top six ladies will include 3+ quads. I mean with rare crashes. Same like men skaters few years ago.

Shelepen said in a recent interview that she regrets putting so difficults 3 combinations at such young age because it made elizabeta tutk start learning 3a at 12 and in general everybody moved ...that she would have done ir now in seniors only...trusova started last year so Rika and more skaters starting learning...anyway i think is going to be very fast we are going to see quads at all competitions

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Who in the world is that? She looks tall and a rare blond for a figure skater. For Ksenia to be able to pull a triple axel off is amazing.

Pretty much an unknown skater, hasn't been competing practically at all, she only did 3 domestic competitions last season (and 2 the season before), and her total sb is only 131.
Her axel is kinda weird, looks like she's just 'rotating' it, but still impressive she managed to pull that off.

I wonder if she is doing FS as a hobby, or is she a full-time athlete.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Ted Barton told me that 6 vs. 8 or 10 is due to a time factor, and only the time factor. I too would like to see it expand at least to 8, he seemed to think it never will.

Time factor? Most normal domestic and international figure skating events have 20 to 30 per discipline. 8 wouldnt cause any ptoblems.

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
Time factor? Most normal domestic and international figure skating events have 20 to 30 per discipline. 8 wouldnt cause any ptoblems.
The time factor is about tv-time. Since figure skating is not a popular sport for most people, tv networks are only interested in not havong as much time/sending space

Scott512

Record Breaker
The time factor is about tv-time. Since figure skating is not a popular sport for most people, tv networks are only interested in not havong as much time/sending space

Its the Grand Prix finals. 2 more skaters wont hurt a thing. 6 more? Maybe. Not 2 more.

colormyworld240

Medalist

'Tis the life of sports. Others were the first to land any quad, or any specific quad, and also weren't there to reap the rewards. You can't push technical boundaries and assume no one else will come and push yours. There will always be a 12 year old (and many) learning new tricks that you're doing once they see you do them. And because they have more time, they can do them better. That's the progression.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
'Tis the life of sports. Others were the first to land any quad, or any specific quad, and also weren't there to reap the rewards. You can't push technical boundaries and assume no one else will come and push yours.

It's kind of like that Greek proverb that goes ""A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." :laugh: The timing could very well work out for some of the ladies. I don't think it's just Valieva's based on how the Olympic cycle plays out.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Or 8-9 for the SP, and the top 6 for the FP. It will definitely add drama.

Brilliant!

But I'm not sure all the skaters will fly halfway around the World to a Grand Prix Final for one skate. But I would like to see it instituted eight or nine skaters three missed the cut the rest go for the gold. Sweet.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Brilliant!

But I'm not sure all the skaters will fly halfway around the World to a Grand Prix Final for one skate. But I would like to see it instituted eight or nine skaters three missed the cut the rest go for the gold. Sweet.

Well plenty of skaters do that for Worlds for example. You don't see everyone in the FS.