2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 427 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
SfM - I never understood how this Russian Cup Group Stage works. Do they get points like in the GP events? And then top pointers go through to RusNats? I guess the scores are the tiebreaker?

Yes, but the points assigned are different (I can't remember exactly though). The ones qualifying with top points qualify to RusNats and yes, scores are usually the tiebreakers, IIRC. Since some events are more stacked than others, though, starting at an event with fewer skaters often helps, which is why many who qualify end up skating at the first/second stages. So it's not just the strongest skaters, but those that skate at the most advantageous events for them.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Yes, but the points assigned are different (I can't remember exactly though). The ones qualifying with top points qualify to RusNats and yes, scores are usually the tiebreakers, IIRC. Since some events are more stacked than others, though, starting at an event with fewer skaters often helps, which is why many who qualify end up skating at the first/second stages. So it's not just the strongest skaters, but those that skate at the most advantageous events for them.

It seems like the first 2 events are usually stacked with the top skaters who don’t have international assignments (as can be seen by the junior and senior line ups) and the last 2 often have skaters who already competed in internationals (i.e. Trusova, Kostornaya competed at stage 4, Tarusina and Tarakanova at stage 5), so the 3rd event is usually the least stacked (if that’s even a thing!) but this is just based on the last couple of seasons.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden

Thanks. I looked at last year and saw that Nugumanova and Talalaykina were really unlucky. They had to meet all of 3A. But it turned out alright for them anyway.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
You should have asked them to send you the original interview in English. :)

The original is copyrighted by Ruslan, and those media have already enough on their hands with moderating all the blogs they host. They probably have little time left to look at foreign language boards like GS.

I did a most scary thing today, adding a section to Wikipedia on Anna Shcherbakova's rendition of Perfume based on that excellent blog. Anybody can edit Wiki apparently, so must see how long it will stay up:

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Competeting at the Russian Cup Group Stages will not be easy for Kanysheva as well. You have to skate really well to go through to SenNats or JunNats.

This is what was needed last year to Q for senior Rusnats:
Gulyakova 210+210 Q
Tarusina 204+209 Q
Gubanova 194+211 Q
Talalaykina 199+202 Q
Nugumanova 201+196 (Q when Radionova WD)
Vasilieva 203+193 (Q when Tuktamysheva WD)

And the next 6 that didn't make it (I wish RusNats would add an additional group)
Sinitsyna 188+199
Shilenko 187+193
Sakhanovich 185+191
Gracheva 191+183
Tsibinova 189+176
Ogoreltseva 179+181

Both Kanysheva and Tarusina will have to skate their best at Russian Cup if they want to go RusNats. And they are both in desperate need of a good SB result (around 200 points) from Challengers if they want to get GP assignments next year.

Can Kanysheva even do Challengers? She isn’t age eligible. I haven’t heard of Junior challengers. I think she might need Junior Worlds, which is attainable for her but still unfortunate that it will be a much taller order to get this spot than just getting JGP, and that now she only has one chance when she could have had JGP, JGP, and JGPF plus JW. Tarusina may be in a better spot because at least she can do challengers, but somehow I get the impression that her injury may be more severe (I have no information about this, it is just my impression). She has been injured a lot and maybe will never recover from the accident. It is so unfair. :-(

Also can they do Cup Events as both junior and senior? I thought you had to choose. Maybe someone here knows.

karina17

Final Flight
Can Kanysheva even do Challengers? She isn’t age eligible. I haven’t heard of Junior challengers.

She can do junior international competitions (not part of the challenger series, but they do count as SB, so it doesn't matter). She did Golden Bear in Zagreb last year and won, so if she needs the SB this year then I could see her being sent to another international competition.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
She can do junior international competitions (not part of the challenger series, but they do count as SB, so it doesn't matter). She did Golden Bear in Zagreb last year and won, so if she needs the SB this year then I could see her being sent to another international competition.

Oh. I didn't know that! What other junior competitions except JGP counts for SB?

Happy Skates

Final Flight

The only other international competitions that count for SB though are Youth Olympics and Junior Worlds. Hopefully she can recover in time for Cup of Russia, qualify to both nationals (that will be crazy though... maybe they'll give her a bye to junior nats or something?) and have a good showing at Senior Nationals. Then maybe they'll send her to Youth Olympics, which are before Junior Nationals, but will also probably be easier to make than Junior Worlds since the 2006 born girls won't be in contention, leaving out Valieva, Usacheva and Kromykh. Then she'll only have to compete with Sinitsyna, Tarakanova and Vasilieva for one of the two spots. If she is healthy, I think she should make it. RusFed seems to like her I think, and if they have any sense they'll want to give her a shot to qualify for a GP next year. Junior Worlds is also a possibility, but she'll have to really be on her A-game at Junior Nationals.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
The only other international competitions that count for SB though are Youth Olympics and Junior Worlds. Hopefully she can recover in time for Cup of Russia, qualify to both nationals (that will be crazy though... maybe they'll give her a bye to junior nats or something?) and have a good showing at Senior Nationals. Then maybe they'll send her to Youth Olympics, which are before Junior Nationals, but will also probably be easier to make than Junior Worlds since the 2006 born girls won't be in contention, leaving out Valieva, Usacheva and Kromykh. Then she'll only have to compete with Sinitsyna, Tarakanova and Vasilieva for one of the two spots. If she is healthy, I think she should make it. RusFed seems to like her I think, and if they have any sense they'll want to give her a shot to qualify for a GP next year. Junior Worlds is also a possibility, but she'll have to really be on her A-game at Junior Nationals.

Well then it's crucial that Kanysheva qualifies for junior RusNats which will probably be the criteria for Youth Olympics.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Well then it's crucial that Kanysheva qualifies for junior RusNats which will probably be the criteria for Youth Olympics.

I think the entries for the Youth Olympics are due in December last time I checked. I’m sure they can declare preliminary entries/subs and make replacements later on, but she probably needs to be in good condition by December to be considered. Requirements are born 2003-2005, so the 3A are also eligible in addition to Sinitsina, Tarakanova, Vasilieva, Kanysheva, and Frolova. Not sure if RusFed would send any of the 3A back to junior for this event or not, but since not everyone can go to Euros/worlds I wonder if they will.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I think the entries for the Youth Olympics are due in December last time I checked. I’m sure they can declare preliminary entries/subs and make replacements later on, but she probably needs to be in good condition by December to be considered. Requirements are born 2003-2005, so the 3A are also eligible in addition to Sinitsina, Tarakanova, Vasilieva, Kanysheva, and Frolova. Not sure if RusFed would send any of the 3A back to junior for this event or not, but since not everyone can go to Euros/worlds I wonder if they will.

Interesting. Well, maybe if anyone of the 3A won't make the GPF, RusFed might send that girl to Youth Olympics?

Happy Skates

Final Flight

junior RusNats are after the Youth Olympics, so in this case it would be more helpful to qualify to Senior Nats and place above at least two of Tarakanova, Sinitsyna, and Vasilieva. Someone else mentioned sending one of the 3A, and thats also a possibility if one (or more) of them doesn't go to worlds/Euros, although they would have to re-arrange both programs to junior rules which would be a hastle, since I'm guessing none of them planned on competing in any junior events.